Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Project car and parts car.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Local craigslist ad. no affiliation. 1974 already painted.

I don't have room , but looks like it might be a good package. no price listed.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/por...6622421646.html

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
“Make offer... I will not give this car away...”

No price and no real info to put a value on it. These are the same idiots that get offended when they get a lowball offer... rolleyes.gif
mepstein
I just bought a motorcycle that had the same sort of ad. In fact, it said. "I know what it's worth and so should you". Sounds strange but I call him up and we have a good conversation. Yes, he knew values but he made a very good allowance for the deferred maintenance and has a very reasonable number in mind. I buy the bike.
So, don't judge an owner by their ad. They might rarely or never have sold a used car. If you are interested, just give them a ring. I actually like difficult ads because I figure there will be less competition from other buyers. I'd rather go after a local craigslist seller than compete for a nice car on ebay.
infraredcalvin
You are right, I suppose I’m reeling from some recent frustration from sellers that have been completely unrealistic, realize the true market, then sold elsewhere for less.

Just kicking myself for missing the swb boat hissyfit.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 13 2018, 10:00 AM) *

You are right, I suppose I’m reeling from some recent frustration from sellers that have been completely unrealistic, realize the true market, then sold elsewhere for less.

Just kicking myself for missing the swb boat hissyfit.gif

Amen.
76-914
No Money Shots; Hmmm. What do ya want to bet he does end up taking much less than "he" thinks it's worth. happy11.gif
Dave_Darling
A white 74... So the next question is, what's the VIN? Is it in the LE range?

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2018, 08:09 AM) *

I just bought a motorcycle that had the same sort of ad. In fact, it said. "I know what it's worth and so should you". Sounds strange but I call him up and we have a good conversation. Yes, he knew values but he made a very good allowance for the deferred maintenance and has a very reasonable number in mind. I buy the bike.
So, don't judge an owner by their ad. They might rarely or never have sold a used car. If you are interested, just give them a ring. I actually like difficult ads because I figure there will be less competition from other buyers. I'd rather go after a local craigslist seller than compete for a nice car on ebay.

I agree. Some people just don’t know how to write an ad. Run off butt hurt by the wording and you might miss out on a good deal...
Unobtanium-inc
The best way to buy a car is to call the seller, no email, no text, a real phone call. It weeds out the scammers, slimeballs (most of them), and usually gets you to the meat of the deal. I do find it annoying when people say "make an offer" or don't list a price but say "they know what's it worth". I always feel like this people aren't ready to sell the car, but if you're interested in a car, call, you would be surprised how far that goes with some guys.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 13 2018, 09:37 PM) *

The best way to buy a car is to call the seller, no email, no text, a real phone call. It weeds out the scammers, slimeballs (most of them), and usually gets you to the meat of the deal. I do find it annoying when people say "make an offer" or don't list a price but say "they know what's it worth". I always feel like this people aren't ready to sell the car, but if you're interested in a car, call, you would be surprised how far that goes with some guys.

True I’m sure. After all, not many of us buy as many cars as Adam...
IronHillRestorations
You never know if you don't ask. He should post pics of the battery tray and hell hole though.

Some guys get pissy because I say I charge actual shipping, and I'm not going to spend time to quote; it is what it is.
mepstein
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 13 2018, 08:40 PM) *

You never know if you don't ask. He should post pics of the battery tray and hell hole though.

Some guys get pissy because I say I charge actual shipping, and I'm not going to spend time to quote; it is what it is.

So here's a tip - let the buyer handle shipping. It will make your life so much easier. I'll load a car on a truck. Pallet and load an engine or trans on the truck but will no longer make the shipping arrangements. Why? Well if the shipper has a problem, It all used to fall on me. It can kill a day or 3 when the shipper screws up. It's out of my hands once it's loaded on the truck so it makes sense to be out of my life as well. These days the shipping companies make it so easy for the buyer, you don't have to be a pro. No reason to hunt for quotes for the buyer if they are the one making the decision.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2018, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 13 2018, 08:40 PM) *

So here's a tip - let the buyer handle shipping. It will make your life so much easier. I'll load a car on a truck. Pallet and load an engine or trans on the truck but will no longer make the shipping arrangements. Why? Well if the shipper has a problem, It all used to fall on me. It can kill a day or 3 when the shipper screws up. It's out of my hands once it's loaded on the truck so it makes sense to be out of my life as well. These days the shipping companies make it so easy for the buyer, you don't have to be a pro. No reason to hunt for quotes for the buyer if they are the one making the decision.

This too is GREAT advice, that I too learned the hard way, we don't handle shipping on cars, I load them carefully, take a bunch of pics, and then they go away. When they stuck in customs, not my problem, when they get damaged, not my problem. Once it leaves my gate, my job is done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.