Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body colored bolts/hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
bbrock
As I inch toward primer and paint on my car, I've been wondering about the correct finish for hinge bolts and washers. I'm talking about frunk, trunk, engine lid pivot, and doors. Hinge hardware only, not latches. All of mine were painted body color but my car had been resprayed and a lot of things wound up body color that shouldn't have. It makes sense to me that these might have been painted, but what is the correct finish for a restoration?
mepstein
Only body color bolts that I can think of are the ones for the door hinges and front/back hood hinges.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 11 2018, 09:04 PM) *

Only body color bolts that I can think of are the ones for the door hinges and front/back hood hinges.

Thanks! That covers all the bolts in question except the engine pivot bolts which I suspected were not. Mine have been replaced so many times I wouldn't have a clue what the original might of been.
TonyA
I remember reading somewhere that the front hood bolts are not painted. they are either zinc plated or cad plated.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Brent,
These photos present original finishes on hardware that are relevant for a 1970 914. Possibly someone with a 1973 can provide OEM finishes for your car if it had changed from 1970.
1970 Neun vierzehn
More hardware pics.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
Some better photos of front trunk hinges and door hinges....
bbrock
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 12 2018, 06:10 PM) *

Brent,
These photos present original finishes on hardware that are relevant for a 1970 914. Possibly someone with a 1973 can provide OEM finishes for your car if it had changed from 1970.

Fantastic! This is very helpful. So it looks like hardware bolting the trunks to the hinges is cad plated and hardware at the hinge pivots and doors is body color. Unless someone comes forward saying something had changed by 73, I'll plan on that. I'm still at least 3 months out from spraying color so plenty of time to change my mind.

Thanks for the help! beerchug.gif
Jakester1
From the 914 Bible "914 TECH TIPS 700" pg. 75 438." Rear trunk hinge to lid bolts and washers were painted the car's color by the factory. (Front lid to hinge bolts were unpainted)."
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Jakester1 @ Jul 20 2018, 08:14 AM) *

From the 914 Bible "914 TECH TIPS 700" pg. 75 438." Rear trunk hinge to lid bolts and washers were painted the car's color by the factory. (Front lid to hinge bolts were unpainted)."

I do not know for what model year the above referenced specification is applicable to. However, attached is a photo of my 1970/4 before restoration that shows the bolts securing the hinges to the rear trunk lid as unpainted.

Paul
bbrock
And what about the bolts for these braces under the cowl?

Click to view attachment
914Next
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 21 2018, 12:49 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Painted as I think you can see in this pic of my ‘73 2.0 survivor. Can get better pics if needed. Happy to give you pics of other areas if you need them. Amazed at the work you are doing!

Click to view attachment

bbrock
thumb3d.gif That was my guess. When I took the braces out, it even looked like the car was probably painted after they were bolted in.

Thanks for the complement. Still a long way to go before the work passes my standards, but I think I have a decent start on it. bye1.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
[quote name='914Next' date='Jul 21 2018, 06:19 AM' post='2631288']
[quote name='bbrock' post='2631211' date='Jul 21 2018, 12:49 AM']

Click to view attachment
[/quote]

Painted as I think you can see in this pic of my ‘73 2.0 survivor. quote]

Further conformation as to the cowl bolts being painted body color. Once again, pictures of my 914 before restoration.
gtbarnes
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 12 2018, 04:17 PM) *

Some better photos of front trunk hinges and door hinges....

These door hinges were drilled?for oiling?good idea,I suppose
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.