Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: high velocity air intake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
Do you guys recommend a replacement air intake for the 1.7L ? I am not looking for higher HP but a more efficiency in what could be a higher mileage motor
mepstein
Everything I have read and heard says an aftermarket intake makes no difference at all. Exhaust has some effect.
Mark Henry
Exhaust can have a lot of effect, but not a huge gain on a stock 1.7
The proper header exhaust is the only true bolt on power.

I use K&N but only because it's the simplest solution for carbs on my /6 and the ITB's on my bug.
For the stock 914 nothing beats the stock set-up.
milwlandrover
Great, that will save me money.

cheers!
Rand
You could always add one of those magic vortex swirler gadgets. poke.gif

K&N has nifty selling kiosks that show how much more air flow they give. But think about it... bigger pores equal more junk getting through. Protect your engine. If you are on a build one race one model, then throw the air cleaners away. If you want your engine to last, give it some decent filtering.
milwlandrover
Great advice
rhodyguy
The filters become a regular maintance chore with the cleaning and oiling. The filters should be pinkish in color. When they darken, it's time for some house cleaning. The 'special' K&N oil is NOT given away. Waiting for the filters to dry before oiling, which you need to do, can be an all day affair.
worn
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Jul 27 2018, 08:12 AM) *

Do you guys recommend a replacement air intake for the 1.7L ? I am not looking for higher HP but a more efficiency in what could be a higher mileage motor

I replaced the stock with one simply so I could work on the fuel injection hoses and wires and see what I was doing. I worry about the big pores.
TheCabinetmaker
Save your engine. Use the factory filter set up.
JamesM
What year is your 1.7?

Not sure if its an efficiency improvement but I always like to replace the pre 73 oil bath filters with the 73 paper element housing/filter. If anything it saves you a few pounds not to mention the mess.

Finding the elements can be a bit of a chore though
yellowporky
Auto Atlanta has a repro 1.7 filter and parts heaven in hayward ca. had some nos ones left a year ago.
Maltese Falcon
I designed this twin high-flow cone for our T4 2L club racer (filter mods + upgrades allowable) and bettered our lap times by about 3/10ths sec. Helped us win the class ! Wouldn't use this style if living in a rainy or dirt road area
Click to view attachment
BillC
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Jul 29 2018, 06:16 PM) *

Auto Atlanta has a repro 1.7 filter and parts heaven in hayward ca. had some nos ones left a year ago.

Unless AA has recently changed, the filters AA sells are NOT correct -- AA sells a NAPA filter that has the same OD as a stock filter, but is not quite as tall and the ID is much bigger than stock. However, the filters can be used with a simple adapter (see here for the adapter I made for my car).
r_towle
oil bath filter FTW
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.