Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder base sealant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Would Yamabond 4 be ok to use to seal Type 4 cylinder bases and shims to case? Tom Wilson recommends Permatex aviation 3 which I believe is now called Permatex aviation Form A Gasket 3, but I have a fresh tube of Yamabond on hand and wondered if that would work just as well. Will soon be doing deck height and valve train geometry so starting to get materials gathered.

Thanks.
Dave_Darling
Yamabond is pretty good stuff. I know mechanics who use it for quite a few similar uses.

--DD
mgphoto
Curil T for the cylinder base gaskets was recommended, and has worked fine for me.
Wilson book is great info but dated as to sealants.
Curil K2 for case halves.
Mark Henry
You can use yamabond.

You could use black RTV (gasp huh.gif ) for cylinder bases (only), I used it for years never a problem.

I now use loctite SI 5900 which is RTV and Porsche spec for 996 engine case halves, valve covers, and good for T1 and T4 cylinder bases, etc. It's a special RTV that doesn't degrade in oil/fuel and cause "worms".
It's what I (and builders like Jake, Porsche factory) use on our $30K+ 996/997 engine builds.

Threebond, yamabond, dirko and many others are RTV based sealants.

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jul 16 2018, 01:14 AM) *

Curil T for the cylinder base gaskets was recommended, and has worked fine for me.
Wilson book is great info but dated as to sealants.
Curil K2 for case halves.

BTDT, not a fan of Curil sealants.
Not saying bad, just saying now there's better.
injunmort
I used yamabond on case halves and hylamar everywhere else, three years of driving and no problems. I like hylamar because it does not harden or leak. good enough for rolls Royce, good enough for me. fwiw.
bbrock
Awesome! Thanks all. I certainly don't mind buying the right product for the job, but the yamabond is already in the glue drawer and suspected it would work just fine. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.