Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Color, Keep Original, Change ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Jakester1

I'm doing a rotisserie restoration on my '76 914 Scarlet (Mars) Red, code L31M.
My question is will changing the color hurt the value of the car?
The car was in great shape but for the hell hole rust (BAD), very little rust in other areas of the car. Also what is the opinion when changing the bumpers? The stock BIG black plastic ones are ? ? UGLY. So keep the car all original or change bumpers and color? Thanks : Jake
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jakester1 @ Jul 20 2018, 11:55 AM) *

I'm doing a rotisserie restoration on my '76 914 Scarlet (Mars) Red, code L31M.
My question is will changing the color hurt the value of the car?
The car was in great shape but for the hell hole rust (BAD), very little rust in other areas of the car. Also what is the opinion when changing the bumpers? The stock BIG black plastic ones are ? ? UGLY. So keep the car all original or change bumpers and color? Thanks : Jake

Jake,
you will get a lot of differing opinions here on this but yes some of your value will be
based on condition and then originality now that collector values have increased in recent years. My opinion (IMHO) is stay original in color. If you want a black car, go buy a black car- some will say do what makes you happy or you like, but unless you are doing a full rotisserie restoration I would not change color - that is a rare color so I would keep that the same.
as far as your bumpers go, consider the cost of changing over, BUT if your bumpers are mint, keep them, if not, well changing to chrome bumpers can be done( I just did this to mine, but it can be changed back). You have to figure out your fog light mounting and horns etc. but that's not hard.
you can figure it could cost you up to $2000 to do this conversion with really nice chrome bumpers. I suppose with my fog lights, a rechromed front bumper and a purchased but newly rechromed rear, and toppers I will be at $2000 for that conversion alone. You can do it cheaper but you will find once you start down that road of repainting and having new stuff you don't want to put old stuff back on the car. It is a slippery slope!
welcome.png good luck what ever you do - I am just up the road 2 hours in South Carolina and there are other members right in the Jax area as well if you need help or assistance
orthobiz
If you keep the bumpers, keep the original paint color.
If you change the bumpers, do what pleases you!

Paul
mepstein
What ever makes you happy when you open the garage door.

welcome.png
davep
Major changes like those two would cost plenty that you would not recover upon sale, and probably less than otherwise. That color is a desirable one, so unless you hate it then it makes no sense. The older bumpers are not a bolt on solution.
Racer
For someone looking for an original, or a restored to original like condition, color change and bumper change will hurt. (and considering that you posted in "originality and history" you should know this would be the answer.

That said, its your car to do as you please. I used to hate the large bumpers.. but grew to like them for their relative uniqueness. Also, having been rear ended in my '78 911 (low speed) it became apparent that the weak chrome bumpers of the earlier cars would have proved worthless.

imho, the main reason to ditch the large rubber bumpers is to loose the weight.

Jakester1
Thank You, for your opinions, I did not know this was a rare color. The original paint in the Fwd. & Aft trunks is the original paint and still like new. The car will in a rotisserie to fix the rust in the hell hole area. With the cost of the rust repair and paint I should keep the original bumpers and paint color. I'll leave the original paint in the trunks and repaint the rest of the car.
Thank You,
Jake
mepstein
If I was worried about values, I sure wouldn't be messing with 914's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.