Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermostat Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jackba
I was under my '74 2.0 and noticed that the thin cable that connects to the thermostat is no longer on the pulley. I live in a warm climate and my car has never been hard to start in any weather. Is it important to have tension on the cable in a warm climate? Or will the engine run hotter?
Appreciate help from the experts.
Jack
Dave_Darling
If there's no tension on the cable, it is more or less the same as if the cable is broken. The spring-loaded flaps will default to the "maximum cooling" position, and it will take longer for your engine to come up to operating temperature.

--DD
BeatNavy
In a stock setup if the cable is not under tension you will be in "full cooling mode." The springs on the air flaps should push it to full open.

BUT...you really should run with the thermostat and cooling system in place. Leaving it like it is will result in the engine not coming up to temperature as quickly as it should, and that means more engine wear, and less efficient operation.

You've got all the pieces it sounds like. It's not that hard to hook it back up! Easiest way is to put heat gun on it, let the thermostat expand all the way, then take the slack out of the cable and secure it up top where it connects on top of the shroud.
Chip
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 13 2018, 05:19 PM) *

In a stock setup if the cable is not under tension you will be in "full cooling mode." The springs on the air flaps should push it to full open.

BUT...you really should run with the thermostat and cooling system in place. Leaving it like it is will result in the engine not coming up to temperature as quickly as it should, and that means more engine wear, and less efficient operation.

You've got all the pieces it sounds like. It's not that hard to hook it back up! Easiest way is to put heat gun on it, let the thermostat expand all the way, then take the slack out of the cable and secure it up top where it connects on top of the shroud.

Is there anything too complex for this forum? type.gif java script:emoticon(':type:','smid_57')
Jackba
QUOTE(Chip @ Jul 13 2018, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 13 2018, 05:19 PM) *

Is there anything too complex for this forum? type.gif java script:emoticon(':type:','smid_57')

What a great suggestion to use a heat gun! I'll do it!
Thank you.
iankarr
Here's the heat gun doing it's magic in-action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFrcKSB-oUM

What I'm not sure about is if the heat gun gets the thermostat to extend further than than the engine would. When my cable came off the pulley I loosened the set screw on the vanes and got it back on the pulley. Then drove the car for 30 minutes (so the thermostat was in its full "normal" extension), then pulled the cable so it was juuuussst barely tight on the vane without pulling it (so the flaps were in full cooling position). When the engine cooled I checked and saw that the vane was pulled back as it should.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.