Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 Ignition Tumbler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghia1974
My 71 has what I believe is an issue with the ignition tumbler. When I turn the ignition key to start and release it, the engine shuts down. I have to hold the key in the "run" position to keep it going. As soon as I take the pressure off, it shuts down. I'm assuming its a problem with the tumbler, but I'm a newbie to these cars, so not really sure. I did take the steering wheel apart and removed the tumbler to see what it looked like and if I could purchase a replacement. The aftermarket ignition tumblers look very different from the short barrel assembly I removed. A couple of questions, is it actually the tumbler that causes this problem? Can I purchase an aftermarket correct one for a 71? Is there a way to fix this problem with my existing tumbler? Is there a place where I can buy a used one with a key? Is there a similar tumbler that is available for a VW bug/beetle that fits?
mepstein
I was having problems with my '71. I sent it to Dan - "Tweet" on this site. He fixed it and made me a new key (old one was very worn). Works perfectly now. There is no current replacement made for the '71 tumbler.
914Sixer
You may be able to use parts from a VW Beetle or Type 3. They all used variations of the same switch. Best to find NOS parts though. Aftermarket is a crap shoot.
Cairo94507
Tweet (Dan) is the man when it comes to locks of all types for our cars. He and his wife do excellent work and photo-document all of it for you. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.