Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 suspension swap on 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
I was just wondering, I ran across a complete front and rear susupension removed from a 1990-94 Porsche 911 C2 (Complete with rotors, shocks, calipers, brake pads. Is this the correct years to look for to transfer over to a 1973 Porsche 914 to upgrade to a 5 lug and rack and pinion. Thanks
porschetub
Not really sure about the 964 because it was a whole different car pretty sure the calipers are different,mines 911 Carrera with alloy beam,you retain the 914 rack and pinion ,contact bdstone on here he sells them every now and then,there are others also...buy soon because these parts are won't be cheaper in the future.
Those wiser than me will chime in beer.gif .
9144me2enjoy
Good advice, thanks.
GeorgeRud
Best to try to find some front suspension pieces from an early 911 (prior to 1989) and then it’s a straight bolt on swap. Ideally, I’d try to find some from a Carrera (1984-89) to get the bigger brake discs. The rear suspension is uniques to the 914, though the hubs from a 911 can be used. Check the PMB site for great information.
9144me2enjoy
Sounds like sound advice, thank you.
mepstein
Nope. Nothing will fit. Up to and including 89, 911 suspension used torsion bars. ‘90 went to coil over shocks. I don’t believe any parts will work without machining and fabrication. The engines on the other hand are awesome if you want a big six.

Bigger isn’t always better. Even though the Carrera parts will fit, they are heavy and built for a car that weighs 800lbs more. It’s best to think about what you want from your car and look for the right parts and mods to get there. If you are going big 3.6, Chevy V8, adding flares and big tires, a Carrera suspension might work great. It might be too much if you are building a hot 4, small six and / or keeping it narrow body.
9144me2enjoy
Thanks again for the wealth of information! agree.gif
914Sixer
Early 911 (69-73) has 3" mounting ears ( same a 914-6) for M calipers. 74-89 has 3 1/2" mounting and requires A calipers. Bigger pad area (not really need on street car) and heavier. 69-73 911 rear hub is the same as the 914-6. 74-89 is 5mm thicker and requires a spacer but it has a self centering hub (a plus). You will need custom drive shafts.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 8 2018, 12:57 PM) *

Nope. Nothing will fit. Up to and including 89, 911 suspension used torsion bars. ‘90 went to coil over shocks. I don’t believe any parts will work without machining and fabrication. The engines on the other hand are awesome if you want a big six.

Bigger isn’t always better. Even though the Carrera parts will fit, they are heavy and built for a car that weighs 800lbs more. It’s best to think about what you want from your car and look for the right parts and mods to get there. If you are going big 3.6, Chevy V8, adding flares and big tires, a Carrera suspension might work great. It might be too much if you are building a hot 4, small six and / or keeping it narrow body.

Yep Mark knows ,depends on the price also,perhaps the calipers would be useful with adaptors,I have similar or same as them and they work great,the rest will be a little hard to move but you never know,end of the day its not an ideal setup and you could do a lot better,perhaps time to search elsewhere.
Don't for a minute think this setup is cheap....its not ,because you have the rear to deal with also,good luck.
9144me2enjoy
Lots to think about! Thanks again for all your comments, they’re appreciated. Need to look again at what I’m trying to accomplish here and where the best investment is for the buck.
Mark Henry
It doesn't add much over the /4 suspension and brakes on a street car, especially with a /4.

Many want it to run 5-bolt fuchs (so just cosmetic), or racers want vented rotors and/or bigger brakes for AX/track.

Before doing mods suspension, carbs, etc., I'd sort your/4 get some seat time, then slowly research the mods that people do here.
Many mods were 80's crap, the mods now are more refined in keeping with the spirit of the 914 with nice update touches.
9144me2enjoy
Thanks Mark for the comments. agree.gif
flmont
Are there any brake systems that can stop a 914 as good as a 911 (without a 5 lug set-up)?? I think the weight of the cars are similar,..
914Sixer
A completely gone through 914 brake system will stop as effective as a 911.
Mueller
QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 8 2018, 09:04 AM) *

Are there any brake systems that can stop a 914 as good as a 911 (without a 5 lug set-up)?? I think the weight of the cars are similar,..

The biggest "upgrade" I would say is the venting on the 911 rotors which is not going to be noticed in daily driving unless you drive in the hills and are hard on your brakes.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 7 2018, 08:38 PM) *

Best to try to find some front suspension pieces from an early 911 (prior to 1989) and then it’s a straight bolt on swap. Ideally, I’d try to find some from a Carrera (1984-89) to get the bigger brake discs. The rear suspension is uniques to the 914, though the hubs from a 911 can be used. Check the PMB site for great information.

And the vented 911 rotors can also be used for the rear if you use caliper spacers (Hard to find these days though). That way you retain the e-brake easily and get vented rotors too! I use this system on my track car and it works GREAT!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 8 2018, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 8 2018, 09:04 AM) *

The biggest "upgrade" I would say is the venting on the 911 rotors which is not going to be noticed in daily driving unless you drive in the hills and are hard on your brakes.

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 8 2018, 12:15 PM) *

A completely gone through 914 brake system will stop as effective as a 911.

agree.gif
The stock system stops just as good as any brake "upgrade", vented rotors and bigger calipers only advantage is to combat heat fade from heavy use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.