Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok, I definitely smell gas...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Pulled the 914 out to wash it, and thought I caught a whiff of raw fuel—but it's an old car and carbureted too. So I let it idle as I rinsed the car, having just started it.

I tend to forget I'm smell deaf, as my better half will confirm. So when I smelled it again, I looked down only to see gas in the water on the driveway. Yep, shut it off immediately. Both carbs leaking gas at their bases. They were resealed a few years ago, and I use Sta-Bil. Ah, you gotta love old cars...
colingreene
hope its a quick and easy fix for you.
iankarr
Check to make sure the casting plug(s) still sealed. The leak could be coming from there.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
probably sticking floats, typical when a carb car sits, Good to store with a dehumidifier running, Pete. I have two running down where I store my five 356 models and have never had a problem starting these carb cars after sitting for a long time, even the gas (although I have stabilizer in it) does not turn

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 27 2018, 09:33 AM) *

Pulled the 914 out to wash it, and thought I caught a whiff of raw fuel—but it's an old car and carbureted too. So I let it idle as I rinsed the car, having just started it.

I tend to forget I'm smell deaf, as my better half will confirm. So when I smelled it again, I looked down only to see gas in the water on the driveway. Yep, shut it off immediately. Both carbs leaking gas at their bases. They were resealed a few years ago, and I use Sta-Bil. Ah, you gotta love old cars...
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
^ Sticking floats are my thought, as well, since both started leaking the moment it was started after another extended sit.

Nice collection!! You know, I have a dehumidifier doing nothing right now. Maybe it's time to employ it in the new garage.

Need to drive my 914 more often...but it tends to sit sideways in the back of a garage and midlife responsibilities have intervened. This was a big part of why I wanted to get the car painted and the engine in before our daughter arrived. Little did I know we'd buy a house, start a business, and start caring for my parents a few years later...
injunmort
also, check the rubber lines, this shit they call gas rots the rubber. mine leaked so bad at the t junction, it rotted the motor mount.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
good point especially that ethanol gasoline, it wrecks havoc on soft carb parts

QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 27 2018, 03:21 PM) *

also, check the rubber lines, this shit they call gas rots the rubber. mine leaked so bad at the t junction, it rotted the motor mount.
Larmo63
I hate adult responsibilities.

I try to act like a teenager as often as possible.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 28 2018, 10:58 AM) *

Not like most on here don't know that av-943.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ,in fact me too ,no one has guessed my age and I can get grumpy.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 27 2018, 03:58 PM) *

Sage advice is hidden in here, somewhere... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.