Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone tow a trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThreeTwo
First of all hi... Owned our 914 for around 2.5 years and loving life!!

Living in the UK we have recently been on two Euro trips - each was around 1000 miles. The car was faultless and drives really well.

The engine was rebuilt last year and the gearbox also had a major make over at the same time so mechanically it's strong

We would like to tow a small tear drop caravan or perhaps a small trailer in the future and we're wondering if anyone on here has experience of towing?...

Can anyone help with a tow bar solution please?

thanks
Mike Bellis
I welded in a hidden 2" hitch behind my license plate. It is extremely reinforced and tied to my roll cage and drivetrain mounting points.

Not sure what the final tongue rating is or how much I can tow. I do have 325hp to pull it though.
mepstein
I wouldn't do it. If you know how thin the sheetmetal is on our cars you would would realize how easy it is to bend. The guys who tow a small trailer have all modified the car in some way.
914forme
I towed a small tire trailer, weighted about 300 pounds with the tires / wheels. jacks, support tools, refreshments for the auto-x.

I would not tow a teardrop, just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

In my EG33 build below you can see al the work I did to get a 2" hitch into my car. I spent way to much time building a hitch, customizing a bumper, etc....

bulitt
Good thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=89709&hl=
Coastal6
I wouldn’t try it.
The car is very light and there is nothing strong enough at the rear of the car to attach a hitch.
Tom_T
Paul,

In the UK you can easily lay hands on a lightweight Eriba Puck, which was made for T1 Beetles, Buses, etc., & there have been a few who've towed them with 356, 911/912 & 914s as well.

At this point in time you'd need to find someone there familiar with the 914's unibody & have a custom made hitch built for your 914.

I'd try to stick with a vintage 1960's - 70's Puck or Fawn in the 500-800 lbs. (US) range. Look them up with a Google & see what the old ones were. An added advantage to getting a classic trailer to match your classic 914, is that you can take it to Vintage Caravan Rallies & events there & on the Continent.

Here's some inspiration -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Good Luck!

Cheers Mate!
Tom
////////
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jul 21 2018, 05:02 PM) *

mine is much like Gerald's orange car, except my 2" tube connects to the transmission brace which is now part of the cage. I also reinforced the rear sheet steel under the bumper so that I could attach two structural tow hooks. I used a Chevy Nova flip down license plate holder.
Mark Henry
One of my donor cars the old chap used to tow a sunfish sailboat (dingy), the hull weight is 120lbs so maybe 300 lbs total.
Small is OK, a set of tires etc. but I wouldn't want much more.

Then there was my dad who a weekend at a time moved the materials for a whole cottage/house up on a trailer behind a VW bug. His biggest sized load was a fully built spiral staircase.
Larmo63
If it won't fit on the ski racks, front seat, or in one of the trunks, it ain't coming along with me.

That includes the wife. (No pee stops, no Starbucks and/or food stops.)

Brilliant.
worn
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 22 2018, 03:19 PM) *

If it won't fit on the ski racks, front seat, or in one of the trunks, it ain't coming along with me.

Brilliant.

If a bit, well, harsh.
burton73
I used my 1972 VW Super Beatle to tow my motorcycle trailers with 3 big dirt bike all over the deserts of So Cal. with my friends back when everything was new. A little slow but never a problem.

Bob B
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 22 2018, 07:36 PM) *

I used my 1972 VW Super Beatle to tow my motorcycle trailers with 3 big dirt bike all over the deserts of So Cal. with my friends back when everything was new. A little slow but never a problem.

Bob B

Do you think the beatle might be different since it is not a unibody?
Larmo63
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 22 2018, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 22 2018, 03:19 PM) *

Brilliant.

If a bit, well, harsh.

My 914-6 conversion scares the hell out of her. She drives a Cadillac Escalade, so I understand.

She does like the new/old Karmann Ghia I just acquired, but the Porsche is too low for her.

We give each other space too do some things on our own.
mgp4591
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2018, 06:38 PM) *

Bob B

Which one - Paul or Ringo? blink.gif
I'd like to see how the hitch hooks up to a Beetle because even though it has a pan/running chassis type config, the engine is still in the back and I'd think that would interfere with making a good connection with a hitch but apparently those pictures are showing it can be done. For us with water cooled conversions, we're using a cradle of some sort. My idea involves having a hitch attachment to that since it propels the whole vehicle. If it's done right like Mike's, it shouldn't be a big deal. With the stock config, I don't know if what the towing capacity would come in at safely... idea.gif
ThreeTwo
Really appreciate your comments and your experiences..

I'm looking at lightweight trailer options...man some look really cool

Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2018, 08:38 PM) *

Bob B

My '67 bus is unibody wink.gif
Technically it is a 3/4 ton, but the 914 is pushing its towing limit. I think my bus is only about 400 lbs heavier than the 914. A little over 2500 lbs

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.