Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reattaching Mirror to Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
I've got a '75 914 with an inside mirror that has detached from the windshield I've looked at the two part adhesives but they don't work for an entire mirror assembly.

What have you used to reattach the whole mirror assembly?
mepstein
High strength mirror pad at flaps.
Tom_T
Marc,

Porsche etc still sells the adhesive pad for the interior mirrors, since it's the same for the 60's-70's 911/912/912E/930 mirrors. IIRC the other Porsche parts houses also sell the same one made by OEM 3M too.

IMHO that's the best option, & always good to buy a couple of extra for the glovebox & home shop at the same time.

The trick to good adhesion is to get both the windshield & mirror base absolutely clean & smooth from all old debris/adhesive before attaching to the base, then to the windshield, mark the sot on the glass with wax pencil/crayon, & do the install exactly per the instructions - especially including temperatures.

Today in SoCal at 100-118 would NOT be a good day to do the install due to high temps! blink.gif

Most failed adhesive pad installs are due to improper/inadequate prep &/or not following the other temp etc. install instructions. A good install will break the glass if you just tried to pull it off, without using their undercutting reccos to remove.

beerchug.gif
Tom
////////
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 7 2018, 06:25 PM) *

Marc,

Porsche etc still sells the adhesive pad for the interior mirrors, since it's the same for the 60's-70's 911/912/912E/930 mirrors. IIRC the other Porsche parts houses also sell the same one made by OEM 3M too.

IMHO that's the best option, & always good to buy a couple of extra for the glovebox & home shop at the same time.

The trick to good adhesion is to get both the windshield & mirror base absolutely clean & smooth from all old debris/adhesive before attaching to the base, then to the windshield, mark the sot on the glass with wax pencil/crayon, & do the install exactly per the instructions - especially including temperatures.

Today in SoCal at 100-118 would NOT be a good day to do the install due to high temps! blink.gif

Most failed adhesive pad installs are due to improper/inadequate prep &/or not following the other temp etc. install instructions. A good install will break the glass if you just tried to pull it off, without using their undercutting reccos to remove.

beerchug.gif
Tom
////////

agree.gif I used the Porsche adhesive pad 12 years ago. Mirror is still secure.
iankarr
Agree on the OEM adhesive pad. Clean surfaces well with alcohol. The mirror mounts lower than you'd think it does. To line it up, flip the sun visors down and center the mirror in the cutotus. That should get you close. Then use a wax pencil on the outside to mark the horiz and vertical centers.

If you need to remove an existing adhesive pad, try acetone in a syringe and a hair dryer. Don't use a heat gun, as you could crack the glass. Good luck!
burton73
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 8 2018, 02:17 PM) *

Agree on the OEM adhesive pad. Clean surfaces well with alcohol. The mirror mounts lower than you'd think it does. To line it up, flip the sun visors down and center the mirror in the cutotus. That should get you close. Then use a wax pencil on the outside to mark the horiz and vertical centers.

If you need to remove an existing adhesive pad, try acetone in a syringe and a hair dryer. Don't use a heat gun, as you could crack the glass. Good luck!

This is right by me but I used blue masking tape on the windshield to mark the outside of the target.

Bob B
Steve
I agree on the oem sticker. Put it on the mirror first, not the windshield or it will forever be crooked on the mirror..
KELTY360
Good info, I wouldn't have thought of the dealer. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks.
porschetub
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 9 2018, 12:57 PM) *

Good info, I wouldn't have thought of the dealer. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

I think the 944 pad is the same,remember using one that I had spare from Pelican,the secret is to clean the area really well I used a blade,acetone and glass cleaner,before it was cleaned the area was blue taped on the outside of the screen as a guide.
Never seen glue work in the long term,some may have had luck with it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
factory mirror patch sealed around the perimeter with weatherstrip adhesive, centered and four inches down from the bottom of the windshield chrome to the top of the mirror base
GeorgeRud
Years ago, a parts manager at the Porsche dealership recommended using two pads as well as Dr. 914s sealing recommendation. My mirror has stayed in place ever since. You can also have someone use masking tape on the outside of the windshield to mark your location while you hold it in place before mounting it permenantly.
914werke
Marc I have one here at the Werke shop if you haven't already sourced it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 12 2018, 10:25 AM) *

Marc I have one here at the Werke shop if you haven't already sourced it.

Thanks Rich. I've got one coming from Pelican. Tried reaching the dealership's parts dept. but just got an automated message. Left two different messages but never got a call back. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it was for a 914. shades.gif
Rand
Or take this opportunity to upgrade to a "wink" mirror with no blind spots. wink.gif

I know it's not for everyone, but I love the visibility and won't go back.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-4601...goaAuy4EALw_wcB
914xr75
If you use weatherstrip adhesive around the perimeter like George suggests, just know that you might go through a few patches to get it right. I'm pretty good with fine jobs like this, but when I looked at the mirror from outside the car, the sealant looked like crap. I did use the same color sealant as the mirror patch. Good luck.
ConeDodger
I used the Pelican adhesive pad. Never sealed with silicone. Going on 10 years... evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.