Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 fuel line options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VintageExcellence
What are you guys doing on fuel lines. I am restoring a early 914-6 with the 2 different size plastic fuel lines through the chassis. I pulled the original lines out, one broke from being brittle and the reason I wanted to change them. What options are out there?

I see stainless steel line replacements. Looks like Tangerine has a set for sale. Anything else out there?

LowBridge
I have a set of Tangerine lines in my 75 and they work great with no issues.
Mueller
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110158

I bought a set from this guy^

BPic
QUOTE(VintageExcellence @ Jul 10 2018, 04:46 PM) *

What are you guys doing on fuel lines. I am restoring a early 914-6 with the 2 different size plastic fuel lines through the chassis. I pulled the original lines out, one broke from being brittle and the reason I wanted to change them. What options are out there?

I see stainless steel line replacements. Looks like Tangerine has a set for sale. Anything else out there?

A 914world member has SS lines as well. I will be purchasing from him soon.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=331361&hl=

They look nice and other members that bought like them.
mepstein
I have 3 sets of tangerine lines for my cars. Chris has made the lines for years and also has all the little pieces: grommets, clamps, soft line.
914forme
Tangerine, and he will also do AN fittings on the ends. piratenanner.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 10 2018, 01:58 PM) *

Bought few sets/pairs from Robert too and his just from SoCal only.
porschetub
I used late VW plastic FI line and ferals then truck metal brake pipe @ the front,EFI hose clamps only,my original plastic hose was as new but heeded the warning from this forum...feel happier I did the replacement.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 10 2018, 07:17 PM) *

I used late VW plastic FI line and ferals then truck metal brake pipe @ the front,EFI hose clamps only,my original plastic hose was as new but heeded the warning from this forum...feel happier I did the replacement.

If the plastic lines are good I wouldn't worry about it.

If damaged, you welded in new floors (welding heat), or you are running high pressure for a front FI pump, then I'd use the SS lines.
With a stock location pump these lines are low pressure, only the pump to regulator FI loop is high pressure.
The truck brake pipe is OK but it should have a rolled barb, especially for high pressure.

FI clamps should be the only type used and SAE 30R9 rated FI fuel hose.

I used to say SAE 30R7 hose was OK for all the low pressure sections and carbs, but after some research on hose quality I will now only use SAE 30R9 rated FI fuel hose on all the fuel lines.
euro911
Either vendor, Tangerine or Robert (Rotary'14), are a the best choice to buy SS lines. I purchased sets for both 914s from Robert at one of the original G&R Swap Meets many years ago.
branston
Tangerine for me too

Fitted them to my '74 last year easy install and perfect fit. Can't thank Chris enough for his his product and advise when called.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(BPic @ Jul 10 2018, 05:01 PM) *

A 914world member has SS lines as well.

rolleyes.gif Tangerine Racing is not some foreign entity or corporation.
I've been a 914World member from the beginning. beer.gif
And I was the first to offer stainless fuel lines to the 914 community. beerchug.gif
The reason I have a business name and a business website is that helping other people with their 914s became my day job around 15 years ago.
jfort
Second on Tangerine's steel lines. Just installed in my six. Met Chris in the process.
bbrock
This question may be heresy, but are SS lines necessary? Would regular steel lines provide a pretty long service life? There is a how-to on the bird for making fuel lines from steel brake line. hide.gif
napasteve
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 11 2018, 08:35 AM) *

This question may be heresy, but are SS lines necessary? Would regular steel lines provide a pretty long service life? There is a how-to on the bird for making fuel lines from steel brake line. hide.gif

A more basic question is: is having and driving a 914 necessary?

If you are going to go to the trouble of updating your fuel lines (which I think is a really good idea to avoid that burnt-up car thing), the incremental cost difference between SS and mild steel lines seems trivial. Especially when reasonably priced SS lines are available sized and bent to the exact correct spec.

Please add me to the list of satisfied Tangerine customers. Chris is the best.
Coondog
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Happy Robert (Rotary 14) customer...... biggrin.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 11 2018, 04:39 AM) *

QUOTE(BPic @ Jul 10 2018, 05:01 PM) *

A 914world member has SS lines as well.

rolleyes.gif Tangerine Racing is not some foreign entity or corporation.
I've been a 914World member from the beginning. beer.gif
And I was the first to offer stainless fuel lines to the 914 community. beerchug.gif
The reason I have a business name and a business website is that helping other people with their 914s became my day job around 15 years ago.

NOOB
welcome.png

poke.gif

Me -> stirthepot.gif

I don't think any disrespect was intended by the above post. It's just nice to have options. I appreciate your contributions to this community in both knowledge and products. I'm quickly approaching the point in my father/son build where I'll be buying more parts and I'll be looking at several things on your website.

euro911
Yeah, both guys are great guys.

Chris has a myriad of cool components for our cars - and I have some of them biggrin.gif ...

Robert only makes the fuel line sets, and he's a local So Cal member.

Don't want to see a 'turf war' develop from this thread shades.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 11 2018, 09:46 AM) *

Yeah, both guys are great guys.

Chris has a myriad of cool components for our cars - and I have some of them biggrin.gif ...

Robert only makes the fuel line sets, and he's a local So Cal member.

Don't want to see a 'turf war' develop from this thread shades.gif

That is why I recommended him, nothing against Chris at all....my input was based on location.... still love ya Chris! smile.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(napasteve @ Jul 11 2018, 09:52 AM) *

If you are going to go to the trouble of updating your fuel lines (which I think is a really good idea to avoid that burnt-up car thing), the incremental cost difference between SS and mild steel lines seems trivial. Especially when reasonably priced SS lines are available sized and bent to the exact correct spec.

Okay, I'm going to poke the bear again poke.gif The problem is that when you are doing a bare metal full restoration on a budget, these trivial incremental up-charges add up to real $ in a hurry. So I try to figure out which provide real bang for buck versus just paying extra to have a knob that goes to 11. That's why when I bought brake lines, I opted for PMB's economy mild steel kit because even those lines in a well-maintained system will outlive me and the savings was substantial.

I'm not questioning the quality of the pre-bent kit options, or the wisdom of paying what is necessary for a safe fuel system. I'm just wondering what the safety and longevity of SS fuel lines vs mild steel would be. bye1.gif
phatnine11
Ok, the question is about SS vs mild steel. Most folks would probably chose SS due to the fact that RUST is a dirty and nasty word around 914 people. The fuel lines will reside in a rusty location unless the center console has been rebuilt. Beg, borrow or buy a bore scope and have a look.
Phatnine11
jcd914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 11 2018, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(napasteve @ Jul 11 2018, 09:52 AM) *

Okay, I'm going to poke the bear again poke.gif The problem is that when you are doing a bare metal full restoration on a budget, these trivial incremental up-charges add up to real $ in a hurry. So I try to figure out which provide real bang for buck versus just paying extra to have a knob that goes to 11. That's why when I bought brake lines, I opted for PMB's economy mild steel kit because even those lines in a well-maintained system will outlive me and the savings was substantial.

I'm not questioning the quality of the pre-bent kit options, or the wisdom of paying what is necessary for a safe fuel system. I'm just wondering what the safety and longevity of SS fuel lines vs mild steel would be. bye1.gif

Yes you can use mild steel tubing to make your own fuel lines.
Buy zinc coated/plated tubing and rust won't be a problem anytime soon.

You could also buy stainless steel tubing and make your own lines.

Either way you have to figure out how to get a beed on each end so your fuel hose doesn't slide off and bend them to shape. Probably the same amount of work and similar cost.

My car came with SS lines (Chris's) so I didn't have to chose.

Jim
worn
I bought ss tubing from JEGS and silver soldered AN fittings to the ends. That was because I like to learn by doing everything myself. Else, supporting those who support the marque, 914 specifically, is the way to go.
Mark Henry
I did my '67 bug in 3/8" brake line, I had to do two lines because my engine is EFI. It's my summer DD and they still look like new.
Make sure you use proper gromets where lines go through steel panels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.