Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: world's most expensive 914 door latch cam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
recently took a door apart to repair the latch problem, and look what we found!

Guy must have spent hours making this all metal door latch cam, when he could have just called up and ordered our nylon 11 version for a few bucks. The door latch cam was the very first reproduction 914 part we ever made, back in 1986. Have sold thousands, guaranteed it for life and never had a warranty claim!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Ferg
That right there is a testament to a generation of tinkerers we are loosing. Whoever made that I'd love to buy him a beer.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
me too

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 3 2018, 01:38 PM) *

That right there is a testament to a generation of tinkerers we are loosing. Whoever made that I'd love to buy him a beer.

bigkensteele
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 3 2018, 12:44 PM) *

me too

QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 3 2018, 01:38 PM) *

agree.gif My grandfather and subsequently my dad could manage to make damn near anything outlive itself by similar methods, but I have to admit that part is one of the best bush fixes I have seen. beerchug.gif
porschetub
Not what works for me but hats off to a really old school fix,people with good sense and fabricating skills are thinning out.
GeorgeRud
Had a good friend that was a machinist and he always amazed me with his capabilities. I agree that it’s shameful how skills like this are being lost on younger generations.
Mikey914
When we were looking into making these we had requests to make them in metal. Easy enough, the problem is that it puts way too much stress on the flap handle. This was obviously a guy that had access to machining equipment. I get it, it is very satisfying to make something that solves a problem. Sometimes it's not about the cost. biggrin.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 3 2018, 01:36 PM) *

can you imagine how long this took to make?

Hour, maybe 2. When have you shipped an item that fast....

We don't even get deliveries in 2 hours from the Dealer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.