Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 1.7L finally in my driveway
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover

Ok, I bought a 1971 1.7L in Illinois and started home to Wicconsin. It started a little slow the idle jumped up and down. Once it warmed up it ran great, the tranny only let me hit reverse,4th and 5th (I think) maybe 2nd and 3rd
It spurted at high rpm after about 30 miles or so.
I put new gas in with Lucas additives and it seems to have helped but it occasionally back fires
First job is rebuild tranny
mb911
I would not rebuild it rather do a side shift conversion.. Its way easier.
milwlandrover
I meant just rebuilt the upper end. I was told there is a kit that would have the plastic bushings that will drastically help define the gear. Right now finding reverse is tough and I think I am driving in 2 and 3 or 4 and 5th gear. The shifter goes so far to the left I feel like I am riding side saddle.
maf914
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Jul 29 2018, 12:08 PM) *

The first thing you should do is check all of the bushings on the gear shift linkage, from the base of the shift lever to the transmission. When these fail and disintegrate there will be so much play that you cannot find the gears while shifting.
krazykonrad
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Jul 30 2018, 08:08 AM) *

Ok, I bought a 1971 1.7L in Illinois and started home to Wicconsin. It started a little slow the idle jumped up and down. Once it warmed up it ran great, the tranny only let me hit reverse,4th and 5th (I think) maybe 2nd and 3rd
It spurted at high rpm after about 30 miles or so.
I put new gas in with Lucas additives and it seems to have helped but it occasionally back fires

Newbie thread ...don't assume the trans is toast before researching the real issue huge info on here ,most likely bad bushings ,good place to start ,then see,you may be surprised or highly pissed off as I'am with my trans cause it is buggered.
Good luck.
milwlandrover
Are you still interested in looking at my 1973 914 with a 2L motor? The car is in beautiful downtown Cudahy Wisconsin. It is a complete car but something is amiss with the motor. I was told it had "thrown a rod" but it doesn't sound right to me. If you are interested let me know. Also if you can give me a ballpark of what it will cost to look at it, that would be great. I just went through a divorce and although the 914 is free and clear, a lot of my "extra" money is gone. I am not in the line for free cheese, but I am not looking at brand new Porsches either.

thanks for your help.

cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.