Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix -This weekend 7/13-7/15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Olympic 914
Anyone going to the PVGP? I didn't take the teener last year because of some electrical gremlins that turned out were hiding in my relay board. So this will be the first year it will be on the lawn there. I an kind of excited to show off the car.

There is a 100+ mile ride today through the backroads north of Pittsburgh hitting McConnell's mill, and Lake Arthur. its called the Glacier tour and they have run it for a couple years now. then they meet at the Double Wide Grill restaurant after. We will be taking the Cayman on this ride. I expect to be in pretty fast company....

Saturday and Sunday are the races through Schenley Park, this is one of only two races held on city streets, the other being Monaco. Plenty of places around to spectate. and cars of all types parked around the golf course. The teener will be parked in the Porsche area on German hill. too many cars to look at. Italian, British, Asian, the American Iron gets there own piece of hill across the street. There is a fee to park on the lawn, and I think you have to belong or at least contribute to one of the car clubs to park there. $85 paid to ARPCA gets you a spot on the lawn and a catered lunch for two. But the event is free if you just want to walk on. they run parking shuttles from various lots around the park.

The event supports the Autism society, Hope to see you there.

Look for my little blue teener.
Spoke
I'm planning to take my black 930 tomorrow to the car show. I'll look for your 914.
Mike Fitton
I went with the Chicago PCA a couple years ago, this is a great event! Brought my 993 which is the only car my wife will ride in. Schenley Park is in a great location near the colleges (Pitt, Carnegie & Duquesne) lots of good restaurants, bars, etc. Hope to make it again next year. Many, many great cars on display.
Spoke
Had a great time at the car show on Saturday. Beautiful cars everywhere you looked. Each one looked better than the last.

Nice to meet Tom and his wife in person.

It was really cool to have the Grand Prix racers practicing during the show.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
This car is exactly like my older brother's car he had back in the 60s.

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
The Glacier Tour on Friday was fun, except for the unexpected tar & chip paving of about a five mile section, where speeds were reduced to about 15 mph to avoid the stone chips..... Here are some pics of the group.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

They brought 3 race cars but I only took a picture of this one. they started them up and no recording could do justice to the sound, you could feel the scream of the engine on your body.

Click to view attachment

Saturday had some time trials and of course the fields of cars.

This immaculate 911

Click to view attachment

And a few spots up Jerrys 930

Click to view attachment

A few 914s were sprinkled in the crowd, I think I counted 6 or 7

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Of course there were other non-P cars also.

The car of the year was the BMW 2002. I heard there were over 150 of them showed up..

Click to view attachment

Couple Gullwings also...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This event is HUGE.!!

Great fun day, and beautiful weather.
Spoke
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 16 2018, 10:19 PM)

The next picture of my car will be on a flatbed heading back to Allentown. On the way home the car stopped idling and I had to heel-toe it back to my buddy's house. Turned the idle adjustment all the way up just to get 800RPM and running poorly. Made it to Plum and it's dead now. Flatbed coming tomorrow morning. Not the way I wanted to drive it home.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 16 2018, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 16 2018, 10:19 PM)

The next picture of my car will be on a flatbed heading back to Allentown. On the way home the car stopped idling and I had to heel-toe it back to my buddy's house. Turned the idle adjustment all the way up just to get 800RPM and running poorly. Made it to Plum and it's dead now. Flatbed coming tomorrow morning. Not the way I wanted to drive it home.

Did you figure out what happened yet?

Hope its an inexpensive fix.
gereed75
Spoke. Bad juju for flatbeds. I also came home from event on a trailer. Not the 914 though - race car Datsun 510. On the trailer Saturday after an encounter with a jersey barrier in turn 3. Stupid race car trick on my part ☹️

Really really premier event for East Coast guys if you haven’t been !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.