Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burned 914 in CA Fire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Went to open my email account and this was the lead story. Told about the fires in Redding but had the burnt 914 as the lead picture of the story. Even had burnt Super Beele later on
Larmo63
It had Rivieras on it, the Porsche Gods deemed it unworthy.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 27 2018, 10:29 PM) *

Cold man...
euro911
The fires are fucking up peoples' lives mad.gif
Unobtanium-inc
It always sad to see the fires take a Porsche.
rhodyguy
When you're fleeing, do you take the dog or the 914?
mb911
So for us Midwestern folks explain to me how quick does something like this happen?

Meaning is it a life or death type of situation and you have to leave everything behind. ?
rhodyguy
A 100ft tall wall of flame bearing down on you. Grab the pets and GTFOOD. Reports state the Redding burn was due to a mechanical issue resulting in car fire. The fire tornado was explained nicely on the weather channel.
mb911
So it happens so fast no time for anything.. Sounds like tornadoes in our area..
rhodyguy
If the residents don't clear out BEFORE, when told to evacuate, they wind up driving thru fire to escape.
mb911
I suppose it's like the floods we had here last summer. You just don't think it will happen to you.
914-300Hemi
Very sad. Hope it was insured.
The 914 can be replaced. I would get my dog to safety first before the porsche’s .
Cairo94507
Very sad. My dogs would always come before my Six. I hope the owner of that 914 had it adequately insured. beerchug.gif
napasteve
Intense wildfires are the new normal in the western US. Everyone here needs to remove fuel away from structures AMAP. After our fire last year (burn completely around our home and vineyard), we are doubling down on brush removal here. We're extending our shaded fuel break several hundred feet especially on our north side (where dry fall winds come from). Here is a pic of me siphoning gas out of the 914 last fall to keep our generator going during those fires. 2 weeks with no PG&E. Good times.....

Click to view attachment
Ed_Turbo
Forget the cars. People are losing their homes and lives in these fires. How about a little consideration guys unsure.gif

-Ed
rhodyguy
I'm sure most of us have the deepest sympathy for those caught up in this nightmare. Cars don't mean shit.
sb914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 27 2018, 09:29 PM) *

My sister and her family lives in Redding. There here on vacation, but they don't know what there going home to. chair.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 28 2018, 05:28 AM) *
When you're fleeing, do you take the dog or the 914?

That's why i don't have dogs (or cats) ...
shades.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 28 2018, 05:48 AM) *

So it happens so fast no time for anything.. Sounds like tornadoes in our area..

It's a combination of the hill/mountain terrain and fuel source. The fire actually create their on weather. This includes high winds and quasi-tornadoes. Especially where there are long valleys or glens, the wind created by the fire will whip through like a freight train sending embers for up to a mile or so. Scary shit for sure...
pete-stevers
Losing cars, tools and memories to a fire can really suck....
jimkelly
this is its photo in washington post : (
Larmo63
I'm driving my 914 out of the conflagration and taking the guitars and amps with me.

The dog is blind and belongs to Trudy.
flmont
U crack me up Larmo63,...I would put the dog in the 914 and then drive ...
Socalandy
We need stiffer laws for this crime!!! Look at the tail numbers of the DC 10 working the fire. No photoshop here
euro911
... and it's a turbo cool_shades.gif
larryM
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331981

sad.gif it's only "funny" if ya don't live in fire-tornado-flood country

if that 914 & VW are one of us - reckon that some 40,000 residents are now under evac

- owner likely has no interest in checkin' in here to regale us with "stories of survival"

last year -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...317635&st=0

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...235981&st=0

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=wildfire

Larmo63
I'm driving my 914 out of the conflagration and taking the guitars and amps with me.

I was serious.

Unobtanium-inc
I had the whole city block behind me in Brooklyn go up, a former rope factory. The day before a hearing to decide if it was historical, i.e., couldn't be made into waterfront condos, it burned. My landlord owned it, he had 5 fires in the 7 years I knew him.
The only thing between our office and the fire was a lumberyard, if the fire jumped I was ready, I had a chain already hooked up to my 356, and my truck was backed up to the door. Luckily FDNY knows their stuff and the fire didn't jump.

My Porsche was behind the door next to where the firemen are standing. I would have saved it.
mb911
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 28 2018, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 28 2018, 05:48 AM) *

It's a combination of the hill/mountain terrain and fuel source. The fire actually create their on weather. This includes high winds and quasi-tornadoes. Especially where there are long valleys or glens, the wind created by the fire will whip through like a freight train sending embers for up to a mile or so. Scary shit for sure...

Wow.. Scary.. Each part of the country has something to deal with but firewalls 100 feat tall sounds not good.
Chip
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 28 2018, 10:49 AM) *

I'm sure most of us have the deepest sympathy for those caught up in this nightmare. Cars don't mean shit.

agree.gif
sb914
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jul 28 2018, 06:20 PM) *

We need stiffer laws for this crime!!! Look at the tail numbers of the DC 10 working the fire. No photoshop here

What's up stranger? I seen that 914 jet on tv the other afternoon.Click to view attachment
Valy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 28 2018, 05:42 AM) *

A 100ft tall wall of flame bearing down on you. Grab the pets and GTFOOD. Reports state the Redding burn was due to a mechanical issue resulting in car fire. The fire tornado was explained nicely on the weather channel.

I hope that 914 wasn't the car that had the mechanical issue...
euro911
If it was, ca legislators would probably ban 914s sad.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jul 29 2018, 09:15 PM) *

What's up stranger? I seen that 914 jet on tv the other afternoon.Click to view attachment

red is still the best color.

Sorry to hear about this, I hope they get it under control.

Rich
sithot
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 29 2018, 01:08 AM) *

I had the whole city block behind me in Brooklyn go up, a former rope factory. The day before a hearing to decide if it was historical, i.e., couldn't be made into waterfront condos, it burned. My landlord owned it, he had 5 fires in the 7 years I knew him.
The only thing between our office and the fire was a lumberyard, if the fire jumped I was ready, I had a chain already hooked up to my 356, and my truck was backed up to the door. Luckily FDNY knows their stuff and the fire didn't jump.

My Porsche was behind the door next to where the firemen are standing. I would have saved it.

That's called a "Beneficial Fire" in landlord parlance. wink.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 28 2018, 10:08 PM) *

... and they didn't suspect him of being implicit in setting those fires?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 31 2018, 01:37 PM) *

I'm sure they do. But arson can be hard to prove when everything is burned or melted.

Zach
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 31 2018, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 31 2018, 01:37 PM) *

I'm sure they do. But arson can be hard to prove when everything is burned or melted.

Zach

I lived two blocks away so was on scene fairly early, the landlord was already there, but I know he lived in Jersey. He said he got a call at 6AM, I looked at him straight faced and asked if the call he got said, "It's done."
He didn't laugh, but he was a prick from day one, so what do I have to lose.
flmont
That's what I was thinking 7 fires in that time frame,..money makers,..unless of course no insurance,..you know they don't want to pay out..!!
Mikey914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 30 2018, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ Jul 29 2018, 09:15 PM) *

red is still the best color.

Sorry to hear about this, I hope they get it under control.

Rich

If it gives you any idea of the resources they are bringing in, that aircraft is based in ABQ. I posted in the 914 no clocks thread a few months ago.

It looks like a giant cremecicle
VG-914

Look at the tail numbers of the DC 10 working the fire.

That's cause he's a 14er from Madras, OR. Go see his air museum sometime, its awesome... and so is the 914!
VG-914
that aircraft is based in ABQ.

Fuels up in ABQ. Based in Madras, OR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.