Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remote starter button
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
I want to add a hidden remote starter button. Can I tap into the yellow wire under the passenger seat (used to have the interlock - but all that is bypassed)?

Switch tied to yellow wire and a switched hot?

It will still require a key to switch to "ON" position - but I know the keyswitch will fail on me in the middle of the Mojave or someplace similar.

Thanks in advance!
Dave_Darling
Yes, you can do that. But it means that all of your starter current will go through the normal "switched power" part of the ignition switch, and I don't think that's designed to take that kind of current for long. It might work as an emergency backup, but I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to replace your ignition switch anyway after using it a few times.

You might consider putting a relay under the seat, then running a nice fat un-switched wire to power the relay, and using switched power and the new button to trigger it.

--DD
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 17 2018, 12:29 PM) *

Yes, you can do that. But it means that all of your starter current will go through the normal "switched power" part of the ignition switch, and I don't think that's designed to take that kind of current for long. It might work as an emergency backup, but I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to replace your ignition switch anyway after using it a few times.

You might consider putting a relay under the seat, then running a nice fat un-switched wire to power the relay, and using switched power and the new button to trigger it.

--DD

Thanks DD - I like your idea better - cheers!
jim_hoyland
I wired mine directly to the remote relay by the starter
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 17 2018, 12:46 PM) *

I wired mine directly to the remote relay by the starter

Hi Jim,

I have been thinking about adding the Ford relay - now it the perfect time....
jcd914
O have a big fat power wire from the battery run behind passenger seat where the seat belt interlock used to be. This eventually will be where my mega-squirt control unit lives.

I plan to install and heavy duty relay to operate as the hot start relay does to reduced the load on the ignition switch. I plan to use the yellow wire from the ignition switch to energize the relay and the battery power from the relay to the starter solenoid.

Jim
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 17 2018, 01:14 PM) *

O have a big fat power wire from the battery run behind passenger seat where the seat belt interlock used to be. This eventually will be where my mega-squirt control unit lives.

I plan to install and heavy duty relay to operate as the hot start relay does to reduced the load on the ignition switch. I plan to use the yellow wire from the ignition switch to energize the relay and the battery power from the relay to the starter solenoid.

Jim

Nice - Mega Squirt........... drooley.gif
porschetub
If you install the Ford relay there should be no need for a separate switch,I had one in a Kombi that I bought because the PO couldn't fit a new switch it was a PITA.
My understanding is by fitting a relay you are removing load from the switch and it merely becomes a device to activate the starter,Mark Henry mentioned less switch issues,makes sense.
It not only the plastic that go's on the switch ,the contacts for the start (cranking)function get worn and burnt ,at least one switch problem is gone with the relay.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 17 2018, 02:30 PM) *

If you install the Ford relay there should be no need for a separate switch,I had one in a Kombi that I bought because the PO couldn't fit a new switch it was a PITA.
My understanding is by fitting a relay you are removing load from the switch and it merely becomes a device to activate the starter,Mark Henry mentioned less switch issues,makes sense.
It not only the plastic that go's on the switch ,the contacts for the start (cranking)function get worn and burnt ,at least one switch problem is gone with the relay.

Yes - I agree - I have had both contacts and plastics fail on nearly new switches (not German).
hedfurst
I have a relay on my starter with 2 GROUND buttons that complete the relay circuit( and thereby engage the starter). One buttons on the dash and the others in the engine compartment.
Key =on the ignition and the button the starter!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hedfurst @ Jul 18 2018, 01:48 PM) *

I have a relay on my starter with 2 GROUND buttons that complete the relay circuit( and thereby engage the starter). One buttons on the dash and the others in the engine compartment.

Very smart.
914Toy
I have a push start wired per Dave Darling's advice above. Works perfectly, and This removes the "twist" stress on the key switch which will let this switch last much longer.
porschetub
Its not only the plastic that go's on the switch ,the contacts for the start (cranking)function get worn and burnt ,at least one switch problem is gone with the relay.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 17 2018, 01:09 PM) *

I want to add a hidden remote starter button. Can I tap into the yellow wire under the passenger seat (used to have the interlock - but all that is bypassed)?

Switch tied to yellow wire and a switched hot?

It will still require a key to switch to "ON" position - but I know the keyswitch will fail on me in the middle of the Mojave or someplace similar.

Thanks in advance!

Installed the Ford start relay per Make Henry's instruction thread. My start issues, not even a hot start issue, have since been solved. Easy to do as well. A kill switch should be easy to connect into this circuit
hedfurst
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 18 2018, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(hedfurst @ Jul 18 2018, 01:48 PM) *

Very smart.

Thanks Kansas! had it now for a # of years and no probs. Have a roll cage and it was increasingly difficult to crank up the car and get out of it to make adjustments before it would die! Had to drive it or warm up for 20 minutes. No chokes on the Delortos!
BK911
Dont have a wiring diagram handy, so from memory...

My switch failed quite a few years ago, maybe 8 or so?
So I installed a generic push button from FLAPS that emulated the ignition switch circuit.
I think I removed the yellow and a red wire from the back of the ignition switch, and connected to the new push button.
Turn the key to "on", then hit the push button.
Been working for 8-ish years now with no problem.
And the new switch fit in a hole that was already under the steering column.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.