Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How about those Kei cars...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Just an engine swap away from a cone killer.
Dave_Darling
A new version of the 90s' Honda Beat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Beat

Which also reminded me of a certain German car that we all like....

--DD
chrisg
It’s too bad we’ll never see anything like this sold here. I’ve been checking these out for a while now and would love to have one as daily driver. It would fit my commute perfect and I’m getting tired of freezing my butt off on a motorcycle in the winter.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(chrisg @ Jul 28 2018, 07:20 PM) *

It’s too bad we’ll never see anything like this sold here. I’ve been checking these out for a while now and would love to have one as daily driver. It would fit my commute perfect and I’m getting tired of freezing my butt off on a motorcycle in the winter.

You probably won't believe me—as I didn't believe those who told me, even though I knew they knew their stuff and had great taste in cars to boot—but a Fiat 500 Abarth is one of the best kept small-car secrets of them all in the US. Flawed, but fantastic.

I also hear the latest Miata is quite good....

No, not Kei cars, but there really isn't much else close to these two for 2500~ pounds cars. The Abarth was more fun, in many ways, than my GT4.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 28 2018, 03:52 PM) *

--DD

It really is a bummer we won't get these...
Andyrew
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 28 2018, 08:40 PM) *

You probably won't believe me—as I didn't believe those who told me, even though I knew they knew their stuff and had great taste in cars to boot—but a Fiat 500 Abarth is one of the best kept small-car secrets of them all in the US. Flawed, but fantastic.

I also hear the latest Miata is quite good....

No, not Kei cars, but there really isn't much else close to these two for 2500~ pounds cars. The Abarth was more fun, in many ways, than my GT4.

That's how I felt about my Fiesta ST. Way to fun of a car. I was really sad to see it go, but we needed a family hauler and I needed a more comfortable commuter. (Enter Honda pilot for her and Q50 for me...)

There is not much out there that has the turn in of these tiny FWD hatches.
bdstone914

--DD

A 656cc engine in a car? How slow can that be? OK for crowded Japanese city traffic?
Top speed equal to even the speed limit?
Tom_T

--DD

More like the Redux of the 1960's Honda 660 ....

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread....onda-S660/page2

IPB Image

IIRC it was based on Honda's 1960's Formula race engine! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Just wait 25 years, after that you can import anything as is/was, without doing any of the US-DOT geay market mods.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Dave_Darling
The old S600 used some technology from their F1 engine, but was not based on it. It had only 1/3 of the number of cylinders, I believe. It was also front-engine, with an odd chain-driven independent rear suspension.

The Kei car is a mid-engine transverse three-banger (I believe). The name is a call-back to the S600, but that's about it.

As for "can it even go highway speeds", ask that of a Bug owner. The Beat and S660 both make on the order of 65 HP, which is a maximum for the tax class--it may be more in fact. And if old Bugs can get up to freeway speeds with 25-50 HP, something like this can easily do so.

--DD
era vulgaris
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 28 2018, 11:40 PM) *

The Abarth was more fun, in many ways, than my GT4.

I've had my eye on a 500 Abarth. I think they look really good, especially with the factory 17" wheels. And the sound seems to be fantastic with that muffler-less exhaust.
How do you feel about the seating position though? I keep reading that it's too upright and uncomfortable, like sitting on a toilet. And it causes right foot fatigue from the angle the gas pedal is at. That's kind of steered me away from trying one out.
Dave_Darling
The Beat is now past the 25-year limit, so you can legally import them. At least, in some states. Not sure about California.

Here's one being auctioned off in Washington State.

--DD
domer914
QUOTE(chrisg @ Jul 28 2018, 09:20 PM) *

"freezing your butt off" is all relative
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 30 2018, 06:00 AM) *

I've had my eye on a 500 Abarth. I think they look really good, especially with the factory 17" wheels. And the sound seems to be fantastic with that muffler-less exhaust.
How do you feel about the seating position though? I keep reading that it's too upright and uncomfortable, like sitting on a toilet. And it causes right foot fatigue from the angle the gas pedal is at. That's kind of steered me away from trying one out.

Sorry I missed this—to your question, the seating position is[u] really weird when you drive away. It reminded me of the first time I drove a 993, and how it felt like everything was in the wrong relationship. And then it got better..."normal," even. And then other cars felt weird. In the case of the Abarth, that only sorta happened. It always felt different, but I grew to like it. You sit high and can see everything. The steering wheel's "bus" position is awkward initially but "goes away" with time. I grew to like it...sports car pace and agility on back roads, but you look eye to eye with drivers in small pickup trucks, motorcyclists, etc. SUPER easy to get into and out of around town, and I actually found that it was one of the most comfortable cars for long trips I have ever owned (better than my subsequent GT4 and better than my current 911). Turns out, the Italians know a thing or two about seat design + the human body. My two fastest same-day runs from Marin to Monterey and back were in that car, and I felt fresh and refreshed when I got home. Couldn't say that after the same trip in the GT4.

The only reason I am not driving an Abarth now is its lack of back-seat crumple zone for my daughter.

pete
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 7 2018, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 30 2018, 06:00 AM) *

Sorry I missed this—to your question, the seating position is[u] really weird when you drive away. It reminded me of the first time I drove a 993, and how it felt like everything was in the wrong relationship. And then it got better..."normal," even. And then other cars felt weird. In the case of the Abarth, that only sorta happened. It always felt different, but I grew to like it. You sit high and can see everything. The steering wheel's "bus" position is awkward initially but "goes away" with time. I grew to like it...sports car pace and agility on back roads, but you look eye to eye with drivers in small pickup trucks, motorcyclists, etc. SUPER easy to get into and out of around town, and I actually found that it was one of the most comfortable cars for long trips I have ever owned (better than my subsequent GT4 and better than my current 911). Turns out, the Italians know a thing or two about seat design + the human body. My two fastest same-day runs from Marin to Monterey and back were in that car, and I felt fresh and refreshed when I got home. Couldn't say that after the same trip in the GT4.

The only reason I am not driving an Abarth now is its lack of back-seat crumple zone for my daughter.

pete

The Abarths have a rep for being top heavy though. There has been at least one that has rolled at my local AX, and I believe that they are banned or are getting banned for use in SCCA Solo.

Zach
Alphaogre
They covered a JDM imported one recently on Jay Lenos Garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RcyRYVa6U&t=1759s
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 7 2018, 10:12 AM) *

The Abarths have a rep for being top heavy though. There has been at least one that has rolled at my local AX, and I believe that they are banned or are getting banned for use in SCCA Solo.

Zach

I could be wrong, but I think the SCCA banned the regular Fiat 500—but allowed the Abarth. Anyone?

In any event, it was never an issue for me...even when keeping pace with a very well driven 997 Carrera S or being held up by (fast) sport bikes on back roads. The Abarth starts to fall apart past, say, 6 or 7 tenths, for a variety of reasons, but how often do you drive harder on the street? For a daily, it's a HOOT.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 7 2018, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 7 2018, 10:12 AM) *

Zach

I could be wrong, but I think the SCCA banned the regular Fiat 500—but allowed the Abarth. Anyone?

In any event, it was never an issue for me...even when keeping pace with a very well driven 997 Carrera S or being held up by (fast) sport bikes on back roads. The Abarth starts to fall apart past, say, 6 or 7 tenths, for a variety of reasons, but how often do you drive harder on the street? For a daily, it's a HOOT.

I went and looked. They are banned in all the stock car classes, but there is a class which restricts tire choices that they are allowed in. The Abarths, especially with sticky tires, were rolling over. It was less of an issue fore the regular 500, but who wants to AX a regular (modern) 500?!

Zach
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 9 2018, 08:41 AM) *

I went and looked. They are banned in all the stock car classes, but there is a class which restricts tire choices that they are allowed in. The Abarths, especially with sticky tires, were rolling over. It was less of an issue fore the regular 500, but who wants to AX a regular (modern) 500?!

Zach

Interesting. Never once did it give me indication that it was gonna roll over—but I ran Michelin A/S 3 tires and rarely pushed past 6 or 7 tenths. Good to know: Don't put Falkens or similar on an Abarth...and don't race one.

The Assetto Corse cup racers do appear upside down in pics and videos, so there you go.

I don't think the Abarth is the safest choice in modern cars, but then neither is the 914. And both are among the all-time funnest cars I've driven.

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.