Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repair or replace rear valence
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shadowfax
Is this valence repairable and would a body shop work on it? Would it be better to get an aftermarket fiberglass replacement?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

horizontally-opposed
Suspect the answer is, "It depends."

Is your car highly original or a show car, or is it just a driver and/or a bit of a hot rod? If the former, you want a steel valance. If the latter, you've got freedom...

Is it rusty, or really rusty? If it's rusty, pitch it.

Or is it merely dented up? If so, get an estimate from a body shop to rework it, prep it with little or no filler, and paint it in your desired color. Weigh that against the price of a good used stock one or a new fiberglass piece plus prep and paint.

Want to save weight? Fiberglass wins, but not by much. Fit is pretty good on mine, actually quite good, but the edges near the rear wheels are incorrect—in that it doesn't "roll" around the edge like the steel piece. Doesn't bother me, but it might bother you?

YMMV, but I've liked my fiberglass rear valance for 20 years now. Got it because I went to a sport muffler and wanted to lose the stock "hole" for the stock muffler tip, figuring I would redo my metal one later. Never did, and just traded it away to someone who needs a good stock one. There are other good stock ones out there...

pete
DRPHIL914
yikes thats pretty rough. i think they will charge you way more than its worth to fix- there are plenty out there in better shape.
Shadowfax
Thanks for the replies. Am getting the car painted so maybe I’ll ask them what they’d do. Would be nice if RD made the front and rear valances
DRPHIL914
i think i still have my original single outlet one in pretty nice shape, if you are interested let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.