Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gearbox Ground strap after trunk floor replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
I've replaced the rear trunk floor and I'm not sure the best way to add in the bolt for the gearbox ground strap. What did you do to replace it?

Thanks.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(defianty @ Jul 22 2018, 11:04 PM) *

I've replaced the rear trunk floor and I'm not sure the best way to add in the bolt for the gearbox ground strap. What did you do to replace it?

Thanks.

Bolted it to the drivers side transmission mount....clean it to bare metal first...
76-914
I drilled a hole in the same spot and welded in a carriage bolt from inside the truck. beerchug.gif
defianty
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 23 2018, 04:51 PM) *

I drilled a hole in the same spot and welded in a carriage bolt from inside the truck. beerchug.gif

Thanks, I think that's the obvious solution.
r_towle
You can also weld a nut from below and use a bolt now.
TravisNeff
How about this

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/M8RS
defianty
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 24 2018, 04:40 AM) *

Thanks Travis, if I'd have know about that when I ordered the replacement floor from RD I'd have picked one up. I actually got a friend to turn a nut down for me to match the original it was installing it I was concerned about and also loosing the copper washer on the underside.
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ Jul 24 2018, 02:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 24 2018, 04:40 AM) *

Thanks Travis, if I'd have know about that when I ordered the replacement floor from RD I'd have picked one up. I actually got a friend to turn a nut down for me to match the original it was installing it I was concerned about and also loosing the copper washer on the underside.

Should be easy enough to braze a nw copper washer in if you can get your hands on a torch.
defianty
Thanks Brent, that's a good idea and I have actually got a torch so I guess it's off to YouTube to learn how to braze. Thanks.
Maltese Falcon
Just get a good clean anchor point for the fastener and drill/ fasten it , braze (copper) or Tig/ mig stainless steel fastener. I use 8x1.25mm SS fasteners here and there (welded) on this custom build...Click to view attachment
porschetub
Didn't use the braided cable,just used small welder cable with sealed swaged end ,I plan on putting in a secondary one also.
DaveO90s4
I don't understand why Porsche put the ground strap on the gearbox. Wouldn't it be better to run a strap from some convenient engine bolt / nut to the -ve battery terminal? (That's what I've done on my /6 conversion)
wndsrfr
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jul 24 2018, 10:11 PM) *

I don't understand why Porsche put the ground strap on the gearbox. Wouldn't it be better to run a strap from some convenient engine bolt / nut to the -ve battery terminal? (That's what I've done on my /6 conversion)

Likely because the starter mounts on the gearbox.....????
mepstein
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jul 25 2018, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jul 24 2018, 10:11 PM) *

Likely because the starter mounts on the gearbox.....????

That’s what I was thinking. Shortest distance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.