Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok, where's the fuel leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plas76targa
Ok - here's one for the experts.

After returning from a weeks vacation I do an oil change on the 914. When finished I start the car up to warm up and get the oil going. I run the car for several minutes then shut it off. While checking for any surprising oil leaks I find a wet spot under the car (no it's not THAT!) below where the fuel pump and filter are ( 1972 stock location). I start the car again and drip, drip, drip, you can watch it leak. Shut the car down. I jack up the car to get a better look at the fuel pump and filter area. It's all dry by this time, so I start the car again - NO LEAK. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I've let the car sit over night, started next day, still no leak.

My theory is the car hadn't been used in almost two weeks. It's been a daily driver mostly. perhaps a hose dried enough that it leaked, and once I ran fuel through it the line swelled and now doesn't leak. Obviously I'm going to replace the hoses around the filter and fuel pump. And one winter project will be to move the FP up front.

Has anyone else experienced this odd phenomenon? Or is it just me? unsure.gif
xsboost90
if it still has the original hoses, you need to replace them w/ some hipressure fuel line or that things gonna light up like the statue of liberty.... cool.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jun 13 2005, 08:49 AM)
if it still has the original hoses, you need to replace them w/ some hipressure fuel line or that things gonna light up like the statue of liberty.... cool.gif

agree.gif Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

old fuel lines do that.
they leak when dried out and once they get wet with fuel, they'll hold it again.
for a while.
then they break.

and your car will look like a burning man in the black rock desert ...
unsure.gif Andy
Demick
Those fuel lines are full of fuel all the time - even when the car is not running, with the only difference being whether they are under pressure or not.

But don't worry about why it leaked and now does not. Just get those fuel lines replaced. Replace your filter while you are at it. If you haven't done it before, you are about to discover one of the least fun things to do on a 914. Be prepared for a fuel bath. Good luck.

Demick
plas76targa
Thanks for the input folks. I would rather "light up the road" in a more fun fashion than what you've all painted.

And of course guess how full the fuel tank is... Mr Murphy had me fill the tank just before I went on vacation.

I'm going to give in and have a shop replace those hoses for me. Along with a few other minor items before my big move east.
mikerose
Matt........ CD?

mike cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.