Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 fog lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Racer
My early US delivery 914-6 (s/n 172) did not come with lights in the bumpers (fog lights?). I know this is true because my dad was the original owner and installed larger square aftermarket lights a few years later (but they were subsequently removed). of note, the car originally had steel wheels, but they were swapped out for 14" fuchs at time of purchase.

I have always assumed 914/6 for the US and "appearance group" 4's came with fog lights. Is this not true

Wondering who else has a -6 without the lights. The various COA's make no mention of the lights.

Thoughts?

obligatory pic:
Click to view attachment
mskala
I have one without fog lights. Seen pictures of others. I never thought to look in the
option list.
914Sixer
Brochure says it should have fog lights standard but now we know that was not always the case.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Dave,
My 70/4, build date 01.1970, was delivered on 01 April 1970. It was delivered to the original owner (I am the second owner as of July 1975) with the appearance package, but without fog lights, 5 1/2" wheels and tethered passenger footrest. At a subsequent service the originating dealer installed the correct fog lights, but the wider steel rims and footrest never were added.

I am not surprised that the early production cars were delivered without all the equipment that they were supposed to have. I attribute this anomaly to the lack of the availability of all the items that were probably scarce in the parts bins at the time of their manufacture.

My fog lights date to a later 1970 installation by the dealer. Note the unusual fog lamp switch on the dashboard photo, also a late 1970 install.

Paul
Racer
Appreciate the feedback and pics.

My 70/4 was a base model.. No appearance package and had body colored grills in the bumper. The -6 has chromed grills to match the bumper. When I was cleaning the car up a bit I noticed how pitted the grills look.

Can one find (buy) chromed grills without the fog light holes? I see grills with holes for lights (repro? oem?) are available. Do I have mine re-chromed or just enjoy the "patina" of use wink.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 19 2018, 05:46 PM) *

Dave,
My 70/4, build date 01.1970, was delivered on 01 April 1970. It was delivered to the original owner (I am the second owner as of July 1975) with the appearance package, but without fog lights, 5 1/2" wheels and tethered passenger footrest. At a subsequent service the originating dealer installed the correct fog lights, but the wider steel rims and footrest never were added.

I am not surprised that the early production cars were delivered without all the equipment that they were supposed to have. I attribute this anomaly to the lack of the availability of all the items that were probably scarce in the parts bins at the time of their manufacture.

My fog lights date to a later 1970 installation by the dealer. Note the unusual fog lamp switch on the dashboard photo, also a late 1970 install.

Paul

That switch would be correct for a 65-69 911/912, the dot in the center should light up when the lights are on.
davep
QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 19 2018, 09:57 AM) *

My early US delivery 914-6 (s/n 172) did not come with lights in the bumpers (fog lights?).
The various COA's make no mention of the lights.

I have about 150 914/6 COA and many do list the fog lights as an option; M566
In 1971 fog lights & leather steering wheel became standard equipment.
If you do have the COA, could you email it to me to aid my research please. I'll PM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.