Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! With 2.0 Air Pump Rescource
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flypfi
Unfortunately I own a 76 914 2.0 in California. I need to find a source for an air pump and check valve. I have only been able to find used/serviceable pumps and they last about a month +/- before they seize. The check valve is completely rusted through and it won't pass smog in its condition.

Does anyone have a contact that might have a serviceable pump and check valve or know where to have them overhauled?

Thanks! I'm desperate because I can't register my car again without it!
jcd914
The check valve looks like many used on other cars.
I might be possible to measure the thread diameter & pitch and the hose fitting diameter and find a matching check valve based on the measurements. The valve does not do anything different on the 914 than any other car.

I have a couple of air pumps, one is very low use but I don't know what they are from.
If you have the original with the part number on it I could compare to what I have.

Also Bruce is an excellent source for used parts as well as the classified section here, put a WTB ad and ask if anyone has one.

The state smog program used to have a listing of sources for smog parts.
They even exempted some cars from having some parts if their sources did not have parts available.
I don't know if they do any of that anymore.

Jim
sithot
Does it have to actually function or does it need to be there for visual inspection?
If the latter, piece of cake!
jcd914
It is supposed to function but every smog tech does their inspection a little different, so who knows if a system that only looked like it worked would get by or not.

Jim
dr914@autoatlanta.com
call parts heaven

QUOTE(flypfi @ Jul 25 2018, 02:21 PM) *

Unfortunately I own a 76 914 2.0 in California. I need to find a source for an air pump and check valve. I have only been able to find used/serviceable pumps and they last about a month +/- before they seize. The check valve is completely rusted through and it won't pass smog in its condition.

Does anyone have a contact that might have a serviceable pump and check valve or know where to have them overhauled?

Thanks! I'm desperate because I can't register my car again without it!

flypfi
I was able to silver solder the case on the check valve and it actually looks perfect, but the internal flap is wide open. My theory is it is allowing exhaust gases into the pump and causing it to seize.
Rand
Sorry you are having to deal with this. I'm lucky that I was able to toss that piece of shit into the dumpster. What year does it finally happen when CA lets this go?
Rand
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 25 2018, 01:56 PM) *

It is supposed to function but every smog tech does their inspection a little different, so who knows if a system that only looked like it worked would get by or not.

Jim

Only Rob's techs would even know what to look for on a 914. How many smog techs have a "clue" what a smog pump is? Or do they have some master workbook I'm not aware of? LOL. It's about emissions. A well-tuned 914 shouldn't have any trouble passing. Pass the gas, good to go.
flypfi
Ironically, the cutoff is 75. It's an identical engine to the 76. We aren't allowed to add a cat to the exhaust, which would lower emissions and solve all the problems, but noooo, that is considered a "modification" and it's a crime to do so. Idiotic bureaucrats.
76-914
I think the CA 76 models did have catalytic converters. Mine didn't have one and it was a fairly unmolested WA delivered car 2 owner when I bought it. I think the CA model also had another short speedo cable that ran to a cat convertor counter in possibly past foot rest?? DD will be along shortly and set me straight. biggrin.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 25 2018, 08:51 PM) *

I think the CA 76 models did have catalytic converters. Mine didn't have one and it was a fairly unmolested WA delivered car 2 owner when I bought it. I think the CA model also had another short speedo cable that ran to a cat convertor counter in possibly past foot rest?? DD will be along shortly and set me straight. biggrin.gif

Correct on both points.
sithot
Decal mounted on the dash of the Akin/Stuck/Bell FABCAR (Dave Klym) 935:

"To Hell With How They Do It In California"

dcheek
And New Jersey gets a bad rap.........

Register the car as an antique.
Pay $42.00 for 4 year registration.
Renew every 4 years for $0,00.
No inspection.

Dave.
sithot
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jul 26 2018, 08:00 AM) *

No inspection.

Dave.

In Virginia that's what I do to every vehicle I have that's 25 years old. 1 time fee and done.
mepstein
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jul 26 2018, 08:00 AM) *

No inspection.

Dave.

PA - register the car as an antique
Pay $75 for a lifetime registration.
No renewal needed.
No inspection. No emissions.

My son just moved to NC and told me he has to pay property tax on his car each year. That sucks.
jcd914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 25 2018, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 25 2018, 01:56 PM) *

Jim

Only Rob's techs would even know what to look for on a 914. How many smog techs have a "clue" what a smog pump is? Or do they have some master workbook I'm not aware of? LOL. It's about emissions. A well-tuned 914 shouldn't have any trouble passing. Pass the gas, good to go.

Each shop is required to have an approved emissions guide that lists what should be on the car.
Each technician is required to take training classes and pass certification tests.
Each technician is also required to take periodical update or continuing education training classes.

They all will know what a smog pump is and what different types look like.
They might not know 914s but they will be able to tell if a 914 has a pump or not.

The car has to pass a visual inspection before they even check the emissions.

Jim
flypfi
So in my case, the car was not originally a CA car, so in 1976 there were no cats installed on the 49 state cars... only CA. The law here says that even though the CA cars had cats, you can't add one to a 49 state car because it becomes a "modification", which is not legal. So as a result, I have to meet the same standards as a cat equipped car, but without a cat. It makes it very challenging and expensive to say the least. Last registration it cost me over $1500 in parts and labor to get it through. Now I'm faced with the same dilemma for my renewal. The engine is brand new... less than 1000 miles which is probably the only reason why I can eventually get it passed after throwing ridiculous amounts of money at it. The guy who got it passed is a highly respected and well known Porsche 914 expert with decades of experience on these cars. Anyone want to buy an awesome, all original 914? :-)
flypfi
Parts Heaven had what I needed. Thanks Dr. George... Another $300 in the trash!
burton73
When the pump freezes the rubber part on the pulley crank shaft connection breaks. Then you need one of these. I bought a couple of them a few years ago. It is has been up on eBay for the last few weeks.

I had bought a rebuilt pump unit on EBay several years ago. It was a hundred or so. I sold it to someone on here a few months ago.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
Looks like they are $225. As rebuilt units. I would put it on your car, pass smog and then remove the belt till you need to pass smog. The car will not pass visual without the belt turning whether or not the car is clean enough. I know it happened to me on my 76 now in Belgium

www.ebay.com/b/Smog-Air-Pumps-for-Porsche-914/33610/bn_1474888

Bob B
Dave_Darling
Make sure you fog some oil or WD-40 into the pump, and periodically spin it. Otherwise it will seize.

Sorry you have to deal with that. It's pretty crappy, but evidently the line has to be drawn somewhere.

There was supposed to be a rolling exemption, but it was frozen at 73 for a few years, then bumped to 75 and older and has not moved in the many years since.

Note that the exemption is from testing only, and that theoretically all of the older cars are still supposed to meet all of the standards, have all of the parts, and so forth. Probably done that way so that they can change their minds back later, and say "What--you were supposed to have the equipment all along, this isn't a change!"

--DD
flypfi
I spoke with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair and the guy told me they are holding it at 1975 because the feds threatened to pull millions of funding from the state if they change the date. Stooopid
burton73
QUOTE(flypfi @ Jul 26 2018, 06:01 PM) *

I spoke with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair and the guy told me they are holding it at 1975 because the feds threatened to pull millions of funding from the state if they change the date. Stooopid

So 76 CA owners are screwed! If you want a reg you need to fix it or get a Smog shop guy to fix you up every 2 years. $150 or so. What to do?

Bob B
flypfi
Uh... add a zero to that 150 !!
Dave_Darling
What you do is you either keep all the stuff on it and pray that it doesn't break, or you sell the car out of state and buy an earlier one. Or you know someone who can make sure that it passes, wink wink nudge nudge.

Of the options, selling it and getting an earlier car is the most straightforward and easiest.

--DD
burton73
QUOTE(flypfi @ Jul 28 2018, 10:21 AM) *

Uh... add a zero to that 150 !!

No, in Los Angeles there are guys that have smog shops that will get you passed so you can reg your car. I not saying that it is legitimate smog shop but you can get your registration on and get your stickers from the DMV with there paperwork.

As Dave says Or you know someone who can make sure that it passes, wink wink nudge nudge. $150
oakdalecurtis
Not sure what the big deal is. For the last twenty years, I take my 76 in every two years for smog. Fifteen minutes later it passes easily. Then I go drive the bejeebers out of it for another two years. cheer.gif
flypfi
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 28 2018, 07:47 PM) *

Not sure what the big deal is. For the last twenty years, I take my 76 in every two years for smog. Fifteen minutes later it passes easily. Then I go drive the bejeebers out of it for another two years. cheer.gif

You must have a cat on your car then?
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(flypfi @ Jul 28 2018, 09:45 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 28 2018, 07:47 PM) *

You must have a cat on your car then?

Yep
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.