Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most informative book on 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tirefriar
Hello to all,

Pretty certain this may have been covered elsewhere in the forum, just couldn't find where but I am looking for what would be considered the best book in terms of information and details on a 914. I have book by Karl Ludvigsen "Porsche: Excellence was Expected" but was hoping for something that was specifically all about the 914.

All advice is greatly appreciated.
mankowski
I recommend the Haynes manual and the Tech Tips 700. Both are easily found on the internet and have been very helpful to me over the years.
tirefriar
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't own a 914 yet, but will be on the market soon. I want to research on the differences within the model range which years are best and why, etc. there are several books on amazon, just not sure which has the most complete info.
Coondog
As stated above the 914 Drs. book is a must have.
Tech Tips 700: A Complete Technical Guide to the VW-Porsche 914
Then read every 914 tech article on Pelicans website to include our own Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum and the Restoration and Build Threads.
Of course don’t forget to ask questions, there are so many talented 914 owners on this site who are more then happy to help you.
billsimmeth
Hi and welcome! If you're looking for info on the various model year differences, Dr Brett Johnson's "Authenticity Guide" is a pretty good compilation. He presents just the facts though, no opinions expressed as to what's better/worse. Amazon link.

Good luck on your car hunt!
mepstein
The best 914 is the one with the least rust.
914forme
agree.gif with Mark, find the best one you can. 914 is like a lego set, get the best set you can afford and latter you can add pieces to make it yours.

But for a list of books, the most informative one is this one, and it too has of mis-information about our beloved 914. As a general read about the car and its history.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I would like to find the 914 Sportswagen and restore it, talk about rare.

Only catch is you need to be able to read German or know someone who is willing to translate or read you a bed time story. laugh.gif

As far as technical books go.

I find the Parts diagram to be indispensable !!!!!!

Factory manuals are nice to have also.

After that you are correct I have an additions 20 books on the 914 exclusively, and another 40 or so that mention it in a descriptor or briefly.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.