Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Carpet - how to remove around steering column/rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moldygreg
I may be too blurry-eyed and lacking cognitive thought.... be kind.
I also searched, but didn't come up with an answer.

How do I remove the original carpet piece that has the grommet going though the U-Joint steering column/rack?

Do I have to drop the rack? Seperate the U-Joint?

Ideas for path of least resistance appreciated. Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question!

smile.gif

Greg
JawjaPorsche
I would get a sharp knife and just cut it. It is out of sight. You can put some tape on back to splice it.
mepstein
If you have great original carpet, you want to take apart a joint and do it right. If it’s driver quality, I would just make a cut in the carpet.
moldygreg
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 9 2018, 04:42 PM) *

If you have great original carpet, you want to take apart a joint and do it right. If it’s driver quality, I would just make a cut in the carpet.

Thanks. That's the big question I'm wrestling with. Definitely drivers quality. But think it could clean up nice and be a solid 8 out scale of 10.

Question - to preserve carpet in-tact, do I have to drop the steering rack; or do I tackle it from the steering column / u-joint?
mepstein
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Jul 9 2018, 08:44 PM) *

Thanks. That's the big question I'm wrestling with. Definitely drivers quality. But think it could clean up nice and be a solid 8 out scale of 10.

Question - to preserve carpet in-tact, do I have to drop the steering rack; or do I tackle it from the steering column / u-joint?

I’m not sure on that. But I have taken carpet to the commercial cleaners with the big washer and run it through. Came out looking like new. Alternate is to pretreat and then take to the commercial car wash and use high pressure soap to blast dirt out.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Jul 9 2018, 05:44 PM) *

In my experience, no, you do not need to drop the rack. I highly recommend that you take some pictures of the entire steering shaft from the column to the floor for reference when you re-assemble.

Remove all 4 bolts that go through the U joints. Slide the top U joint directly behind the steering column towards the steering wheel. Slide the center shaft up into the top U joint. Slide the lower U joint up onto the center shaft. This may give you enough slack to get the U joint off of the lower steering shaft that goes to the rack. If so, flop it to the side gently and don't turn the steering wheel (it should be locked in place with the ignition key removed from the ignition)! Take the carpet out.

If there isn't enough play to get the lower U joint off, loosen the 4 allen head cap bolts that hold the steering column to the chassis. I would not remove these bolts completely.

This has worked for me in the past. It's a puzzle but if you take your time, you should get the shaft and lower U joint off the steering rack shaft.

Re-assemble reversing the process.

Greg
moldygreg
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jul 9 2018, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(moldygreg @ Jul 9 2018, 05:44 PM) *

In my experience, no, you do not need to drop the rack. I highly recommend that you take some pictures of the entire steering shaft from the column to the floor for reference when you re-assemble.

Remove all 4 bolts that go through the U joints. Slide the top U joint directly behind the steering column towards the steering wheel. Slide the center shaft up into the top U joint. Slide the lower U joint up onto the center shaft. This may give you enough slack to get the U joint off of the lower steering shaft that goes to the rack. If so, flop it to the side gently and don't turn the steering wheel (it should be locked in place with the ignition key removed from the ignition)! Take the carpet out.

If there isn't enough play to get the lower U joint off, loosen the 4 allen head cap bolts that hold the steering column to the chassis. I would not remove these bolts completely.

This has worked for me in the past. It's a puzzle but if you take your time, you should get the shaft and lower U joint off the steering rack shaft.

Re-assemble reversing the process.

Greg

Super helpful! Thank you. Just needed the sequence of events... will give it a go.

Cheers-
Greg
JmuRiz
Good info, I just cut mine as I had a devil of a time trying to get the column bolts off and needed to get the car ready to send to the shop.

I probably should have taken more time, but I might put some edging on the cut area and clean up the carpets to sell (if anyone wants worn original carpets?)

I'm sure I'll do it right when putting in my new carpet...but then again mine is FAR from original.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
remove the lower dash, unplug wiper ts and ignition switch remove the four Allen bolts remove the 14mm at the firewall for the shift coupler, pull the steering column back pull the carpet off install the new and reassemble. DO NOT CUT THE ORIGINAL FACTORY CARPET

QUOTE(moldygreg @ Jul 9 2018, 04:22 PM) *

I may be too blurry-eyed and lacking cognitive thought.... be kind.
I also searched, but didn't come up with an answer.

How do I remove the original carpet piece that has the grommet going though the U-Joint steering column/rack?

Do I have to drop the rack? Seperate the U-Joint?

Ideas for path of least resistance appreciated. Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question!

smile.gif

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.