Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decided not to post afterall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I made myself a way to get my front trunk to open in the face of catastrophe today and took pix to document it. But then decided I didn’t really want that cat out of the bag with a lot of photos about opening my car at night. So instead, decided to caution folks ahead of trips they may be taking.

Down below it says I have a TR6, and a common woe for those Is a broken hood latch, so I have a safety wire. Many do.
Faced with 5000 miles of travel in the 914 with my wife in June, my big worry was a failure of the front trunk release cable. Especially since her stuff and the tool bag were up front. The manual tells how you can get around such a failure by removing part of the front end. Ughhh. As it happened , only the back trunk failed with my stuff in it, so that was OK.

I was worrried because after replacing ALL of the rubber seals, that front trunk closed kinda hard and proud. She had to push down on the trunk above the latch while I pulled the handle to get things opened on hot days.

Anyways there are simple precautions you can take, as with the TR 6 hood release, and if you hit the road, I suggest you give them some thought. Basically you run an extra cable to the site of your choice.
76-914
Warren, Went thru that a few months ago with the '70 914. Did the same as you and it now has a trip wire. But that ain't why I'm posting this. What I discovered was the wire passed straight thru the eyelet and depended solely upon the snugness of the retaining screw. I strongly recommend that 1st, one should adjust the cable to the proper length; 2, tighten the retaining hex bolt to hold in place; then bend the wire at a sharp angle so that if and when the screw looses it's hold on the wire the bend will keep it from pulling thru. beerchug.gif
r_towle
I’m glad you decided not to post this
Larmo63
I'll bet I can find it. rolleyes.gif
burton73
I just read it and I cannot find it.

Bob B
rgalla9146
Where will you be vacationing next ? biggrin.gif
worn
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 21 2018, 05:58 AM) *

Where will you be vacationing next ? biggrin.gif

At Larmo's. My car looks exactly like his. laugh.gif

Yeah, some 911s have it as stock. One thing I did, which isn't a give away was to loop the emergency pull around the barrel bolt instead of using the tightening screw that holds the normal pull. that way if the failure is a loose clamping screw, it still works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.