Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insurance Poll for Bone Stock -4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
Had to up mine with a small premium increase. I have insurance with AAA and had the car insured $12000. My car I rated average....a 10 footer. It is mostly stock and has minimal rust. On the Haggerty scale an "average" scale #3 which is about right. However looking at recent sales I thought between $18k and 20K. This is for a nice stock car no alterations. They underwrote it for 20k. I was wondering about others, for a stock -4
914_teener
Obviously I've never done a poll question before.
Cairo94507
I would say that $15-20K is in the ball park.
mepstein
I don't recall what car you own. I'n my mind, looking at what's currently for sale in the classifieds and depending on the year and engine, you have a $8-10K car, +/-. You have to remember with a site like Haggerty, they are only using sales reported from specific places, like auctions, dealers, ect. They don't get most of the private sales that occur in the real world. Take me for example. They would have no way to get info on many of the cars I have purchased because most of my cars have not been registered yet in my name or will be cut up. The ones that have were purchased for $500 but they only have that info if they obtain it from the Pennsylvania DMV.
So if the valuation works in your favor - great. But it's only one data point and not always relevant to a sale price.
dakotaewing
I know this has been said before, but....

Make sure that you have an agreed value policy.

A stated value policy will allow the carrier to determine the value,
and pay you no more than the stated amount.

And the stated amount is rarely ever paid -

You get sheeplove.gif

In those circumstances the value is determined typically by a 3rd party company
(Mitchell) that has no real knowledge of our cars, by a guy name Jose in Mexico City.

(No Joke)

TE

914_teener
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jul 21 2018, 02:07 PM) *

I know this has been said before, but....

Make sure that you have an agreed value policy.

A stated value policy will allow the carrier to determine the value,
and pay you no more than the stated amount.

And the stated amount is rarely ever paid -

You get sheeplove.gif

In those circumstances the value is determined typically by a 3rd party company
(Mitchell) that has no real knowledge of our cars, by a guy name Jose in Mexico City.

(No Joke)

TE

It is an agreed value policy.....made sure of that.... and good point.

They did two appraisals on it. I just wrote the check to renew the policy yesterday and was wondering.

914_teener
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 21 2018, 02:04 PM) *

I don't recall what car you own. I'n my mind, looking at what's currently for sale in the classifieds and depending on the year and engine, you have a $8-10K car, +/-. You have to remember with a site like Haggerty, they are only using sales reported from specific places, like auctions, dealers, ect. They don't get most of the private sales that occur in the real world. Take me for example. They would have no way to get info on many of the cars I have purchased because most of my cars have not been registered yet in my name or will be cut up. The ones that have were purchased for $500 but they only have that info if they obtain it from the Pennsylvania DMV.
So if the valuation works in your favor - great. But it's only one data point and not always relevant to a sale price.

I might agree, my first thoughts were that if I put it up on here....I'd ask $13K or so. I had to factor in all I have done to it plus appreciation. But since we are mostly gearheads here I figured $15k right now when I did research on the current market. So with appreciation maybe $20k. They agreed.
914_teener
Oh yea.....this isn't a "feeler" . My car is not for sale.

I was just wondering about what other policies amounted to, agreed value ect.
mepstein
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 21 2018, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 21 2018, 02:04 PM) *

I might agree, my first thoughts were that if I put it up on here....I'd ask $13K or so. I had to factor in all I have done to it plus appreciation. But since we are mostly gearheads here I figured $15k right now when I did research on the current market. So with appreciation maybe $20k. They agreed.

Agreed. And I realize my opinion of price doesn’t mean squat to anyone but me. If your comfortable with the payment, it’s always good to be valued as high as possible. My wife just got her car damaged when someone backed into the side of her car while it was parked in the lot in front of her health center. It’s a private school and pretty much closed for the summer but someone decided to use it as a turn around. Hit and run but a school employee saw it and got the woman’s lisence plate. Our head of security is great friends with the state police. They ran her plates and showed up at her door. She denied it to the insurance company until our security asked if they wanted to see the recorded video. Then she remembered the incident. You never know what and when things will happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.