Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Airtex E8445 fuel pump flow direction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
..to hear it run, but there are no directions or markings to indicate direction of flow? The Instructions show mounting details well, but no IN/OUT flow indication? sunglasses.gif
Beebo Kanelle
blow on it. there should be internal check valves that will only let you blow through the suction side.
TravisNeff
The screw on hose barb is the inlet I believe. Can double check tomight
TravisNeff
Confirmed, the screw on hose barb is the inlet.
Jamie
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 16 2018, 05:12 PM) *

Thanks Travis, I did install it correctly, thank goodness! You've been a great help for me in this process. beer.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 16 2018, 08:31 PM) *

Thanks Travis, I did install it correctly, thank goodness! You've been a great help for me in this process. beer.gif

While the most common reason for no fuel flow is a pinched line, it is possible to wire the airtex pump backwards. That causes no fuel flow too.

Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 17 2018, 03:45 AM) *

While the most common reason for no fuel flow is a pinched line, it is possible to wire the airtex pump backwards. That causes no fuel flow too.

Clay, fortunately the polarity contacts on the pump are well marked, but I have a technical question for you. As I recall, although this project has dragged on for more than a year now, the old pump when activated would run for various intervals until the system was pressurized, then shut off. When I installed the Airtex last week, it runs for about 2 sec. and then shuts off. There is still some air in the fuel lines, especially visible in the secondary fuel filter installed in the engine compartment. I have cycled the pump many times, so what component in the electrical system shuts the pump off so quickly, is there a pressure sensor somewhere? When I finally get the engine running, will the air purge itself from the system or will I have to attempt that manually?
TravisNeff
When you turn the key the pump runs for a couple of seconds and stops. Once you start the car, the pump should run continually. I had a relay board fail on me and the fuel pump would work at all. Replaced the board with a spare and I was good to go.
jcd914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 17 2018, 06:02 PM) *

When you turn the key the pump runs for a couple of seconds and stops. Once you start the car, the pump should run continually. I had a relay board fail on me and the fuel pump would work at all. Replaced the board with a spare and I was good to go.

agree.gif

Is this a Fuel Injected car?

There should NOT be a fuel filter in the engine compartment on a FI car (any car really).
On FI car, any fuel filter down stream of the pump needs to be a high pressure filter and that automatically eliminates any filter you can see through.

A plastic or glass fuel filter in the engine compartment is a fire hazard.

Get rid of the the engine compartment fuel filter.

Jim
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 17 2018, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 17 2018, 03:45 AM) *

Clay, fortunately the polarity contacts on the pump are well marked, but I have a technical question for you. As I recall, although this project has dragged on for more than a year now, the old pump when activated would run for various intervals until the system was pressurized, then shut off. When I installed the Airtex last week, it runs for about 2 sec. and then shuts off. There is still some air in the fuel lines, especially visible in the secondary fuel filter installed in the engine compartment. I have cycled the pump many times, so what component in the electrical system shuts the pump off so quickly, is there a pressure sensor somewhere? When I finally get the engine running, will the air purge itself from the system or will I have to attempt that manually?

I am assuming this is D-Jet...

Shoot some carb spray in the intake and see if it tries to fire. This will tell us if it is an issue with ignition or fuel injection.

There is a hose barb on one of the fuel rails (can't remember which side) that is plugged with a tiny screw. Remove the screw, and install a fuel pressure gauge. Cycle the key a few times, and see if the fuel pressure comes up. It should be 28 psi. If it doesn't, remove the fuel pump relay and jumper pins 30 and 87. The fuel pump should come on, and the pressure should come up.

Also, with the key on, lean into the engine compartment and open the throttle. You should hear the injectors click. If you don't, you have an electrical issue with the FI. I would start with the relays on the relay board.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.