Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Windshield Washer Conversion 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
rothaus
On the Porsche 914 the original windshield washer is operated by compressed air supplied from the Spare tire.

Here is the switch that replaces the original valve in the steering column. With this switch installed, an electrical washer pump can be operated with the wiper switch.

IPB Image

I got some requests if it would be possible to have a complete kit available. So I put together a complete kit, and also have now options. It's not yet on the website, however here is the information with the options and prices.

Option 1: Switch only - $15.00 PLUS $5 s/h
Option 2: Relay kit only - $35.00 plus $6 s/h
Option 3: Switch and relay kit - $50.00 plus $6 s/h
Option 4: Option 3 plus pump - $72.00 plus $8 s/h

The switch is pre-wired and includes the mounting plate and some washer for adjustment if needed.

IPB Image

The relay kit includes all wires, a fuse, and connectors, shrink tubing, bolt to mount the relay, as well the disc for the filler cap.

IPB Image

Here is the wire diagram which will also be included in the step by step instructions.
IPB Image

The switch can be ordered at http://carmagic.us/washer.html

Cheers
Engelbert
orthobiz
I did this conversion in the 80's on an old car of mine with Radio Shack parts. I wish this thing was available at the time, way more elegant and a good value. Betcha some would like the motor and tubing as a complete bundle...

Paul
bretth
Awesome! Beats having windshield fluid dripping in your lap.

Brett
amfab
well thats just a fantastically simple solution. Will buy one when I get to reassembly
cary
That's cool ............. Well done.
I think I'll inventory a few for future projects.
BillC
I installed one of these in my 914 a couple of weeks ago. Very straightforward installation, and basically went as well as you could expect.

A couple of minor points, though:
  1. You'll have to drill out the hole in the wiper switch frame that the old valve pin goes through, since the pin in the new switch is a larger diameter. Do this carefully, so you don't damage the lever end that presses on the switch pin.
  2. I added a plug on the switch wires, a little bit further out than the location for the stock harness plug, to allow the new wiring to be disconnected. If you don't do this, you'll need to pull all the new wiring if you ever want to remove the wiper switch or the column. Fortunately, with the hoses out of the way, there's plenty of room for a small plug to fit through the column. Maybe Rothaus can offer a plug/connector as an option?
buck toenges
Can somebody help me with the electrical hook up? I have 2 wires from the switch and I have 2 wires from the pump. How do I hook those wires up and get power to the pump?

Thanks,
Buck
rothaus
Here is a video from A electric washer pump conversion. This may help. The only difference is that there will be no switch to be installed in the dash, and the lever can be used to operation the electric pump.

Video
davep
The wiring is very simple. From a fused 12 volt source (fuse panel) run a hot wire to the pump positive side. From the pump negative side run a wire to the switch. From the other side of the switch run a ground wire to the multiple ground stud near the fuse box. I am not sure what the switch rating is, so a relay could be added to keep the switch current in line with it's rating. I came up with a mounted switch years ago to do this very task.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7916&st=29#
rothaus
Ok, here is my recommended wire diagram for the washer switch installation. However, there are other ways to wire the switch.

IPB Image

Hope this will help.

Thanks
Engelbert
cary
Bump
russmoffat
I did this exact setup here. Wondering if anyone else has had issue with the switch going off unintentionally? Seems like it is too sensitive and has gone off a few times for me when I didn’t want it to. Considering inserting a spring to ensure that it stays put unless you put pressure on it?
Mikey914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 19 2018, 02:24 AM) *

I did this conversion in the 80's on an old car of mine with Radio Shack parts. I wish this thing was available at the time, way more elegant and a good value. Betcha some would like the motor and tubing as a complete bundle...

Paul

I can supply tubing if you need it.
FUEL14
If I want to use the column stalk for the washer, can Engelbert's switch be used in conjunction with SirAndy's method as described here http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_el_washer.php ?
FlacaProductions
@FUEL14 - yes. I did just that. Just use the new column switch for step 8 in Andy's method.
FUEL14
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 12 2020, 01:12 AM) *

@FUEL14 - yes. I did just that. Just use the new column switch for step 8 in Andy's method.

Fantastic, thanks for confirming.
ThinAir
Where has this been all my life? Ordered!!!!!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rothaus @ Feb 10 2019, 07:04 PM) *

Ok, here is my recommended wire diagram for the washer switch installation. However, there are other ways to wire the switch.

IPB Image

Hope this will help.

Thanks
Engelbert

since several other members are dealing with this issue again , i am bringing it up again to ask if this relay will work? only difference i see is it has a 87 & 87b. that and the 85&86 are unopposed positions.
Zaffer
Will definitely order soon as I expect to have the car (possibly) back on the road this year.
cary
We've installed a couple without any issues in the shop.
I'll have to ask the clients.
rothaus
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 25 2021, 06:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Hope this will help.

Thanks
Engelbert

since several other members are dealing with this issue again , i am bringing it up again to ask if this relay will work? only difference i see is it has a 87 & 87b. that and the 85&86 are unopposed positions.

This is basically a Bosch type relay. 87a is normal activated. 87 is activated when the coil is energized. So 87a is not used.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rothaus @ Apr 26 2021, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 25 2021, 06:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Hope this will help.

Thanks
Engelbert

This is basically a Bosch type relay. 87a is normal activated. 87 is activated when the coil is energized. So 87a is not used.

super thanks for the response, i am going to install this relay tonight! i should have a working washer pump soon! yay! when i go the car 12 years ago i had dry rotted water lines leaking, and i changed them out but still had issues, 2 years ago after paint and body , i put in the new lines and squirters with anticipation of getting a pump. just nice to. wrap up a few small details like this that didn’t get done at the time.

rothaus
I added some options and now a complete kit is available. Check the first post where I added all the info.

Thanks
Engelbert
Warren914

The only issue I see using that relay is the potential of the relay having a built in diode across the coil. If there's no diode you're good to go.

Adding a reverse bias diode will reduce sparking across the switch when the relay is released, potentially eliminating another problem down the road.

[/quote]
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.