Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any tricks to replacing the rear flex brake lines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
The title says it all. One of my rear flex lines is leaking, and I need to replace it. I looked at it from underneath the car, and it looks like the top of the line will be a bear to unscrew from the rigid line, and also to remove the clip that holds it, the space is very tight.

Does anyone have any tricks to making the job easier?

Thanks.
mepstein
I think I clipped the rubber line near the fitting and then used a socket. Used a screw driver to pry the clip out. Or vise grips, cant remember. Its good to replace all the lines if you cant remember when they were last done.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 12 2018, 05:19 PM) *

I think I clipped the rubber line near the fitting and then used a socket. Used a screw driver to pry the clip out. Or vise grips, cant remember. Its good to replace all the lines if you cant remember when they were last done.

This method works great.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 12 2018, 06:19 PM) *

That's the method I used to remove my flex lines that were heavily corroded from sitting outside for 30 years and it worked great. I did soak mine down with PB Blaster for a couple days before wrenching. Not sure if there is contamination risk from that, but I'm replacing my hard lines too so it didn't matter.
stinkindiesel
I don't recall any particular issues. Yes, it's tight, but still possible to get a couple of end wrenches in there. Just be sure to keep a wrench on the hard line side as well so you don't twist the hard line while trying to remove the soft line. If I remember right, it was easier to remove the retaining clip first so you can pull the line out a little to give you more room. End wrench (or better yet, a flare nut wrench) on each side, and then squeeze the two wrench handles together.

Gary
dr914@autoatlanta.com
or bend the mounting tab

QUOTE(andreic @ Jul 12 2018, 05:04 PM) *

The title says it all. One of my rear flex lines is leaking, and I need to replace it. I looked at it from underneath the car, and it looks like the top of the line will be a bear to unscrew from the rigid line, and also to remove the clip that holds it, the space is very tight.

Thanks.

Dave_Darling
There are people who have waited until the engine was out so they had better access. Some have also talked about working through some holes in the engine shelf or the engine tin, I think? (Sorry, I don't remember.)

--DD
worn
QUOTE(andreic @ Jul 12 2018, 04:04 PM) *

Thanks.

If you don’t already have them get some line wrenches. The reduction in rounded over fittings will pay for the set.
mepstein
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 13 2018, 07:56 PM) *

Thanks.

If you don’t already have them get some line wrenches. The reduction in rounded over fittings will pay for the set.

agree.gif my dad gave me a set that he never used. Worth ever penny he paid. biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 13 2018, 04:56 PM) *

Thanks.

What sizes do we need ?
IronHillRestorations
You can get to it from the topside of the engine bay with a crowfoot (flare preferably) on several extensions through the drip tube hole. This is a Brad Mayeur trick.
ConeDodger
Lots and lots of PB Blaster... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.