Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somewhat OT - Clutch pedal position sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I'm not really at the point yet where I've decided which route to go with respect to an engine, but my question is if I do decide on a swap ,and go with a newer engine with modern day control pack, how do the clutch pedal position sensor and accelerator position sensor integrate?
I'm assuming the new accelerator pedal and sensor are pretty much plug & play and eliminate the OEM throttle cable??? My bigger question is how does the new clutch pedal position sensor interact with the existing clutch cable? Let's assume beefed up 901 trans w/ watercooled 4 cylinder.
I realize these are probably easy answers to many of you, but bear with me...trying to learn. Thanks!
76-914
Don’t even consider the 901 if doing a conversion. It will be more work than using the same model as your conversion engine. It’s a piece of cake to convert to hydraulics using your existing pedal cluster. Then your new drive train will link up to the ECU. If going Subaru, you need the VSS from the transmission to communicate with the factory ECU. beerchug.gif
Craigers17
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 7 2018, 06:26 AM) *

Don’t even consider the 901 if doing a conversion. It will be more work than using the same model as your conversion engine. It’s a piece of cake to convert to hydraulics using your existing pedal cluster. Then your new drive train will link up to the ECU. If going Subaru, you need the VSS from the transmission to communicate with the factory ECU. beerchug.gif

Thanks for the info. I was under the assumption, maybe mistakenly, that many people use the 901 transmission for conversions. I was thinking about a 2.0 Ecoboost. Ford sells an aftermarket PCM with harness which is should be useable on many applications. I'm pretty sure Kennedy already makes the adapter for this engine. What I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around is how the electrical component of the clutch sensor would sync up with the mechanical parts of the 914 clutch cable, shifter, tranny, etc. I guess that's why you're suggesting going with the same model trans as well?
Mike Bellis
Clutch position is just an on/off switch, not actually a position sensor. Foot down, activate switch. I fabricated one but was not happy with it so I just grounded the wire and the starter circuit works. Just make sure it's in neutral or you have the clutch pedal down.
Craigers17
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 7 2018, 05:51 PM) *

Clutch position is just an on/off switch, not actually a position sensor. Foot down, activate switch. I fabricated one but was not happy with it so I just grounded the wire and the starter circuit works. Just make sure it's in neutral or you have the clutch pedal down.

Thanks Mike. I did a little more research and found the aftermarket clutch pedal that accepts the switch part of the harness, so I could use that option or use the method you're suggesting to complete the starter circuit(probably the cheaper option and the one that will allow me to keep the original clutch pedal). Thanks again!
Chris914n6
The clutch pedal is an on/off switch. Purpose is a safety feature to not allow the engine to crank when in gear. It also will disengage the cruise control -- but you will probably need the Ford gauge cluster to make that work. No point in putting the time into adding the switch.

The eGas pedal is Bosch tech, so everything should be 0-5v. BMW, VW and Infiniti make a floor mount pedal, but I think I would just add the circuit to the stock pedal via rod.

I've got a 350z engine upgrade in the works. My best option is an aftermarket ECU and swap in a cable throttle body. Allows me to tune for long-tube headers and anything else I might change from stock.
Craigers17
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 7 2018, 11:24 PM) *

The clutch pedal is an on/off switch. Purpose is a safety feature to not allow the engine to crank when in gear. It also will disengage the cruise control -- but you will probably need the Ford gauge cluster to make that work. No point in putting the time into adding the switch.

The eGas pedal is Bosch tech, so everything should be 0-5v. BMW, VW and Infiniti make a floor mount pedal, but I think I would just add the circuit to the stock pedal via rod.

I've got a 350z engine upgrade in the works. My best option is an aftermarket ECU and swap in a cable throttle body. Allows me to tune for long-tube headers and anything else I might change from stock.

I wonder how difficult it would be to incorporate the aftermarket pedals that Ford provides for this control pack and "flip" the orientation of those to pedals....altering the pedal board maybe. I probably need to go outside and look at my car to actually visualize the possibilities. BTW....thanks for the help!
Chris914n6
You will have to show me what pedal kit you are looking at, the clutch sensor you refer to is new tech.

Also, having just looked up the Ecotec, why not the VW/Audi 2.0T with the matching 5 speed trans? Been done before and I think it's a better package. Money and time wise it would be pretty close, plus it has a decade of aftermarket support.
Craigers17
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 8 2018, 02:03 PM) *

You will have to show me what pedal kit you are looking at, the clutch sensor you refer to is new tech.

Also, having just looked up the Ecotec, why not the VW/Audi 2.0T with the matching 5 speed trans? Been done before and I think it's a better package. Money and time wise it would be pretty close, plus it has a decade of aftermarket support.

I'm keeping all options open. If you have an Audi link, I'd like to see it. The controls pack p/n is M-6017-20T. It includes pretty much everything except the clutch pedal.. p/n BV61-7B633-aa. The controls pack has an online pdf, which is an easy read.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Click the link below in my signature and you will see my Audi conversion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.