Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914-6 voltage regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
Guys

I will probably need a voltage regulator soon as my volt gauge readings are creeping up.
I am looking at the ones available on Pelican,for one,and I am confused by the price differences for ,seemingly,the one part.
one price is about $35 and the other is about $230 but for different brands
am I missing something here ?
the Porsche part is 901 603 206 02 and the Bosch number is 0 190 600 010 (?)

TIA
Dennis smile.gif
914Sixer
Good question. Most of the $30 are chips. Some people have had good luck in two areas. One they are work well and are cheap. The other end is they don't fit well and die quickly. The fact that your old mechanical one is just now going south is an indication of the durability. I would replace it with a Bosch one. NOS Bosch can still be had.

One on Ebay for $45+shipping. Ebay # 173412470562
GeorgeRud
The original ones can be adjusted to correct the voltage if you can find an old school shop that has the test equipment. We had one in Chicago run by an old German fellow, and though he did sell me a new one, he insisted in checking and adjusting my old one to keep as a spare. I think he was proud of the old German engineering.

I’d try to get a new Bosch one, but don’t toss the old one and keep it as a spare. It’s an easy 5 minute swap if you ever have issues.
Racer
As mentioned, the "new" ones are not as good as the original ones. Just curious, how is the rest of your electrical system? Maybe what you are seeing is actually another issue at play?
gulf908
thx for the replys
Dave - the rest of the electrical system seems to be working ok
the alternator was renovated about 11,000 km ago so I don't think its that
all I'm going on is a recent increase in the voltmeter readings

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
Racer
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Jul 23 2018, 08:33 PM) *

thx for the replys
Dave - the rest of the electrical system seems to be working ok
the alternator was renovated about 11,000 km ago so I don't think its that
all I'm going on is a recent increase in the voltmeter readings

cheers
Dennis smile.gif

Not an answer, but curious.. I was having electrical issues.. traced back to the alternator. Turns out it was 1970 original. 48 years before it gave issues. My understanding is that newer alternators have a built in voltage regulator. That's why I wondered which alternator you still have in yours.

How is your battery?
Is the volt gauge working properly?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would buy a good used Bosch regulator, they are the same as the four cylinder ones. The new Bosch are shorter and of course do not look original.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 23 2018, 10:35 AM) *

The original ones can be adjusted to correct the voltage if you can find an old school shop that has the test equipment. We had one in Chicago run by an old German fellow, and though he did sell me a new one, he insisted in checking and adjusting my old one to keep as a spare. I think he was proud of the old German engineering.

I’d try to get a new Bosch one, but don’t toss the old one and keep it as a spare. It’s an easy 5 minute swap if you ever have issues.

My guy prefers the old mechanical points type, told me to use that one and keep the electronic as the spare. He said the old style work better and are more reliable.

Some guys over on the bird have had issues with the internally regulated alts and prefer external regulators. They believe the heat cooks the internal regulator.
porschetub
The Hella Chinese one caused me concern,think it will be an in car spare,not a great fit to start with,got one of Marks nos genuine units and feel better off,worth the coin which wasn't much really.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.