Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Widebody LS6 rebuild.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
dan10101
Question for those running 930 axles. I seem to be missing 2 of the 6 bolts on both sides connecting to the hubs. It doesn't seem to be random. 2 bolts, missing 1, 2 more bolts missing 1. Same on both sides.

Is this the way they work?

Thanks.
Dan

tygaboy
Are there missing roll pins? I don't know the 930 set up...
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 21 2019, 06:22 PM) *

Are there missing roll pins? I don't know the 930 set up...

Not sure, I don't have it apart.

I know 944s have problems with the allen bolts backing out. I just think it's odd that it's so uniform.

Maybe Paul will chime in if he knows.
bbrock
I suspect roll pins too, but also don't know 930s. Just seems too coincidental.
Andyrew
@mike bellisMaybe Mike knows? I know he runs 930 cvs
dan10101
Despite the question on the drive axles. Today was a great day!

I finally was able to put some miles on the car. 20 or so.

With gas in the tank and the brakes and steering working well, I was confident to apply some power.

This thing is going to be a blast!

The video is still a bit long, but thought you might want to see it (well mostly hear it) in action.

first full throttle
dan10101
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 21 2019, 06:40 PM) *

I suspect roll pins too, but also don't know 930s. Just seems too coincidental.

It looks like you and Chris are right. In my searching I found this. I guess I could look for 6 bolt hubs if it becomes a problem. But I think 10mm and Tight is right should keep it going.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1888769

Cracker
Dan,

I had my machine shop drill those out so I could have six bolts...they also made my spacers as well. I highly doubt you will have an issue. Make sure you routinely torque them to spec though - they will loosen up. Safety wire or bend a washer up on one side wouldn't be the worst idea either...

Keep it shiny side up!

Tony
dan10101
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 22 2019, 07:10 AM) *

Dan,

I had my machine shop drill those out so I could have six bolts...they also made my spacers as well. I highly doubt you will have an issue. Make sure you routinely torque them to spec though - they will loosen up. Safety wire or bend a washer up on one side wouldn't be the worst idea either...

Keep it shiny side up!

Tony

Thanks, that is an option..

The more I think about it, I'll probably just leave it until it becomes a problem. Yes checking them regularly for tightness.

The pins themselves seem pretty stout and tighter than the bolts. As long at the bolts are tight it should work well.
Zippy69
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 21 2019, 07:39 PM) *

Despite the question on the drive axles. Today was a great day!

I finally was able to put some miles on the car. 20 or so.

With gas in the tank and the brakes and steering working well, I was confident to apply some power.

This thing is going to be a blast!

The video is still a bit long, but thought you might want to see it (well mostly hear it) in action.

first full throttle

Your wife is very brave. Mine didn't like riding in the car. I see the heat still works lol
Zippy69
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 20 2019, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 20 2019, 07:26 AM) *

If I know my dad, I know what color he wont paint it biggrin.gif (Orange/yellow)

His head is like this.

59% Red (Because, thats what color sports cars should be)
30% White (Because thats easy, its a familiar color to the car, and racecar)
10% Silver/blue/black (Because there are some cool options out there)
1% Primer (Because thats the way it'll stay for a while and he may never paint it)

first.gif

Or a very close second.

There is another option.
A very light grey (almost white) with black accents. I'm not normally a fan of 'non colors'. But this appeals to me

I would put this one at about 25%. So I guess I would have to take 25% from Red and use Red accents wherever I can.

34% Red (Because, thats what color sports cars should be)
30% White with Red or Black accents(Because thats easy, its a familiar color to the car, and racecar)
25% Light Grey
10% Silver/blue/black (Because there are some cool options out there)
1% Primer (Because thats the way it'll stay for a while and he may never paint it)
If it's primer, it's White Primer... (because I have a gallon of it...)

I had to wash out this picture to get the grey close. It's still a bit to dark but pretty close.
Click to view attachment

White would be easiest. Could do white with green accents and turn into the mythical grasshopper?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1107608203.jpg
Zippy69
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 22 2019, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 22 2019, 07:10 AM) *

Dan,

Keep it shiny side up!

Tony

Thanks, that is an option..

The more I think about it, I'll probably just leave it until it becomes a problem. Yes checking them regularly for tightness.

The pins themselves seem pretty stout and tighter than the bolts. As long at the bolts are tight it should work well.

Bolts never backed off in my experience.
Zippy69
QUOTE(My 914 @ Mar 20 2019, 04:12 AM) *

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 18 2019, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(My 914 @ Mar 18 2019, 02:50 AM) *

I think it would look great in red.

I've been a Visualizing... smile.gif

But, my wife is voting for white with stripes.
My issue is if it goes to red, every time I have a stone nick I'll show white thru the red. And for a 75% track car, it will be a lot of nicks.

Click to view attachment

Since your wife was supportive, I think her vote counts a lot.

+1 for stripes as an homage to the Ford GT outlining the hood tunnel!
dan10101
QUOTE(Zippy69 @ Mar 22 2019, 11:40 AM) *

White would be easiest. Could do white with green accents and turn into the mythical grasshopper?

My wife was the first in this family to get a 914. We were dating at the time and as the story goes, I married the girl to get the car. The car is long gone but the Girl is till here 38 years later. I took her on Thunderhill racetrack a couple years back. Looking at us in the car you would think we were tooling around in the foothills. The only difference is she wasn't telling me to slow down.

Her car started out green. We were never a fan of green. It's funny that when she bought the first one it was wrecked in the front end too. But she immediately had it fixed and painted Burgandy. Probably cost her all of $600.

No, White is likely to be the choice out of practicality. She mentioned after the ride that we needed to get it painted and finished right. It's still a bit on the rough side for her. I am falling in love with the graphics. I wonder if the company where you bought the orange stripes and lettering is still in business. I would have them redo them in a nice red.

Click to view attachment
sb914
I had that Same sticker on my first 914 rear window.It’s a Hawaii sticker btw.
Andyrew
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 22 2019, 01:06 PM) *

I am falling in love with the graphics. I wonder if the company where you bought the orange stripes and lettering is still in business. I would have them redo them in a nice red.

I really like the side graphics on the car as well. Really brings together the lines of the car.
dan10101
I made it!

My 1st goal was to finish the car well enough to drive in the SSCC Enduro. Practice was today and the car did well. 5 practice runs over 2 min each. Granted Sunday is the timed run, but things look good.

Overall, it ran well, didn't overhead, started every time. I drove it to and from the event rather than trailering. No tools were taken out of the bag. Accelerated well, stopped well (or so I thought) and turned without major oversteer or understeer.

Rode hard and put away wet. Well, most of the day was dry, and the wipers work!
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Wow...very exciting to see such success. Congratulations on your accomplishments in getting this beast back on the road.

beerchug.gif

I hope see your car in person one day.

Oscar
dan10101
Well, the enduro is in the books. Lap times were an embarrassment, but I don't care, it was a rush driving the car finally.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Well, back to work. I have a long list before the next event!
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Andyrew
smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif driving.gif cheer.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Woot!!!
JRust
I love the rear valance on that car! Hell I love damn near everything about that car. So great to see you driving it Dan. Especially on the track piratenanner.gif
JeffBowlsby
Thought about freshening up the graphics? One conceptual solution...extending the center stripe(s) into the bumpers to tie it all together.
dan10101
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 1 2019, 09:22 PM) *

Thought about freshening up the graphics? One conceptual solution...extending the center stripe(s) into the bumpers to tie it all together.

I really like the graphics on the car now. When I look at the one side then the other, it's night and day. Plain white won't do it. Maybe a solid color. (no white isn't a color, it's the absence of all color)

bbrock
It's hard for me to wrap my brain around how much work you've done in such a short time. You should be very proud! smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif pray.gif

I also love the graphics on your car. It's beautiful.
Zippy69
Great to see the car back on track!

Congrats Dan!
Cairo94507
Very happy to see this car back on the road. Incredible machine and I am glad you got it together and got to take it on the track. Job well done. beerchug.gif
mbseto
Beautiful car! Nice to see 'em driven in earnest.
dan10101
Thanks guys I appreciate the kind thoughts.
Knowing that I'm just a cog in the belt on this one.

Sure is fun to have horsepower.

I'm getting ready to tear into it again to do the lifters.

And I'm not happy with the alignment. I'm pretty certain the front struts are bent, one in and one out. Not bad, and it does align, but could be better. So I have those coming soon.

I adjusted the brake balance bar and they are working better.

I also played with the shifter and it's working better too.

I need to work on the drivers door and get the window functional. Since it's gutted I'll probably do lexan with a strap.

Then I want to make swing out door bars for the cage. Know one I know can negotiate regular door bars.

Still looking for some used wheels and tires. Something in the 18x10 with a deep offset. Even 17x10 might work if I can get tires.

Of course I still need to finish up the body work. Fix some cracks, hood, valance, etc.

About a dozen little things left to do. But, if it was finished, I'd be bored. (not really I'm sure my wife has projects.)

dan10101
I'm overdue for an update.

I pulled the engine apart looking for a reason for the noise. I did find a couple problems, but nothing serious. I changed the lifters and put it back together.

A very short sentence describing more than a weeks worth of work. the bottom line is that I'm confident that things are good inside. It is quieter, but not completely. I think now it's to the point that others have described as 'normal'

Click to view attachment

I did my second autocross today. Other than finding the limits of old tires the car did fine.

Next week strut housings and another alignment.
and the search for wheels goes on...
Mueller
So great to see you driving the car! Must be a blast with all that torque!
billium01
Car looks awesome! May I ask what kind of performance figures you get? 0-60 time, 1/4 mile?

dan10101
QUOTE(billium01 @ Apr 21 2019, 04:53 PM) *

Car looks awesome! May I ask what kind of performance figures you get? 0-60 time, 1/4 mile?

I can only tell you what the original builder achieved for times. With very old tires, all I get so far is spinning tires. Even punching it at 50 causes the tires to spin in 2nd. Tires are next on my list.

R/T .041
60 1.723
330 4.919
1/8 7.410
MPH 97.93
1000 9.537
1/4 11.289
MPH 131.42

from this thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=87867&hl=

disclaimer. The engine is now detuned slightly with a smaller cam. It reduced it by about ~35hp. It still is around 500 crank hp.

0-60 was somewhere around 3.5 sec.
With the rev limit changed and slightly taller tires, it could do it in 1st gear.

billium01
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Apr 21 2019, 07:00 PM) *

I can only tell you what the original builder achieved for times. With very old tires, all I get so far is spinning tires. Even punching it at 50 causes the tires to spin in 2nd. Tires are next on my list.

R/T .041
60 1.723
330 4.919
1/8 7.410
MPH 97.93
1000 9.537
1/4 11.289
MPH 131.42

from this thread

disclaimer. The engine is now detuned slightly with a smaller cam. It reduced it by about ~35hp. It still is around 500 crank hp.

With the rev limit changed and slightly taller tires, it could do it in 1st gear.

Nice! That's a beast!
Zippy69
QUOTE(billium01 @ Apr 21 2019, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Apr 21 2019, 07:00 PM) *

R/T .041
60 1.723
330 4.919
1/8 7.410
MPH 97.93
1000 9.537
1/4 11.289
MPH 131.42

from this thread

Nice! That's a beast!

While the cam change lowered the HP by between 25 - 35 HP there are some substantial improvements since these 1/4 mile numbers were posted. The motor wasn't running right when these numbers were posted. Since then the mass air flow meter was removed and a speed density tune was performed, and tune up was done. PCV system was rerouted with filter added for additional crankcase ventilation. Substantial improvements were made to entire clutch and shifter system so car now shifts way better. Additionally the numbers wee posted with street tires.

With trap speeds close to 132 MPH the car should be in the high 10 sec range now in the 1/4 mile with the right tires. I always wanted to bring the car to a standing mile race as I believe it would do very well in it's class. burnout.gif

When I owned the car the nickname I had for it was THE BEAST.
dan10101
QUOTE(Zippy69 @ May 1 2019, 05:10 AM) *

While the cam change lowered the HP by between 25 - 35 HP there are some substantial improvements since these 1/4 mile numbers were posted. The motor wasn't running right when these numbers were posted. Since then the mass air flow meter was removed and a speed density tune was performed, and tune up was done. PCV system was rerouted with filter added for additional crankcase ventilation. Substantial improvements were made to entire clutch and shifter system so car now shifts way better. Additionally the numbers wee posted with street tires.

With trap speeds close to 132 MPH the car should be in the high 10 sec range now in the 1/4 mile with the right tires. I always wanted to bring the car to a standing mile race as I believe it would do very well in it's class. burnout.gif

The local dragstrip has a roll racing date set. That might be fun.

It does seem to be putting the power to the ground. Maybe when I get my sticky tires it will hold better.

The engine is running great, It's shifting well, I'm waiting on some new brake pads and maybe a trip to the drag strip is in order.

When I got my Jeep running, my Wife called it The Beast. I renamed it "Vincent".

I haven't come up with a name for the 914. I actually have about 50, Here are a couple..
Morpheus
Phoenix
Anastasia
Prometheus
Pandora
Serenity
Christine

Click to view attachment
Zippy69
QUOTE(dan10101 @ May 1 2019, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Zippy69 @ May 1 2019, 05:10 AM) *

The local dragstrip has a roll racing date set. That might be fun.

It does seem to be putting the power to the ground. Maybe when I get my sticky tires it will hold better.

The engine is running great, It's shifting well, I'm waiting on some new brake pads and maybe a trip to the drag strip is in order.

When I got my Jeep running, my Wife called it The Beast. I renamed it "Vincent".

I haven't come up with a name for the 914. I actually have about 50, Here are a couple..
Morpheus
Phoenix
Anastasia
Prometheus
Pandora
Serenity
Christine

Click to view attachment

Some called it THE SCREAMSICLE

Of course would require same paint scheme!

djway
Is your wifes name Catherine?
You could call it Neo as it has come back to life anew smile.gif
KELTY360
Judging from the pic of the pavement, you might want to call it....Stripes.
Andyrew
QUOTE(djway @ May 2 2019, 10:23 PM) *

Ohhh OOohhh Idea!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_(1940_film)

IPB Image

Read the plot, watch the trailer.

His wife (my mother)'s name is Rebecca but she hates the name and goes by Becky..

happy11.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 3 2019, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(djway @ May 2 2019, 10:23 PM) *

Ohhh OOohhh Idea!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_(1940_film)

IPB Image

Read the plot, watch the trailer.

His wife (my mother)'s name is Rebecca but she hates the name and goes by Becky..

happy11.gif

Wow what a plot. Back when movies were Movies...
Lets see how that would work in a wild 914

Bill (as Rebecca's Dad) creates Rebecca and her early years and she is a wild one.

She finds Paul (Maxim). She gets fixed again and again. She's still wild and unfettered, not ready to play nice.

Well, I think Rebecca (as the early Screamsicle) was was a curvy character that flaunts her stuff drawing in other Men and then casting them aside. She was a wild woman that plays with life in her own way until an accident takes her life.

She comes back wearing the same outfit that she had in the past. That didn't go over well. So "Caroline" is reintroduced as the new main character.

So, Maxim, (now played by Dan) is the male character is there with this cute girl now played by Caroline. She's takes on a new look treating her Man as a woman should. Going this distance for many years to come!

(or something like that) shades.gif
Andyrew
popcorn[1].gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ry2aSwBqX0
horizontally-opposed
Wow. What a saga—and what a great result! Love seeing that car covered in rain drops.

As to color/graphics, I keep seeing this car in very dark blue—like Meerblau—with no graphics at all. Not sure what wheels with that, maybe even Meerblau also?

What are your plans for the headlight covers? Have always wanted to see a 914 with the "brows" removed, even if that means the aero ain't good when they're up. Have to think it might look great with the Ultimate 914 body, which is one of the best ever figured out for the 914.

Whatever you do from here, you've already won. This was a cool car before, and now it's even cooler as it's story has a new turn. Nice work!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
horizontally-opposed
This car is always the one I go back to....

dan10101
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 3 2019, 12:35 PM) *

Wow. What a saga—and what a great result! Love seeing that car covered in rain drops.

As to color/graphics, I keep seeing this car in very dark blue—like Meerblau—with no graphics at all. Not sure what wheels with that, maybe even Meerblau also?

What are your plans for the headlight covers? Have always wanted to see a 914 with the "brows" removed, even if that means the aero ain't good when they're up. Have to think it might look great with the Ultimate 914 body, which is one of the best ever figured out for the 914.

Whatever you do from here, you've already won. This was a cool car before, and now it's even cooler as it's story has a new turn. Nice work!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks Pete.
I'm just lazy with the brows. I need to put in on the list so I get to it. I thought about adding some fiberglass to the nose and make it once piece.

In fact future plans include moving the headlights into the turn signal housings.

I like Blue. The meerblau looks good. But if it's a solid color it will be Red. I agree on graphics, Solid color needs none or very little. But white needs the accents and looks good with them.

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 3 2019, 12:40 PM) *

This car is always the one I go back to....

The details on this car are amazing, first time I saw it was Monterey Historics 1998, in the Kinesis Wheel tent. Something about sinister dark (looked black in the tent) exterior and the red anodized wheels aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
1998 epic agree.gif
dan10101
Well @Andyrew is going gangbusters. I figured I'd do an update on mine.

So I've been working on the yard more then the car lately. But I did get some stuff done.

I needed to make it somewhat less beastly for my Wife to ride any amount of time.
Plus I wanted to make it able to lock the car properly. So I reassembled the disassembled (gutted) drivers door. Now the window rolls up and down. Door card in place handles etc all work. Speaker reinstalled. I also installed the speaker in the passenger door. I used the JVC head unit from my BMW. The 4 speakers and the receiver work well together and put out a nice sound. Most of the time I'll be listening to the motor, but if I have to put in some highway miles, a Stereo is nice.

I also rigged up a horn button. Rather than diagnose why the existing one didn't work. confused24.gif

The taillights didn't flash the right color. One side did, the other didn't.
So I pulled them all off and swapped them around then ended up putting them back on the same posts and it worked. (I swear, really, they are on the same posts and now it works. )

I hardwired the rear view mirror, (and camera). eliminating another wire going to the cig lighter. There was already wiring there going to the old 993 mirror that I was able to reuse.

I removed the passenger side door bar so nobody throws their back out getting in the passenger seat. Both sides will end up getting removable door bars once the new roll bar hoop is installed.

I installed the dash knee pad to get it the more finished look it deserves.

Going back a ways I'm not sure what I've told the group. So some of this may be repeats.

At the last autocross it was a bit embarrassing that the brakes were outrageously loud. Some of that was the track pads, but the ebrake shoes were lifting off the seat and rubbing on the rotor causing an ugly noise. A shim to strengthen the spring seems to have fixed it. I also orders some compromise brake pads (Stoptech Street Performance) that seem to stop well and not squeak. Also the rear brakes were not working. Probably why it didn't stop at the last autocross when the front tires got wet. I adjusted the balance bar and double checked the brake bias knob. Now I'm finally getting heat into the rear brakes.

The clutch was slipping, So I made an adjustment and it seems to be working correctly.

The battery drains if I don't flip the switch at night. So I bought one of those pocket jumper boxes. I wouldn't work with the battery dead dead. But hopefully it will work with just a low battery. I'll need to do some troubleshooting and see what is causing that.

I finally put the eyebrows in for the headlights. That will need to be redone, but it's better than none.

Sorry, internet is so slow that a small picture takes an hour or more. Not much to show anyway.
Andyrew
beerchug.gif Progress!
infraredcalvin
Wow, great work, thanks for sharing all of this! Read through it all last night and finished off this morning. It gave me a little motivation to clean up the shop a bit and get a little work on my car today.
dan10101
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ May 11 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Wow, great work, thanks for sharing all of this! Read through it all last night and finished off this morning. It gave me a little motivation to clean up the shop a bit and get a little work on my car today.

I'm glad it help you in some way.
We all need a little motivation sometime.

Hmm, clean up the shop... Yeah, that'd be good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.