Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
I want to paint my 911 using low VOC/ waterbased paints. I figure its less harmful to me, and wont annoy my nieghbors much.

None of the local auto paint supply houses sell the low VOC/waterbased paints.

Is there a mail order, or web site the where I can get the paint?

BTW its DuPont chromabase low VOC

beerchug.gif
djm914-6
Have you thought about trying Auto Air? It's quickly becoming a popular choice. I'd like to do my 914 with it sooner than later. Then, I'm also looking into graphics and such.

http://www.autoaircolors.com/

I buy all my paint supplies from www.BearAir.com or www.CoastAirbrush.com
TimT
oops, just found out the paint isnt water based, just low VOC
xsboost90
yeah, i was gonna say! i spray chromabase alot, not waterbased! Not really even low voc, you CAN buy low VOC clears and use an hvlp gun to help reduce the emissions.
TimT
Ive decided Im going to spray the car with the stuff Dave mentioned, they have a color that is close enough to Gulf Blue/Mexico Blue. They say the paints mix easily, so Ill adjust the tint to suit my taste. And Im going to shoot the spoilers skirts a gulf orange type color

Also I like the idea of clean up with soap and water wink.gif I really dont like playing with solvents, isocynates etc. so the only really nasty stuff Ill have to deal with is the clear coat

There is also a distributor of the stuff about 5 mins fromw where I work.
Mueller
QUOTE (TimT @ Jun 13 2005, 01:50 PM)
Ive decided Im going to spray the car with the stuff Dave mentioned, they have a color that is close enough to Gulf Blue/Mexico Blue. They say the paints mix easily, so Ill adjust the tint to suit my taste. And Im going to shoot the spoilers skirts a gulf orange type color

Also I like the idea of clean up with soap and water wink.gif I really dont like playing with solvents, isocynates etc. so the only really nasty stuff Ill have to deal with is the clear coat

There is also a distributor of the stuff about 5 mins fromw where I work.

what is the price for enough to paint a car?

does it have to be clear coated with something to protect it?

TimT
Yea you clear coat it like regular base coat/clear coat systems... Thats the only exposure ill have to the nasty isocynates etc.. I think pricing is a bit cheaper than traditional paint systems Im hoping the place near where I work has the colors I want, Ill be buying some tomorrow

beerchug.gif
TimT
Just found that a gallonis about $160, which is comparable to some other regular automotive paints, but you dont need the reducer, activator etc..
914GT
I really don't see the advantage of it for occasional paint jobs. For commercial paint shops in California, then yes. But since you have to clearcoat it anyway, and that's where you use an activator, then there's no significant advantage to using water based paint. The right protective gear should be used regardless. Believe me, it's the clearcoat that creates most of the odor anyway.
djm914-6
Tim, make sure you check the prices well. I've seen this stuff vary in price a lot. Also, do you homework and buy the CD. There's a lot of little tid bits out there that will make your life easier and result in a better job. It does mix well, but make sure you mix enough. I'm no pro, but I've yet to mix the exact color twice.

I love this stuff. Easy clean up, no oder, no breathing problems. It's a bit thicker than the uros, but that's easy to over come with either more pressure or larger needle in the gun. It goes on practically dry so there isn't a problem with painting a neighbors car 100' away. The first two coats are so light, it looks like pollen (I hate that stuff!) I figured I'd paint my car with three to 5 coats of color, heat set it, do the graphics, heat set again and then have a pro seal it with clear.

It's getting harder and harder to spray uros with the gub'ment nosing in. Waterbase is likely the future.

TimT
I really don't see the advantage of it

I see tons of advantages...

wash the gun with soap and water

you need lesser levels of respiratory protection

your not putting bad stuff into the air or your body

(this is coming from a guy that grew up in the 70's)

overspray washes off you neighbors stuff with soap and water

I wish they made water based clears....
djm914-6
They do make WB clears. I have a bottle that I use between graphics and as a carrier. It's just not as strong as uro and you can't buff it. It won't be long before there are better versions.
914GT
QUOTE (TimT @ Jun 13 2005, 06:27 PM)
I wish they made water based clears....

That's the point, they don't (except what a few auto manufacturers may be working with). So you still need breathing protection, paint suit, neoprene gloves, lacquer thinner to clean your gun, overspray protection, etc. to apply the urethane clear. You will also need to take additional time to allow all the water to dry out of the base coat before applying the clear. With solvent-reduced base you can apply your clearcoat 30 min. or so after the base. Base coat overspray also doesn't have the problems as the clear overspray. It's mostly dust that settles quickly and does not bind to other surfaces. The clear is catalyzing when it's airborne and chemically binds to anything else, like your neighbors car. So until they have a water-based clearcoat I still fail to see the advantages to it.
TimT
Six of one

Half dozen of another

Id rather have to clean my equipment one time using solvents such as laquer thinner, MEK, toluene etc than have to clean it many times using all that nasty shit

You can lay down water based primer/surfacers, etching primers, primers/sealers, and then base coat them with water based base coats tints , flip flops, pearls,

then hold it with a urethane clear!

whats not to like?

The website Dave posted has some cars with pretty impressive paintwork

all cleaned up with warm water and soap.. ( except for the clear apps)

So Ill be painting my 911 with this waterbased stuff, wont be worrying to much about my health and the environs

then Ill don the forced air mask and be clothed in long sleeves and a doo-rag while i apply the clear coat..

to each his own

914GT
QUOTE (TimT @ Jun 13 2005, 07:13 PM)
So Ill be painting my 911 with this waterbased stuff, wont be worrying to much about my health and the environs

I'm sure it's perfectly safe to breath..

"Although Auto Air Colors contain 0.0 VOC, user or any persons who may be exposed to the airborne particulates are required to wear a NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator. Protect from contact with skin or eyes."

Also, enjoy baking your car between coats...

"Bake paint at 120-150ºF for 15-20 minutes or until colors are completely dried. "

Hope it works out to your satisfaction.
DonTraver
About 10 years ago, I bought some Dupont metalic paint for the flame job on my bike, it blushed (changed color) really bad. I thought that I'd done something wrong, so I started over, it did it again. Then I found out that Dupont had used a new sealer to seal the seals on the paint cans that was not compatable with the paint. A good paint job takes quite a bit of time and labor, custom paint and flame jobs take a looooooot more time and effort.

Called Dupont, they said sorry about that ar15.gif we'll replace your paint, but reimbuse you for your time and labor, no way. Quite a few professional paint shops got burned the same way. I haven't bought a Dupont paint product since them, most of the paint shops a know stopped too.

I like PPG Delstar, it's a single coat, high gloss paint that uses a hardener. Comes in almost any color you want, and here's the really cool part, it DOESN'T need a clear coat.

You're going to get some orange peel no matter what you use, it you're going to use a clear coat, you should shoot extra coats so you don't sand thru it. With Delstar, no clear coats to worry about, just color sand all you want. If you want a clear coat, you can shoot one over Delstar.

My 914-6 is painted with Delstar, no clear coat.

The flame job on my bike is Delstar with about 20+ coats of clear over it.

Hope this helps.

Later, Don

redshift
I lost three jobs last year to bad lacquer sealer.

I prefer lacquer finishes, working with them, and the appearance. It's not so bad to deal with, and it's forgiving in natural ways.. smile.gif

M
MecGen
Hi Tim

Heres some food for thought.

I know a guy that bought a World wide distribution for a
low VOC/ waterbased paint, and if I am not mistaken, no VOC at all. No joke you can drink it.
My bud has been the tech guy there for 7 years. He gave me some samples...a piece of tin foil, painted. I squished it, twisted it, then burned it. I can go on and on about the toughness of this product...water based one part.
They have an Industrial, Marine, and Aerospace (yes space shipps). This product has been around for 20 on the shelf, do to the "whats the point?" factor. As of Jan 1,
the Caribian went green, and Fla is following, maybe even retroactive for Marine (painted boat hauls).
Its coming...but...expensive, work prep and decontamination, are a must. Cars is not a problem due to the size, but a 40000sq foot industrial wall....

I have been working with my bud Chris to get an acceptible finish for the Auto industry, but due to the nature and chemical bonding properties (he tryed to explain it... confused24.gif ), we cant get a showroom shine, it seems to resemble a Enamail finish, not bad, might work with vintage cars that don't need the bling.

Anywhoooo...if you want to talk to a guy that ate, slept, shit, waterbased paints for the last 7 years, I will pm you his email...or maybe I will let him use my sign in and let him chime in.
He's a car buff... ar15.gif

Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
djm914-6
Another advantage to AutoAir is that you can clear it ANY time after it's dry (hour, day, week, month, etc). That means you can go at your own pace. You NEED to clear a uro based car within a certain amount of time (minutes I believe) or the clear won't properly attach to the base. As for baking, that's a non issue unless you live in Alaska. Just roll the car in the Sun for a little while and it'll bake just fine. Or buy a heat gun and ju st dry (not cook) the paint. Like I said, this stuff coes on in very light coats, so it's mostly dry by the time your done with one panel.

Try it! if you don't like it, wash it off. biggrin.gif

BTW, Lacquer sux! It's brittle and cracks easily. Shiney at first, the gets old fast.
914GT
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Jun 14 2005, 05:26 AM)
No joke you can drink it.

I hear the metallics are very tasty and healthy too! wink.gif
djm914-6
Leave the AA in an open glass jar for a few days then you can chew it like gum. huh.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.