Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCAT Supercase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73-914
was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on using a SCAT Supercase to build a BIG 4
burton73
Looked it up on the web ( $1,035.78) but not sure if it is better than a modified case.

Let our engine guys like Mark Henry chime in on this.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
sithot
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 6 2018, 04:39 PM) *

Looked it up on the web ( $1,035.78) but not sure if it is better than a modified case.

Let our engine guys like Mark Hennery chime in on this.

Bob B
Click to view attachment

Hard to beat a fresh design. Their cranks are great.
FEATURES INCLUDE:

BULLET-PROOF DESIGN-SOLID MAIN WEBS

SIX (6) HOLLOW DOWELS GUARD AGAINST CASE HALVES MOVING AND DISTORTING MAIN BORES

SIX (6) 4140 CHROMOLY STEEL 7/16″ DIAMETER THRU STUDS HOLD TOGETHER THE CASE HALVES.

USED BY THE WORLD’S FASTEST VW RACERS SUCH AS DAVE PERKINS, PRO-TURBO; MIKE STEWIN, PRO-STOCK; JACK SACCHETTEE, SUPER STREET; AND DAMON HARMON, 2003 PRO STOCK NATIONAL CHAMPION – JUST TO NAME A FEW WORLD RECORD HOLDERS

3-PIECE DESIGN WITH INTEGRAL BELL HOUSING AND REMOVABLE FRONT COVER FOR CAM TIMING ADJUSTMENT

EXTRA-LARGE 1/2″ OIL GALLEYS FOR POSITIVE OILING UNDER HARD RACING CONDITIONS
CLEARANCED FOR STROKE CRANKSHAFTS UP TO 90MM

90.5MM TO 101.6MM BORE KITS

WET SUMP CASE FEATURES A 4-1/2″ QUART REMOVABLE OIL PAN WITH EXTERNAL SUMP OIL PICK-UP

CASE TYPE: DRY SUMP (22) OR 4-1/2″ QUART WET SUMP (23)

MAIN JOURNAL SIZE: VW TYPE I, TYPE 4 CENTER, ALL TYPE 4

CASE BORE SIZES: 92MM THRU 101.6MM

FLYWHEEL ATTACHMENT: DOWEL PIN OR FLANGE
mb911
Wow thats cheap..
Mark Henry
It's a Type 1 engine case made for drag racing only. Won't work for the Type 4 engine

The Type 4 reference is some type 1 cranks have a type 4 size center main journal. Some they do all the journals T4 size, but the rest of the spec is VW (or chevy for T1).
My performance T1 78mm Gene Berg forged stroker crank has the T4 size center main journal. Takes a special clevite bearing and then the center split bearing is modified to go in the #2 spot.

The drag racers use type 4 journals to make a stronger T1 drag racing crank with less flex for hard drag race starts/burnouts.
burton73
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 6 2018, 02:50 PM) *

It's a Type 1 engine case made for drag racing only. Won't work for the Type 4 engine

The Type 4 reference is some type 1 cranks have a type 4 size center main journal.
My performance T1 78mm Gene Berg forged stroker crank has the T4 size center main journal. Takes a special clevite bearing and then the center split bearing is modified to go in the #2 spot.

The drag racers use type 4 journals to make a stronger crank with less flex for hard drag race starts/burnouts.

Mark,

Sorry with the spelling of your last name.

And thanks for the info as always!!

Bob B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sithot @ Jul 6 2018, 05:00 PM) *

Hard to beat a fresh design. Their cranks are great.

Nothing new about this, it's been available from Scat since the 80's.

Scat cranks are OK, but for type one the Gene Berg was the gold standard.
My GB 78mm cost me $1200 in 1991, forged in the same swiss factory (machined by GB in USA) that made all of the aircooled VW and porsche cranks back in the day.

Scat cranks have IIRC always been forged in China, machined in the USA by Scat.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 6 2018, 06:03 PM) *

Mark,

Sorry with the spelling of your last name.

And thanks for the info as always!!

Bob B

No problem...just don't call me late for dinner. biggrin.gif
73-914
TNX for the info Mark
Dave_Darling
OK, dumb question time:

Why won't it work? Assuming you get the appropriate crank/rods/pistons/cylinders. Head studs the wrong spacing or layout? Engine mounts in the wrong place? Something else?

--DD
EdwardBlume
Here's a great opportunity for URO?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 7 2018, 04:18 AM) *

OK, dumb question time:

Why won't it work? Assuming you get the appropriate crank/rods/pistons/cylinders. Head studs the wrong spacing or layout? Engine mounts in the wrong place? Something else?

--DD

The type one crank is almost a couple inches shorter than a T4 crank, journals are closer together.
The bearing saddle spacing is different, cylinders are closer together (T4 heads won't fit) head studs have different spacing, cam line bore is closer to the crank line bore. Except for a couple of small parts (like DT cam bearing, dizzy drive gear, etc) nothing is interchangeable between a T1 and a T4.

Even for a Type one this is a drag strip only case, no provisions for cooler, stock cooling system, etc. A drag car using this case will have no cooling system or electric fans for after a run. Most racers running this case are likely running alky.

Although there's always "that guy" you wouldn't use this case for street or a road racing app.
walterolin
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jul 7 2018, 08:24 AM) *

Zing!
Rob-O
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jul 7 2018, 04:24 AM) *

I’ll never understand these sideways jabs. confused24.gif

As 914 owners we should ALL be happy as clams that there are multiple companies supporting our cars. It’s the suppliers we’ve got...or trying to find and purchase, at minimum, 42 year old used parts. News flash, NOBODY is making perfect reproductions and that includes Porsche. If URO has screwed you in the past and didn’t make it right by all means post about it. But then let that be it. These supplier bashing comments and posts make us sound like a bunch of petulant 12 year olds.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 7 2018, 06:33 AM) *

Although there's always "that guy" you wouldn't use this case for street or a road racing app.

Thanks!

Rob-O, there is more history to the 914rubber/URO/914 owners thing than may be apparent at this point. Let's say that there may be reasons to hold a grudge, and there may also be people who hold a grudge too long. (And either of those may be overstating things; I see all of it through my own filter.)

--DD
Rob-O
Yup, Dave, I’ve seen much of the history play out here. Agree with all you said. It’s just sad to see folks always needing to find a horse to whip. George held that title for many years. Now that George doesn’t post as much, URO is getting beat up.

Mikey and URO wanna hash it out between themselves I’m okay with that. But for some third party to make smart ass comments is BS. Don’t like URO, fine by me, don’t buy his stuff. But the comments need to stop.

Guys dying, guys with cancer...our group is getting thinner and thinner. Yet we’re lucky to have this group of suppliers, good or bad. We should seriously be celebrating that instead of hating some guy who’s making parts for our cars who had made a mistake or two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.