Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tool tow hook
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have this being duplicated now and wonder how much interest there is. Molding is quite expensive on this part so we would have to sell for 35 bucks but it would be an exact zinc plate duplicate

Any interest?
rhodyguy
Are they 'sand cast' or permanent mold tems?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no not sand cast

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 10 2018, 07:29 AM) *

Are they 'sand cast' or permanent mold tems?

Sprovost
Interested, I’ve been looking for one as mine broke while being pulled up a flatbed
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Sprovost @ Jul 10 2018, 09:30 AM) *

Interested, I’ve been looking for one as mine broke while being pulled up a flatbed

Ummmmm. There's one in your rear bumper. wink.gif

That said, we like to use them on our GT style builds "a lot" and, I'm not seeing ton's of them via the usual "used market" suspects. M9x1 thread pitch?
rhodyguy
Will The TOTAL shipping for this part be $7.05 USPS flat rate?
Retroracer
interested,

- Tony
jdamiano
I would buy one to use if needed not to ruin my original.
scallyk9
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 10 2018, 08:37 AM) *

Doubtful. It has become apparent that Atlanta has higher shipping rates.
jdamiano
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Jul 10 2018, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 10 2018, 08:37 AM) *

Doubtful. It has become apparent that Atlanta has higher shipping rates.

What? Guy is considering making a needed part and he gets heat about possible shipping rates. Just silliness.
914Sixer
I am good for one.
mb911
Are you sure they weren't drop forged? Pretty sure they were..

For 35 bucks that would be a great deal.
Mikey914
They were at forged part. That's one of the reasons why we didn't make them. It would be great if George could get these done they are needed. But it is a forged part.
sixnotfour
and they break if you pull any angle other than straigfht on.....poor design
Larmo63
They work in a pinch, I wouldn't bet my life on one.

Are the ones George is making going to be for looks?
type2man
Keep your 914 in check and drive it often and you'll never need a tow hook. Just remember kids, trailers are for boats!
campbellcj
Mine broke-off too and I've been unable to get the remnant out of the car. Not a great design even as a forged part IMO, if you're actually gonna use it (i.e., track car).
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 10 2018, 08:19 PM) *

and they break if you pull any angle other than straigfht on.....poor design

The issue is the threaded bolt is way too small. Look at a 996 928 tow hook and it's way more substantial RD20mm knuckle thread that is basically a metric version of an Acme thread.
Real odd ball thread RD20X1/8" Knuckle thread DIN 405 https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/knuckle-thread-din-405.html

To me it's nice to have in your original kit, but as a tow hook it's pretty well worthless.
HansJan
I need one.
If the original design is not good enough, what/where should I be purchasing something that works?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Jul 10 2018, 10:26 PM) *

I need one.
If the original design is not good enough, what/where should I be purchasing something that works?

The thing is for originality the stock hook is as good as it gets.
Better would be custom.
Mikey914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 10 2018, 06:57 PM) *

Mine broke-off too and I've been unable to get the remnant out of the car. Not a great design even as a forged part IMO, if you're actually gonna use it (i.e., track car).

Left handed drill bit works well.
campbellcj
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 12 2018, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 10 2018, 06:57 PM) *

Left handed drill bit works well.

Thanks, I will try that! I have tried an easy-out type of thing to no avail. Obviously the forged steel is extremely hard, and it's been screwed in there really tight for several years now. Possibly in there for good at this point.
mb911
Is it flush with the end? You could weld a nut on the broken fastener then remove easily.
Mikey914
Soak it with penetrating oil and let sit for an hour or so to let it weep into the areas it can. Use a smaller bit to make a pilot hole and go to town with the largest bit you feel comfortable with (as not to damage the threads).

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.