Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just ordered an Accusump....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
The T-4 motor in my 356 has decent head temps
but the oil temp gets high after about 20 minutes.

I am running a stock oil cooler and electric fans w/o a crank run
fan....custom sheet metal due to a T-4 never being designed for a 356 tail
dragger.

So.....I ordered a sandwich plate, diverter, Mocal oil cooler, a $hitpot of
braided lines, and an Accusump.

For those not familiar with an Accusump, it is a 3 quart capacity pre oiler
system. You hit a switch prior to engine ignition and it pressurizes the
oil system up to optimum operating parameters. THEN you fire the motor up.

It adds three extra quarts of oil, allows the engine to start with full oil
pressure and helps with extra cooling.

It also has a check valve that pressurizes ONLY the engine side. Then the
thermostat opens at temp and allows warm oil to the cooler......
rhodyguy
mike, what's the ball park damage for a setup like that? i'm starting to plan a year out for my spare 2.0. there goes another poop pot of money. with our more moderate temps in western wa, i wonder if there could be an issue with NOT achieving proper operating temps.

kevin
Joe Bob
Low temps promote wear and sludge....

700 bucks for everything.....
rhodyguy
let's see, 7 for the acusump or some light pauter rods and a start on the heads? i will go with a 2056 when the time comes. desissions desissions
Joe Bob
700 was for everything.....the oil lines, fittings, cooler, sandwich plate, sump and connectors......the accusump was like $175 alone.
ChrisReale
What size oil cooler did you get? Where dod you get it from?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Jul 13 2003, 10:42 AM)
What size oil cooler did you get? Where dod you get it from?

19 row cooler, got it from BAT Inc. in Florida.

They specialize in oil coolers and oiling systems only. Most importantly they have ALL the fittings, adapters and lines in stock. Three cooler orders, everything came in right and nothing back ordered.

The prices are right, they give me a jobber price and no sales tax.

http://www.batinc.net/
brant
Very cool,

I ran an accusump for 8+ years.
a few tricks:

make sure you disassemble them once or twice a year for cleaning. They tend to leak oil through the o-ring (lube it) and into the pressure chamber. Also there will be some sludge/junk build up in the oil chamber.

A lot (most) of people have moved over to oil accumulation systems for cornering oil and believe the accusumps are too much volume for a T-IV. (I hear the hotrod crowd loves them for V-8s). I never had trouble though.

Oh... on a T-IV you might find valve gaskets to be a problem if your pre-oiling the motor or dumping 3 quarts before start up. Every single time I killed the motor with the valve open (such as a spin off the track, or stupidly forgetting to close the valve in the pits).. I found that the extra oil would immediately blow a gasket and I would have to pull the cover to fix the leak.

Really though, I made it work fine and do believe that they benefit a track motor as well as help with cornering starvation.

brant
Joe Bob
Can't you wire the switch to the hot side of the ignition? A two second pause should be enough on the strating sequence....when the igntion is off the valve is closed....
rhodyguy
brant, that is exactly the type of information one needs before moving forward with a plan. take it apart twice a year? no thank you. but THANK YOU for the insight. very timely.

kevin
" i dig, my bitchin car"
Joe Bob
Doesn't sound hard......do it when you change the oil.
Joe Bob
BTW....this what it looks like.
redshift
QUOTE(mikez @ Jul 13 2003, 11:05 AM)
Can't you wire the switch to the hot side of the ignition? A two second pause should be enough on the strating sequence....when the igntion is off the valve is closed....

I think that would be fairly simple to make a switch (dpdt) with a cap to the coil, and a thru to the sump that would do it Mike.

It would be more fun to have an aviation type plac that has the ignition sequence in German, with a lightning bolt, and an 'Achtung!', I always wanted an FW-190.

M
seanery
Is that similar to the Morosso Accumulator?
IPB Image
Some Facts
The Moroso Accumulator is an engine saving add-on to any high performance oiling system. It is designed to provide oil pressure should the normal engine oil pressure drop below the optimum operating level during hard acceleration, severe cornering or hard braking or when oil surges away from the oil pump pickup. Capacity is 1.5 qrt., and is a vertical, gravity fed unit designed for small-displacement light-duty applications and includes mounting brackets.

Oil pressure keeper (Add to Cart) $80.00
rhodyguy
ok. we're up to $800 with shipping now. what's the next tidbit?

kevin
redshift
So, 3qt vs 1.5qt.

What is the volume of oil spewed by a factory pump?

-goes looking-

M
brant
sorry for my slow reply... no computer.
Seanery... yes very similar.
the moroso is the one that most people have updated to, with the belief that 1.5qts is more type four frendly than 3.0

brant
Joe Bob
A 3.0 qt. capacity would be more to MY liking. More oil, more lubrication, more bettah......

I know a lot of people with the Accusump....never heard heard of a puking problem. The start up pressures do not exceed the operating pressures....so there should not be any oil leakage thru the gaskets.....
brant
I always assumed it was too much oil at start up...
4qts factory plus 3 qts accusump = 7 qts... quite a bit of oil in the crank case causing lots of drag....

while running this would not be a problem as the accusump would retain its 3qts.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.