Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting my 914 to run after 20 yrs sitting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jadman
After letting my 1973 914-4 1.7L sit in my garage for 20 years i finally am trying to get it running again. Engine ran fine until I let the car sit around and battery died. it has dual Weber 32/36DFAV Carbs (but the water choke has been replaced by electric, but they are not connected). I drained the oil and fuel from the lines. Do I have to rebuild both carbs or can I somehow clean them and try to start the car? I think I need a new electric fuel pump so will replace it too.

Any suggestions on what else I should do to get it running?
mepstein
If it was my ne, I would replace all the fuel lines including the ones that run down the tunnel. Of the almost 20 - 914’s I’ve purchased. Most have had dried out or cracked lines. I’m not buying the cream of the crop but rubber doesn’t well, especially after being exposed to gas.

welcome.png
carking1996
Welcome! Glad to hear another one coming on the road!
Porschef
Tons of threads about this sort of thing. One right now, jadman's. If it was running, you'll have less to deal with. Clean up/out the fuel system, battery, oil, and see what happens, shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck, get 'er rolling beer.gif
burton73
Welcome welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.