Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusty seams under the sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sholman5
Started to do a little surface rust repair on the front strut towers. Upon further inspection and to my suprise I was greeted with more surface rust. Decided to peel away some of the seam sealer and here is what I found. More rust, luckily not rotted through. Fuel tank is being removed along with the fresh air system. Then sand blast the entire compartment. My question is, what type or brand of sealer is the best to use. When I removed the oem sealer I could feel that it was retaining moisture, very porous. Any help would be appreciated.

Thnx Chris
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
I believe you want to prime the area first, then seam seal over that. As for products, I am in the same boat as you looking for ideas.
sholman5
Will use por 15 on all off the seams prior to sealing. There are some very good products out there. Automotive sealers that are used for bonding panels together during assembly, but they come at a cost. Measure twice cut once. Do it right the first time.
altitude411
dry.gif fook Por 15... use a rust converter not a rust cover and creator.
mepstein
I would think you want an etch primer, prior to seam sealer.
914GT
If you go with a sprayable seam sealer use an epoxy primer or 2K direct-to-metal urethane primer first. Seam sealers can be incompatible with one component primers. Check the manufacturers tech data to make sure.
bbrock
I have my chassis on a rotisserie in the process of final media blasting after stripping undercoating and seam sealer. I found lots of spots like yours under the sealer. My plan is to blast, then soak down all seams with phosphoric acid to let it seep in and convert the rust. Then neutralize with water followed by boiling the water out of the seams with a heat gun. Then several weeks baking in a hot tent to make sure everything is dry before spraying with 2K epoxy followed by seam sealer. I'm also interested in suggestions for seam sealer.
cary
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 5 2018, 04:40 PM) *

I believe you want to prime the area first, then seam seal over that. As for products, I am in the same boat as you looking for ideas.

Yes ...................

MiddleMotors and Rothsport use 2 part Fusor products in gun applications. If your going with a can of brush on. Go with Evercoat. It lasts a lot longer than the 3m stuff. Brushes out much easier. IMHO
Jeff Hail
Better start checking the underside of the cowl now. Usual place is the space between the fenders and cowl (corner at the hood -all the way back to the windshield pillar.) . If you have any rust collecting anywhere above the hood release handle mounting area you most likely have a leak that's dripping and wicking under the seam sealer. Get a decent size mirror and a light under there.

You photo is typical on the driver side, drips from the above the hood hinge down onto the apron sealer joint and follows gravity.
sholman5
Click to view attachment
Pulled the tank and fresh air system. Not to bad underneath just surface rust, seam sealer looks good , but going to remove it and reseal it. Tomorrow will start to remove the seam sealer and rust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.