Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Catching 1st gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
Car runs great after putting her back together and now have 1800 miles of Fun Fun Fun on her. Wife and I enjoy driving around the island area enjoying the scenery. A couple of trips to Stoddard's and a run to Mid Ohio for the IMSA races and the car runs great except for one issue.

Tranny rebuilt by Dr Evil and all shifter bushings were replaced. When attempting to get the car into first gear the selection if very hard and is hard to locate. All other gears are easy to locate and car shifts fine otherwise. Have had to resort to putting the car into 1st gear while it still rolling as that helps to get it into gear. Waiting at the light then requires me to stand on the clutch until ready to launch.

Tried to rotate the shift linkage one tooth right and then left and all that did was cause issues with other gear selections. It's back to where it was originally

I did not rebuild the shifter mechanism in the car as it seemed to be Ok at the time. Is this my problem ??

Is this normal for a 914 or is there something else I should be looking into. This is our second 914 in my life and I don't remember this being a problem back in 1980 but of course that was along time ago.

Appreciate any help.
ConeDodger
Shift linkage adjustment sounds in order.
Mike Bellis
Or clutch cable adjustment. As the age, they stretch... Usually right before they break...
Mikey914
Is reverse also difficult to engage also? I suspect clutch.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 14 2018, 11:09 PM) *

Is reverse also difficult to engage also? I suspect clutch.

agree.gif
Both of mine are bitchy getting into first when sitting still...suspect that I still need to tighten the clutch cable bit. A good test is to get it warmed up, (remember that the cable will grow a bit when hot) put it in neutral, foot off clutch, then push the clutch all the way to the floor, count two seconds and try reverse. If it grinds, you need to tighten the clutch cable a bit & try again....
tsvo
I had similar issues and adjusting the clutch cable helped quite a bit.
Mikey914
The cable will stretch if ground cable is not making good contact. So if it needs readjusting again shortly after, chec5the ground strap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.