Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bam!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
After a few hours of installing a new fuel pump and sorting out wiring to the relay, I was leaving my shop and within 1500 feet of travel there came a huge loud bang followed by a exhaling sizzle - directly behind my right ear. A really significant louder than a backfire explosion at 3000 rpm's as I accelerated. sheeplove.gif

Startled, I shut the engine off instantly while pushing in the clutch and then rolled to a stop. sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif Out of the car and looking underneath, there was no visible giant pool of oil or shattered aluminum case halves, pistons and parts or even the left and right fenders blown off of the car as such a noise would produce. confused24.gif

As a precaution, i pushed the car to a safe parking spot and went home to contemplate the cause (before risking a start-up that would further damage what ever was left of the engine innards............. I consulted several 911 people and the general consensus was that it had to be a fuel accumulation in the muffler from working and testing the fuel pump while not firing up the engine. That, in turn, ignited in the muffler once hot enough - and that must have been the explosion that i experienced.

Rather than turn over the engine, the next day, I drained the oil for inspection. I removed the strainer and mags-drain plug and filter. All were clean and without any debris or shiny stuff therein. confused24.gif So maybe the chunks of debris are so big that they didn't get to the lower part of the engine............ yet...

Kieth came by the shop and we then removed the lower valve covers to see if one of the valves had exploded or a spring had decided to eject thru the opposite side of the internals of the heads / the noise was that substantial........ confused24.gif

Valve covers off top and bottom and still no evidence of the cause of the backfire-times-ten explosion noise.......... so we plucked the fan and pulley hatch cover at the firewall.

AhHa!

Three individual guys were definitely involved. (in addition to me...)

They, your honor, were responsible for the BAM!-zzzz that halted my progress home last evening.

Their names were Many, Moe and Jack.........

Apparently the engine fan sucked a big plastic Pep Boy's bag into the shroud area and onto the upper fan pulley from the parking lot debris. That piece of jetsam in turn, whipped around and around as I accelerated - and the hideous bag then caught on to a piece of wire from inside the engine bay at the inner firewall and the two clusters of debris began a death spiral ever tightening the grip on the bag until the bubble of trapped air exploded like no sound I had ever heard from a backfire or other catastrophic event in an engine bay........

The updisde of the story is the oil and filter are now new, the valves are tuned to a perfection, and I rest assured that the bag was not my fault as I have not been to see Manny, Moe, or Jack in several months..........

beerchug.gif

bretth
Yikes what was that wire from? As I was reading I was thinking the muffler explosion was what you were experiencing because I had a v8 Dodge with a leaky carb explode the muffler on startup once. It was super loud and exploded the oval muffler into a circle from the force. Never would have thought that a plastic bag could be that loud.
Mueller
Glad this had a good outcome! I was nervous reading this!

Coondog
Ban plastic bags........They damage 914s.... lol-2.gif
db9146
So your -6 is so low you're starting a side business cleaning parking lots now? shades.gif

Glad there's no more damage than that!!!
pt_700
my fan once ingested the heater hose after the zip ties attaching it to the fan housing let go... kinda sounded like stepping on a plastic water bottle...

glad yours was similarly minor.
rgalla9146
You've run and driven the car since ?
No rubbing fan ?
No wobbily pulleys ?
A very lucky day.
ValcoOscar
You had me worried Forrest, damn bag ar15.gif

Kudos to Keith and others that helped.

Our current heatwave didn't help you much.

beerchug.gif

Oscar
Steve
That’s good news, but maybe you should hang a rabbits foot or something from the rear view mirror. You’ve had the weirdest issues with that car.
Bartlett 914
Good story. I love it smile.gif
914Toy
Along with the relief, it was great slapstick comedy - think about it lol-2.gif
Larmo63
Hang garlic around your neck each time you drive that thing.

(You spelled Keith's name wrong again)
SteveL
Pretty inexpensive fix - tune up and a new pair of shorts.
beerchug.gif
forrestkhaag
that's a running joke....... as opposed to my car... lol-2.gif

Good comments all / and very true to the point of each experience in an old car being a good one / regardless of the outcome. A man can spend years in college, gain higher degrees and professional accolades, but nothing,...I repeat Nothing, can prepare one for the life experiences a 914 will add to the journey.

Susan, my lovely wife, wants me to buy a new 911 to, in part, relieve her of the ongoing 9pm+ phone rings with me on the side of the road with one issue or another.

I may do that someday soon but I ain't giving up the mental and physical challenges that keeping a 47 year old humping behind a man entails........ or the wallet drain vortex it involves.

Sure is fun to drive at its limits (and mine) though...........

jim_hoyland
Good to hear it wasn’t an engine killing event, before I reinstalled the fan cage/shroud, I sucked in the heater hose that went to the passenger side.
euro911
Glad to hear it was only a minor setback.

I installed one of these on my old 2.0L motor before the 2056 build

Click to view attachment

I don't think there's anything commercially available for a /6 motor though unsure.gif
JmuRiz
How’d a bag get sucked through the engine bay tins or engine cover? That’s one sneaky bag!

Glad it was something ‘small’ and not a $$$$ David Hobbs kablammo moment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 11 2018, 05:01 PM) *

Glad to hear it was only a minor setback.

I installed one of these on my old 2.0L motor before the 2056 build

Click to view attachment

I don't think there's anything commercially available for a /6 motor though unsure.gif

I could have used one of those when my 914 was still a /4. I dropped a small pair of vice grips into the fan with the car off while I was working in the engine compartment. Missed picking them up. Horrible noise when I started the engine. Ended up having to replace the fan due to all the broken blades.

headbang.gif

Now I always double check the fan before I close up the engine lid.

Larmo63
I suspect that Forrest bought the new fuel pump at Pep Boys.
Dave_Darling
Once the alternator pivot bolt on my car worked its way loose. It evidently got caught by the alternator belt, because it launched across the engine bay and wedged itself next to the battery. Made a huge BANG when it hit.

Could have been very bad if it had hit the battery...

--DD
maf914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 11 2018, 04:10 PM) *

How’d a bag get sucked through the engine bay tins or engine cover? That’s one sneaky bag!

Yeah. That's what I was wondering. Do you have all engine tin and engine lid/grill in place? idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.