Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AJB
Hey everyone,
I haven't been on here for ages - since I had to get rid of my 914 due to financial problems back during the dark days. However, things have moved on and I'm now able to think about getting another one.

the problem is that during these last few years I have suffered left knee issues and have real problems if I have to push a clutch pedal up and down repeatedly. So I now tend to drive only Auto trans cars.

Whilst it may seem to many to be sacrilege (I have medical reasons so please don't abuse me too much!), I have a question for kind people on here. Are any of you aware if an auto trans swap has been done into a 914?

I was thinking a VW type 4 box would bolt right up - but as they were rear engined and not mid it would be spinning the wrong way. Or what about a Boxster box?

This might never happen but I'm just wondering if it's been done before - or even possible! I did try and search but couldn't find anything relevant.

Thanks in advance!
mb911
QUOTE(AJB @ Jul 4 2018, 04:57 AM) *

Hey everyone,
I haven't been on here for ages - since I had to get rid of my 914 due to financial problems back during the dark days. However, things have moved on and I'm now able to think about getting another one.

the problem is that during these last few years I have suffered left knee issues and have real problems if I have to push a clutch pedal up and down repeatedly. So I now tend to drive only Auto trans cars.

Whilst it may seem to many to be sacrilege (I have medical reasons so please don't abuse me too much!), I have a question for kind people on here. Are any of you aware if an auto trans swap has been done into a 914?

I was thinking a VW type 4 box would bolt right up - but as they were rear engined and not mid it would be spinning the wrong way. Or what about a Boxster box?

This might never happen but I'm just wondering if it's been done before - or even possible! I did try and search but couldn't find anything relevant.

Thanks in advance!

I will ultimately be working on a setup for my dad like this. Probably a boxster trans or there is a servo activated clutch system sold in India called an auto clutch. That would still work for your needs..

Those kits sell on ebay or you could also reach out to a company that retrofits cars for folks with disabilities..
ClayPerrine
Find a sportomatic and put it in the car.

Still get the fun of shifting, but no clutch.

AJB
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 4 2018, 02:19 PM) *

Find a sportomatic and put it in the car.

Still get the fun of shifting, but no clutch.

I wasn't aware Porsche did this, so I've just been reading up (https://www.total911.com/technology-explained-sportomatic-gearbox/). They must be quite a rare beast - and wouldn't they also be rotating the wrong way due to the 911 rear engine set up? Or is this easily overcome?
GeorgeRud
No issues as it really only entails flipping the ring and pinion gear. Their actually was a Sportomatic available for the 914, but I’ve never seen one and they are in fact very rare. I think Ben’s idea of adapting a Boxster trans (or installing the automatic clutch) may end up being easier. I have similar issues as you and hope to be able to once again drive my cars so I wish you well. I guess getting older is better than the alternative!
bdstone914
I saw an auto trans conversion that I think used an Audi trans. It was built for a lady that could not use a clutch pedal. He is in central California. Not sure if he still has the car. It can be done. One challenge is cooling for the trans. Cooling the trans will be an issue. Most automatic transmissions are in water cooled cars allowing use of a liquid to liquid heat exchanger. It will probably be necessary to use an oil to air cooler on a 914 conversion. Cooler would need to be in a good air flow path.

I had a VW type III squareback with an auto trans. They only used a fined torque converter for cooling which was marginally adaquete. Had to rebuild the trans which back then only cost be $26 for the rebuild kit and my labor to install it.
I think only three 914 Sportomatics were know to be build and those were 914-6.
AJB
The sportomatic looks like an interesting option that I wasn't aware of - thank you. And there are some boxes available on ebay, so they're not as rare as I initially imagined they would be. Getting the switch on the gear lever working might be a challenge, but nothing is impossible. Are the semi auto boxes in the Beetle a similar idea?

So are there any other options? Would an auto box from a type 4 VW work if the pinion and ring gear were flipped over?
ClayPerrine
The vanagon auto transmission should be a bold up. Get the flex plate with it.

The only thing you would need to do is fabricate a rear transmission mount.

IPB Image
Chris H.
Yes the Vanagon could work. You might not like the gearing though. 65 mph you're turning well over 3k. Wait...NO! The Vanagon trans runs in the reverse of what you would need. It's rear facing like a 911. Would not be worth trying to get it to run the other way.

I think the automatic 914 had a FWD Audi 5000 trans from the '80's. Similar to the Vanagon but the gearing was better.
xperu
QUOTE(AJB @ Jul 4 2018, 07:57 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Somewhere in the forum history there is a thread that went into depth about this. You may want to do a search on automatic xmissions. Even had a lot of pictures. Mike Kelly
JRust
I know that Audi transmission car. Mark (computers4kids) had bought it. I know he sold since then but car ran great. Obviously it was a bit slower but not ridiculously so. I can't remember how it was mated to the motor though. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=101948&hl=

If doing this type of conversion I would sure consider an all subaru drivetrain. Get more power with your motor & have them matched to each other already. So no adapter plated from drivetrain. Just have to build a cradle for them.
Steve
Not a fan of 4 speed autos. I would love to see a Subi motor and auto trans. I love my subi BRZ with six speed auto.
Dave_Darling
I believe the 914 Sporto had an extra oil pump and tank (or part of the tank). There were no four-cylinder series-built Sporto cars, so there isn't an extant recipe for them.

The Audi box seems to be the easiest and most feasible way to go.

The Boxster trans may be doable, but you'll have to work out how to mount the starter. I do know that there has been at least one Boxster trans (manual, though) on a Six. I'd think the computerized controls for the auto would be a lot of added complexity...

A complete drive-train swap is an attractive notion, if you're not interested in keeping an ai-cooled motor. Scooby, Audi (we have a couple of 1.8T swaps around here), or similar.

--DD
Rand
The Sporto was a cool thing, and brings the super cool factor to a build if you want unique. But reality, she nods her head in and says a full Suby drivetrain makes way more practical sense.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 4 2018, 11:13 AM) *

Not a fan of 4 speed autos. I would love to see a Subi motor and auto trans. I love my subi BRZ with six speed auto.

The Subie auto trans is freakin' HEAVY.... I ended up going with 225# rear springs and adjustable kit from Rebel Racing just to handle it all but I'm thinking about the possibilities of the Audi 6 spd manual because it has the final gearing that I really want. All of the Subaru auto trans weigh a ton but would work well if you decide to go with the whole Subie package.
AJB
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 4 2018, 09:10 PM) *

...I'd think the computerized controls for the auto would be a lot of added complexity...

Yes - I also think this would be an issue. Whilst I'm sure it isn't impossible, it's an added complication that I could do without!

Sounds like an Audi box might be the most likely then - or a Subi drivetrain, but I'm kinda an old school, air cooled kinda guy
struckn
A problem that I remember hearing about with using a VW Tiptronic Auto was no one could come up with a way to mount the Engine Starter.
914forme
Boxster or Audi ZF 5hp24 and then you'll need the controller it is no longer being produced headbang.gif.

As for the Sporto yes you need a different oil pump, yes you will need an oil tank,

In reality why?

Convert to a a system designed for people who have a disability. Been there once and found thesehere.

Chris914n6
Sounds like you have what I called 'clutch knee', from diving a manual to work everyday. Now that I don't do that anymore the knee problem has gone, so I can drive a 914 all weekend with no adverse effects. I also did some muscle strengthening exercises.

A 90s Subaru Impreza/Legacy would give the better result, plus A/C. An engine bay radiator has been done with the little 2.2L. ECU/TCU wiring is quite basic.

The Passat/A4 with Autostick would be trick but it gets alot more complicated with the electronics.
jjs3rd914
Back in the 80's I had a 1972 VW TypeIV wagen which was a great car before it rusted away in the northeast. I rebuild the 1.7 D-Jet engine and the Auto transmission. Car ran great. Tranny was easy to rebuild, but now I would assume parts might be very hard to get.

As others have pointed out, am not sure the ring and pinion could be flipped as it too was rear engine. If it could that could be one solution as it of course bolted to a type 4 engine.

Also I wonder if it was the same tranny used in the later Type 2 and vanagons. If so parts might be easier to get.

The cars are impossible to find now, but I always wondered if one could put a 914 (901) 5 speed it it as we know the 901 you can flip the ring/pinion. Thought it would be a fun project for a fun daily driver.

jjs3rd914
Mr Beckstar
Yes, the VW bus with type 4 engine was available with auto transmission after about 1974. The early 003 transmission had a vacuum kick down whilst the later (post August 1975) 010 transmission had a mechanical kick down. I’ve got a 1976 bus with the latter 010 transmission. The same basic trans was fitted to VW Rabbit, VW Scirocco, VW Dasher, Audi 100 and Audi Fox.

Here’s a photo of mine when I pulled the engine for a rebuild
Click to view attachment
Mr Beckstar
Click to view attachment
Mr Beckstar
Sorry, I have no idea why these photos are displaying sideways. They’re not sideways on my iPad.
Mr Beckstar
Click to view attachment
Mr Beckstar
One out of three isn’t too bad I suppose confused24.gif
AJB
QUOTE(Mr Beckstar @ Jul 17 2018, 03:01 AM) *

Yes, the VW bus with type 4 engine was available with auto transmission after about 1974. The early 003 transmission had a vacuum kick down whilst the later (post August 1975) 010 transmission had a mechanical kick down. I’ve got a 1976 bus with the latter 010 transmission. The same basic trans was fitted to VW Rabbit, VW Scirocco, VW Dasher, Audi 100 and Audi Fox.

Here’s a photo of mine when I pulled the engine for a rebuild

Thanks for that. It looks like this could be the ideal solution IF the crown wheel and pinion can be flipped. Another (non 914) idea might be to carry out this conversion on a Karmann Ghia instead. At least the engine / box assembly is pointing the right way.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.