Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement fuel pump needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
..didn't get specific results, just a string of all recent posts. The original pump on my 73 is not running when I direct wire it to a battery, yet it did seem to start several days ago. A bit frustrating when I'm working alone, have read here that leaving ignition on without engine running could fry my Pertronics installation. wacko.gif
burton73
I do not have an answer to your question but!

I go to Google and in the search ask – Need fuel pump Porsche 914 world

There are a number of answers

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=293742

Give my way of searching it works better for me than our sites search function

Bob B
914Sixer
Sounds like it may be stopped up or gummed up. If you take it off you can try putting some lacquer thinner in ports and let it set for a while. Do this set a few times. Thinner will turn dark brown when you dump it from the gunk. Hook it up to 12v and you can feel if it is running or not. I do not recommend taking it apart. It is REAL EASY to lose the rotating cams in the pump housing.
Geezer914
Try Rock Auto on line. Best prices.
Jamie
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 8 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Sounds like it may be stopped up or gummed up. If you take it off you can try putting some lacquer thinner in ports and let it set for a while. Do this set a few times. Thinner will turn dark brown when you dump it from the gunk. Hook it up to 12v and you can feel if it is running or not. I do not recommend taking it apart. It is REAL EASY to lose the rotating cams in the pump housing.

This original pump was moved to front under tank several years ago, and is very clean and was running last week when I hot wired it to a battery. Now it doesn't want to run at all, even after a good whack or 2! Appears it is time for replacement, and have to figure out hose configuration from 3 port to 2 port. All fuel lines and filters are new.
TravisNeff
Try an Airtex e8445. It is a 2 port pump you can get at your local flaps.
Jamie
OK, I have the Airtex pump being shipped, and several comments here have suggested that the return line now missing from the original 3 port pump can be directly plugged back into the fuel tank. Is that the consensus of the majority braintrust here? confused24.gif
TravisNeff
Supply line from tank goes to fuel filter, then pump, then from pump to the tunnel line. Return line now goes from tunnel line directly back to the tank.
Jamie
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 9 2018, 10:23 AM) *

Supply line from tank goes to fuel filter, then pump, then from pump to the tunnel line. Return line now goes from tunnel line directly back to the tank.

10-4 Travis, and thanks. bye1.gif
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 9 2018, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 9 2018, 10:23 AM) *

10-4 Travis, and thanks. bye1.gif

Agree with Travis /

And for the future adulteration's of these vehicles, I suggest stainless steel lines from the tank area to the back (plural) "lines"... even if you don't think you will need a return line when going to carbs on a 6 conversion (or a carb-four), you may want an insurance policy that the fuel regulator has as a backup / a line dumping excess fuel back into the tank after the 1.5 - 3 psi pressure is used by the float bowls to get the carbs fed. / more important still in a FI environment where pressures are well in the 50+ range of PSI.

It is easy to leave the spare line plugged on both ends until needed

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.