Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 2.0 FI, Unrestored Original
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
KELTY360
Highly original 1975 2.0L, D-jet FI, VIN# 4752902931. Fully loaded, extensive documentation including original window sticker. Ready to enjoy right now with the benefit of unlimited future potential. $18,500.

This car was out of service since 2007, covered with a car cover and tarp. A pair of 914 enthusiasts rescued the car from the second owner and worked on the mechanicals and cosmetics to give the new owner a car that can be enjoyed now and gradually restored as a survivor or taken off the road for a full-on restoration.

During that process many parts were replaced with correct used components known to be fully functional: distributor, MPS, pedal cluster, accelerator pedal. In addition, PMB rebuilt calipers, an accelerator cable and a 914Rubber master cylinder were added.

The body is extremely straight and solid with excellent body gaps on all panels, including the difficult headlight doors. The front inner fenders are pristine and the jack posts and longitudinals are likewise flawless. The battery tray is fully intact with light surface rust, no perforations and remnants of original paint. The hellhole is solid. The doors, both trunks and engine lid open and close smoothly with that satisfying click.

The bumpers and covers are in excellent shape as is the vinyl and shiny trim on the targa bar and sail panels. Front and rear valances are in very good condition.

The interior is beautiful and a real strong point of the car. The seats, dash, backpad and carpets have no rips, tears or cracks and show very little wear. The door panels are in excellent condition, except that they've been cut for aftermarket speakers. (note: 914Rubber has correct reproductions for the '75 door panels.) the windows roll up and down smoothly. Even the interior light in the backpad works, although it does have a crack. Note: the floor mats pictured are not included in the sale.

The paint is about 90% original. Part of the right rear fender was repainted and is flaky and chalky at the rear edge. There is a small bit of bubbling in a couple of spots: top of left rear fender and top of right front fender near the cowl. The front hood has some rock chips and light crazing. Overall, the paint is in remarkable condition for it's 45 years, with smooth, shiny surfaces and very few other chips. It's a very nice 10-footer.

A note about the color: the paint code on the door tag is L31M (Scarlet Red). The window sticker lists a $405 charge for "Color to Sample"; and the original owners manual lists the color as 1.RED (SPECIAL 911 COLOR). It appears to be very close to Guards Red in person.

The new owner will have some areas to address: back window needs to be re-glued, seat belts need to be cleaned for easy retraction, needs new driver's visor, targa top is not original to the car and needs new seals, engine bay and bottom side needs cleaning and detailing, right headlight pops up but doesn't go down on it's own. The Anza exhaust is aftermarket and is easily replaced if desired. Note: a nearly new (~200 mi.) Bursch exhaust has been obtained and is included in the sale.

It's a great driver: starts easily, idles steadily at 1k rpm, revs freely to redline, shifts like butter, stops perfectly and handles the way a 914 should handle. No leaks.

The option list, as shown on the window sticker, includes: front and rear sway bars, Bilstien shocks, driving lights, heated rear window, Fuchs alloy wheels, Appearance Group, intermittent windshield wiper, tinted glass.

In addition to the window sticker, the sale includes the original owner's manual, key pouch with red keys, key tag with original dealer code, tool pouch w/tools (screwdriver missing), extensive receipts back to the original owner, etc.

Cars like this don't come along very often. I'l be happy to answer any questions an interested buyer may have.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
The force is strong on this one. The lower rear firewall is excellent as are the floors. Orig GREEN Bilstiens on all 4 corners. The Fuch wheels are beautiful. Zero oil canning and original paint on the front trunk leads one to believe it's never been wacked.
76-914
agree.gif That is a very fine example and a very good deal. Most of us know what it can cost to bring a car to that condition. A person could park it, start it twice a month and watch the value increase. Better than a savings account for sure. beerchug.gif
KELTY360
boldblue.gif

Ready for fun...ready for the next level.
KELTY360
What's it worth for original paint on a super straight body?

What's it worth for a beautiful interior with no rips or cracks?

What's it worth for well sorted, original D-jet fuel injection?

You tell me.
Mblizzard
It may just be the pictures and the angle but it seems like along the bottom of the doors and other areas there are a number of surface imperfections that based on my completely insufficient knowledge could be indications of past repairs?

Were any of the body panel repaired as part of the repaint?
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 8 2018, 10:06 AM) *

It may just be the pictures and the angle but it seems like along the bottom of the doors and other areas there are a number of surface imperfections that based on my completely insufficient knowledge could be indications of past repairs?

I think it's primarily the angles and lighting. The only area I think has been repainted is the right rear fender as I disclosed. I haven't detected any damage to panels beyond that.
Coondog
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 8 2018, 08:59 PM) *

I think it's primarily the angles and lighting. The only area I think has been repainted is the right rear fender as I disclosed. I haven't detected any damage to panels beyond that.

I agree Red is a hard color to photograph, lighting has to be just right.
Good luck on selling your car, 18,500 is a very fair deal.
jagalyn
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 8 2018, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 8 2018, 08:59 PM) *

I agree Red is a hard color to photograph, lighting has to be just right.
Good luck on selling your car, 18,500 is a very fair deal.

I agree. I think it's the angles and the flash. This is a really nice car... a survivor.
KELTY360
Thanks for the comments.

The question got me curious, so I ran my cloth covered magnet over the entire car and could find no trace of any filler, even in the right rear corner which has been repainted. Every panel is smooth, solid and properly aligned except the small defects noted in the ad.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 9 2018, 11:32 AM) *

Thanks for the comments.

The question got me curious, so I ran my cloth covered magnet over the entire car and could find no trace of any filler, even in the right rear corner which has been repainted. Every panel is smooth, solid and properly aligned except the small defects noted in the ad.

I did not mean to imply there was and I apologize if that was how you took it. It is a cool car and like others have stated it is hard to tell from pictures. But that resolves it for anyone else that may see it!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 9 2018, 01:12 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 9 2018, 11:32 AM) *

Thanks for the comments.

I did not mean to imply there was and I apologize if that was how you took it. It is a cool car and like others have stated it is hard to tell from pictures. But that resolves it for anyone else that may see it!

No offense taken. I'm glad to hear questions and observations about the car. The more I've been around it, and lately, driving it, the more anxious I am to share it's features. I'm convinced the new owner is going to really enjoy it's unique qualities.
KELTY360
icon_bump.gif

BENBRO02
Did I miss the mileage? Very interesting that it has a L31M tag but says paint to match on the sticker. It sure looks like my 1975 Scarlet Red car but lighting in photographs can play havoc with colors.
GLWTS
KELTY360
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Aug 30 2018, 07:36 AM) *

Did I miss the mileage? Very interesting that it has a L31M tag but says paint to match on the sticker. It sure looks like my 1975 Scarlet Red car but lighting in photographs can play havoc with colors.
GLWTS

Mileage on the odo is 124xxx but the owners manual has a dealer stamp that indicates the speedo was replaced at 14xxx, so I think it's about 138xxx.
KELTY360
Just purchased a nearly new (approx 200 miles) Bursch exhaust for '75-'76 2.0 to be included in the sale!

Make an offer.
rhodyguy
Smart move.
madrider
Hi, I'm new to 914's, and I'm trying to understand the high value in this car?
I'm in the market for a clean, no accident driver, preferably no rust. Based on my conversations and research, rust is a 914 killer, in addition to other wear and and tear issues. This 914 appears to need some rust repair (?) in addition to some other minor repairs.

I understand this 914 is original, but doesn't this also apply to the engine , transmission, and all of the other wear parts?

Thanks for our help, an I look forward to learning more.
914_teener
QUOTE(madrider @ Sep 9 2018, 01:34 PM) *

I'm in the market for a clean, no accident driver, preferably no rust. Based on my conversations and research, rust is a 914 killer, in addition to other wear and and tear issues. This 914 appears to need some rust repair (?) in addition to some other minor repairs.

I understand this 914 is original, but doesn't this also apply to the engine , transmission, and all of the other wear parts?

I have no affiliation with the seller, but I know this:

1. The body of the 914 was not galvanized. So there will always be some rust, and unless the car has had a "body off" restoration, then that "vaule" just alone would be more than 15K. Since that is obviously not the case here, I would look at this as a perfectly intact example of a stock configured 914, late model with all the major stock configurations still there and the value is perfectly justified.

2. If this were a "body off" restoration, the value would be in the 30k range.

My opinion owning a 914 for more than 15 years, so I am not new to them.

GLWS
rhodyguy
It's what you don't have to spend $ and the days, weeks, YEARS all rolled up. It's what your not going to pay buying and shipping parts all over the country. It's what you would (should) expect for a 2 (one long time) owner car that hasn't been flogged.
sixnotfour
What's it worth for well sorted, original D-jet fuel injection?

zero needs a SIX and chrome bumpers...yawn
rhodyguy
Then it's $40k+ invested in a 914 conversion. That would be a no. BIG NO. I like being married to a reasonably happy wife.
mepstein
QUOTE(madrider @ Sep 9 2018, 04:34 PM) *

The selling price of this car is pretty much the low end of cars in this condition.

iwanta914-6
If you are scared of a little rust, then the 914 is not for you. This example is about as "rust free" as an unmolested and original 914 could ever hope to be. If someone ever tells you that their 914 is completely original and the battery tray is flawless, they are probably not telling the whole truth, lol.
KELTY360
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Sep 10 2018, 07:26 AM) *

If you are scared of a little rust, then the 914 is not for you. This example is about as "rust free" as an unmolested and original 914 could ever hope to be. If someone ever tells you that their 914 is completely original and the battery tray is flawless, they are probably not telling the whole truth, lol.

I agree with this completely. I'm not presenting this as a rust free 914 because there is virtually no such thing. In fact, I included a pic of the battery tray with traces of original paint to illustrate the point. Most of these cars don't survive 40+ years with their original trays.

Another area of major $$ savings is the interior, which in this case is in excellent condition. Seats, dash, back pad, carpets, guages are all original and show minimal wear.

In today's collector market, provenance and patina are important and this is another strong point of the car.

I really appreciate the insights, critiques and questions. I am also open to reasonable offers on the price.
rhodyguy
Marc, what was the final number on the sticker?
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 10 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Marc, what was the final number on the sticker?

$ 8685.00 w/o transportation
rhodyguy
That was an expensive car in 75'.
IronHillRestorations
I'd be tempted if it didn't cost so much to get it here. IBH, I'd be buying it to tastefully correct any of the cosmetic deficiencies and re-sell. Cars like this are rare indeed
KELTY360
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 11 2018, 10:12 AM) *

I'd be tempted if it didn't cost so much to get it here. IBH, I'd be buying it to tastefully correct any of the cosmetic deficiencies and re-sell. Cars like this are rare indeed

What number would make it feasible to allow for transport? Let's talk.
914werke
QUOTE(madrider @ Sep 9 2018, 01:34 PM) *

LMK if you get to more than just interested, confused24.gif Im local to the car / seller
and could perform a PPI idea.gif
bye1.gif
seanery
Man, that's a nice car!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 10 2018, 01:57 PM) *

I agree with this completely. I'm not presenting this as a rust free 914 because there is virtually no such thing. In fact, I included a pic of the battery tray with traces of original paint to illustrate the point. Most of these cars don't survive 40+ years with their original trays.

Another area of major $$ savings is the interior, which in this case is in excellent condition. Seats, dash, back pad, carpets, guages are all original and show minimal wear.

In today's collector market, provenance and patina are important and this is another strong point of the car.

I really appreciate the insights, critiques and questions. I am also open to reasonable offers on the price.
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 11 2018, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 17 2018, 08:35 AM) *

Man, that's a nice car!

Beautiful car, GLWTS! this is well worth the price and more! way more!- last week I got with Haggerty to reset my valuation for agreed value etc and they were putting a car like this in the 40,000$ range + for replacement value based on that condition - I was told for mine it should not be insured for less than $30,000 and we came to an agreed value of $35,000 - I would say having done a partial restoration on my car I can tell you what I spent so far and its close to the listing price of this car! if I were looking at a nice original car vs restoring a car, I would go with this for sure- I know there is someone looking hard at this vs an other car and I would say here now t his is the car he should buy for sure - btw my sticker on my '75 with a build date of 09/74 was $7989. so your car at $8500 like kevin said was an expensive 914 for the day, and mine also had appearance group 2.0 with special order color etc.

Anyway this should not be available long if there are serious buyers out there!
KELTY360
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 17 2018, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 10 2018, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 11 2018, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 17 2018, 08:35 AM) *

Man, that's a nice car!

Beautiful car, GLWTS! this is well worth the price and more! way more!- last week I got with Haggerty to reset my valuation for agreed value etc and they were putting a car like this in the 40,000$ range + for replacement value based on that condition - I was told for mine it should not be insured for less than $30,000 and we came to an agreed value of $35,000 - I would say having done a partial restoration on my car I can tell you what I spent so far and its close to the listing price of this car! if I were looking at a nice original car vs restoring a car, I would go with this for sure- I know there is someone looking hard at this vs an other car and I would say here now t his is the car he should buy for sure - btw my sticker on my '75 with a build date of 09/74 was $7989. so your car at $8500 like kevin said was an expensive 914 for the day, and mine also had appearance group 2.0 with special order color etc.

Anyway this should not be available long if there are serious buyers out there!

Thanks for you comments and information. I completely agree that this car represents a special opportunity and I've tried to price it to reflect it's value and be fair to the next person who can decide the course of continued upgrades.
KELTY360
Car is sold. Thanks for all the comments and information.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.