Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio Face Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Samoroso72
I am working on finishing up my 1972 914 and have a question about the face plate surround on the radio. My vinyl dash basketweave material is peeling and will be replaced. I have the original Blaupunkt radio, but it appears that it has a plastic face plate with a basketweave pattern and is then covered with vinyl material. I don’t think it is supposed to be like this. Any advise on the original installation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
914Sixer
Sounds like an aftermarket faceplate.. Need some pictures of what you have to figure out what to do.
Samoroso72
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 21 2018, 06:03 AM) *

Sounds like an aftermarket faceplate.. Need some pictures of what you have to figure out what to do.

Thanks for the reply. It’s at the shop now, will get a picture this week. I did a little more looking. Should it be a metal backer plate with vinyl covering? I have the vinyl, does anyone have the radio plate for sale?
914Sixer
We will need a picture of the radio. Lots of face plate options. Different hole sizes and configuration. Blaupunkt, Becker and Motorola Sapphire all mount differently too.
Samoroso72
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 22 2018, 06:35 AM) *

We will need a picture of the radio. Lots of face plate options. Different hole sizes and configuration. Blaupunkt, Becker and Motorola Sapphire all mount differently too.

Here is a picture of the installed radio.
914Sixer
Ok, from the description, it sounds like someone took a plastic Motorola Sapphire face plate and cut it up to mount the Blaupunkt radio. What you need to do is just pick up the proper mounting plate. You need the early covered plate for a Blaupunkit. You do NOT need the one with the large hole. Adding pictures of stock Sapphire and a stock Blaupunkt mount. Please note that the metal one is NOT correct one because of the large holes and is used for reference only. Automobile Atlanta and Sierra Madre both have mounting plate. Don't think 914 Rubber makes one of these.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.