Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear View Mirror Adhesive Pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I haven't seen any black ones. Just off white ones. WTF.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
makes no difference, when you peel off the covering the black sticky is under it

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 27 2018, 03:14 PM) *

I haven't seen any black ones. Just off white ones. WTF.gif

Minerva's 914
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Rear-...-77-p27209.html

Get this one, OEM
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have at least 20 of the correct factory ones on the shelf
saigon71
Rearview mirror fell off in my hand today. dry.gif I just ordered the rearview mirror pad from Sierra Madre.

Question - is this pad alone enough to keep the mirror attached or do I need to pick up some rearview mirror adhesive as well?

Thanks.
carking1996
I too have this question
worn
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Aug 22 2018, 02:40 PM) *

Rearview mirror fell off in my hand today. dry.gif I just ordered the rearview mirror pad from Sierra Madre.

Question - is this pad alone enough to keep the mirror attached or do I need to pick up some rearview mirror adhesive as well?

Thanks.

If you read George’s book he points out that a bit of silicone sealant around the edges keeps air from coming betwixt pad and windshield.
DdHavtech
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 22 2018, 04:16 PM) *

Rearview mirror fell off in my hand today. <_< I just ordered the rearview mirror pad from Sierra Madre.

Thanks.

If you read George’s book he points out that a bit of silicone sealant around the edges keeps air from coming betwixt pad and windshield.

My problem is the mirror base does not stick to the sticky pads. Anybody else have this issue?
Mikey914
I've used windshield mirror epoxy. Any glass shop has premixed little epoxy cups made specifically for this application. Get it right the 1st time, but sets up fast and will hold. They run about $3.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes have seen it all of the time, especially if one at one time glued the mirror directly to the windshield. The pad also helps dampen vibration so certainly use it. You may have to scrape the base clean of the shiny glue. The base is not shiny what so ever so if yours is, it has mirror glue on it. Also lacquer thinner will help clean the base followed by soap and water to get the residue off. THEN the patch will stick well and you will be on your way

QUOTE(DdHavtech @ Aug 23 2018, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 22 2018, 04:16 PM) *

Thanks.

My problem is the mirror base does not stick to the sticky pads. Anybody else have this issue?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 22 2018, 03:16 PM) *

Thanks.

Silicone has no place anywhere on any car.
Rob-O
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Aug 23 2018, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 22 2018, 03:16 PM) *

Thanks.

Silicone has no place anywhere on any car.

You’ve obviously missed a few key pictures in the “hot chicks” thread in the sandbox.
saigon71
I appreciate all the info, but I still don't know if a fresh mounting pad will hold it by itself or if I need to use the rearview mirror adhesive in addition to the new mounting pad.

Thanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
can't use adhesive with the pad, adhesive is metal to glass only

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Aug 24 2018, 12:43 PM) *

I appreciate all the info, but I still don't know if a fresh mounting pad will hold it by itself or if I need to use the rearview mirror adhesive in addition to the new mounting pad.

Thanks.

Cal
I recently reinstalled my interior mirror with the Permatex adhesive product that's sold at autozone and it worked great....no issues. The base unscrews from the mirror so it makes installing it easier. Just follow the instructions on the Permatex package....I used painters tape to help hold the base in place while the glue set for 24 hours.

porschetub
Used 944 one from Pelican ,stuck really well ,no issues so far,cleaned up mirror and windscreen with acetone after using sharp blade on windscreen and mirror base.
Personally never hand any luck with adhesive.
DdHavtech
Is the base of the mirror supposed to have (or be) metal that goes to the windshield? I saw the picture posted by Cal and it looks like metal. When I got the car the mirror was in the glovebox.

Only the edges of the base are metal and the rest of the inside is like a dampening material and the pads don't stick to it. Maybe that is the issue?

The rest of the 40k mile car runs great.

Thanks guys.
76-914
QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 24 2018, 07:23 PM) *

I recently reinstalled my interior mirror with the Permatex adhesive product that's sold at autozone and it worked great....no issues. The base unscrews from the mirror so it makes installing it easier. Just follow the instructions on the Permatex package....I used painters tape to help hold the base in place while the glue set for 24 hours.

I used that product on my 76 9 years ago and it is still in place however I was left looking at the shiny metal where it mates to the windshield. It drives me nuts every time I walk past that car. Maybe I could have used a black Marks-a-lot before applying the glue? confused24.gif I'll change it when I redo that car in the next year or two. When I stand in front of the car I want this one to look black or dark grey where it attaches. beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(DdHavtech @ Aug 25 2018, 06:04 AM) *

Is the base of the mirror supposed to have (or be) metal that goes to the windshield? I saw the picture posted by Cal and it looks like metal. When I got the car the mirror was in the glovebox.

Only the edges of the base are metal and the rest of the inside is like a dampening material and the pads don't stick to it. Maybe that is the issue?

Thanks guys.

Can you post a pic?
DdHavtech
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 25 2018, 04:45 PM) *

Thanks guys.

Can you post a pic?

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(DdHavtech @ Aug 27 2018, 05:54 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 25 2018, 04:45 PM) *

Thanks guys.

Can you post a pic?

Click to view attachment

That still has the pad on it. Needs to be scraped off to the metal base and a new adhesive pad applied.
TheCabinetmaker
Yep!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.