Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to Understand Balancing of Rotating Mass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
For all of you that have had your rotating mass balanced, I have a few questions:

1) Is the crank spun with the gears and/or woodruff keys installed?

2) Is the fan spun with the crank or is it usually balanced separately?

3) Does the bobweight include the rod bearings, pistons rings, a circlip ndweights?

And lastly, can someone recommend a shop in San Diego, preferably North County, that can do this work.

Probably doesn't matter, but this is a T4 build with 96mm KB pistons and AA H-beam rods, stock 71mm crank.
Mark Henry
Most parts are rough balanced separate then the crank, fan, fly and pp is balanced as a unit. Flat plane crank so IIRC bobwieghts are not used. Rings, etc are not off enough to factor into the balance, but they do need the pins.
The balance shop needs all the hardware to put the crank assembly together.

The shop I use balancing is the only thing they do, any size from a lawnmower to a commercial turbofan engine.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2018, 09:27 PM) *

Most parts are rough balanced separate then the crank, fan, fly and pp is balanced as a unit. Flat plane crank so IIRC bobwieghts are not used. Rings, etc are not off enough to factor into the balance, but they do need the pins.
The balance shop needs all the hardware to put the crank assembly together.

The shop I use balancing is the only thing they do, any size from a lawnmower to a commercial turbofan engine.

Correct, no bob weights....rods done end for end, pistons also equalized.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.