Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost 2nd and 4th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ed_Turbo
Hey guys,

I went out cruising and ate dinner in the 914. driving.gif Nice drive and dinner until heading home I could not engage 2nd and 4th. Just kept grinding but I managed to work around and skip the gears.

Took it back to the garage and check what I found. Looks like the bushings went to valhalla.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Worked on other transmission linkage/shifters before so not new to me. I will be ordering a shift bushing kit from Marky Mark. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

Anything else I should be aware about with these 901 trannies?

-Ed
76-914
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 14 2018, 11:18 AM) *

Hey guys,

I went out cruising and ate dinner in the 914. driving.gif Nice drive and dinner until heading home I could not engage 2nd and 4th. Just kept grinding but I managed to work around and skip the gears.

Took it back to the garage and check what I found. Looks like the bushings went to valhalla.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Worked on other transmission linkage/shifters before so not new to me. I will be ordering a shift bushing kit from Marky Mark. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

-Ed

Might I suggest the brass bushings. $50 and damned well worth it. beerchug.gif
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Hey guys,

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-Ed

I agree. Do all your bushings. Use the oil bronze bushings where they are available. Check all linkages for slop and tighten or replace cone (pointed)set screws. There is a roll pin back near the side shift console on the gear box on the 90 degree elbow or knuckle the I have found very worn and sloppy too. I drilled and threaded in an extra set screw there to remove slop at that roll pin. Helps tighten up the whole shift linkage assembly. Clean, grease, and put covers on to keep grit out of the grease. Good luck!
Ed_Turbo
[/quote]
[/quote]
I agree. Do all your bushings. Use the oil bronze bushings where they are available. Check all linkages for slop and tighten or replace cone (pointed)set screws. There is a roll pin back near the side shift console on the gear box on the 90 degree elbow or knuckle the I have found very worn and sloppy too. I drilled and threaded in an extra set screw there to remove slop at that roll pin. Helps tighten up the whole shift linkage assembly. Clean, grease, and put covers on to keep grit out of the grease. Good luck!
[/quote]

Oh yeah, the set screws. Got to check those out see how they are, thanks beerchug.gif

Who sells the brass ones? Bruce, hey Bruce where are you? I know you are on your computer. laugh.gif

$50 is not that much, but I need to maintain a budget for the interior. I am also starting the Fall semester next month for the Grad program so I need to balance my expenses.

-Ed
914-300Hemi
Glad to hear that you made it home okay. It is an easy fix and you don’t have drop the engine.

Make sure you update all the bushings at the same time. You will also need align the shifting but it will shift much better.
EdwardBlume
Thadle do it! evilgrin.gif
maf914
Brass shift coupler bushings are available from Pelican Parts, and also on Ebay. No affiliation with either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-912-91...ksid=m570.l1313

rhodyguy
JWest, member vendor, sells the screws except they're a tapered end bolt that has a jam nut. Buy new, various rubber items for the linkage assem while you're buying from 914rubber. If you decide to pull the shifter, index the current setting with a sharpie.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Jul 14 2018, 12:38 PM) *

Glad to hear that you made it home okay. It is an easy fix and you don’t have drop the engine.

Make sure you update all the bushings at the same time. You will also need align the shifting but it will shift much better.

Thanks Rav...

Anyone have a link how to align the shifter for the 914 w/ side shifter? Mark it with a sharpie on the links? I can’t find a link anywhere and I do not like to be on the computer too long.

-Ed
ndfrigi
Easy fix sir! Maybe no need to adjust the shifter if everything is working before or if needed, probably light adjustment only by the stick shift area. Firewall bushing really need replacement based on ur pic.
Bartlett 914
Until recently, I have made and supported the oilite shifter bushings. I recently replaced another set. I have come to the conclusion the oilite is the wrong material. I think plastic is better. The oilite is a sintered material impregnated with oil. As a bearing, it worls well. As the bearing heats up, it liquefies and lubricated. In this application that does not happen. I feel the metal crumbles and fails. The new one I made is an aluminum bronze alloy 954. Time will tell.

Another tip is the cone screw. Buy 1/8" nylon balls. Heat the cone screw slightly and the old one will bubble. Pop it out and press in the new ball. A lot will stick out. When screwing in place the excess will come off but more than enough will remain and do it's job. $5.00 for 100 balls. Much cheaper to go this way. I have never had a failure
ClayPerrine
Get rid of the coupler completely and use a steering U-Joint. It never gets sloppy. And you probably have all the parts laying around your garage.

Click to view attachment

ndfrigi
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jul 14 2018, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Hey guys,

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

-Ed

Here a pic installed on Mark E. 1974 1.8F.I.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.