914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
I am going to have to rebuild the shifter on my tranny. All new bushings
What parts will I have to order? 1971 1.7L
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Jul 29 2018, 02:08 PM) *

Send a message to Dr. Evil, he knows all...
milwlandrover
Where would I find him?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Jul 29 2018, 02:34 PM) *

Where would I find him?

go to the member list and search for Dr Evil
milwlandrover
Thx
worn
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Jul 29 2018, 01:08 PM) *

I am not too far away and have rebuilt a couple 901 boxes.
McMark
Are you looking to rebuild the transmission or just get the shifter bushings all working right?

Do you have a side shifter or the original tail shifter? Gotta know this one before anyone can help.
milwlandrover
How can you tell? I would assume it is the original (tail shifter?) but I don't know. I can not tell what gear I am in. there are no definitive "gates". The shifter hit reverse, but there is about 5 inches of play to the left of reverse so the shift will go way to the left.
milwlandrover
I bought this on Sunday in Illinois. It had about 1/4 tank of gas (the OP said the gauge was working). I drove to a gas station and the front hood cable broke so I could not put gas in it. I drove about 30 miles and it started sputtering and back firing. I had it towed home. Once home I removed the bumper and reinstalled the cable. put new gas in with some Lucas additive. It drove good until I got on the free-way and it began to sputter again after about 30 minutes. I slowed down and the sputtering went away. I wanted to run some good gas through it so I took it out away and it ran fine. So now I can concentrate on the tranny. It is just real sloppy. I read you can replace the bushings pretty easily but depending on the writer the results vary. Any suggestions?
milwlandrover
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Jul 30 2018, 05:31 AM) *

How can you tell? I would assume it is the original (tail shifter?) but I don't know. I can not tell what gear I am in. there are no definitive "gates". The shifter hit reverse, but there is about 5 inches of play to the left of reverse so the shift will go way to the left.

mepstein
Sounds like a normal tail shifter. But you really have to replace the bushings first.

My first car was a ‘71 - 914 so I’m used to the vague shifting. I taught my son how to drive my 71 when he was learning how to drive and now he can drive any car. The tail shifter will always have slop and rebuilding the trans does not guarantee better shifting.
milwlandrover
So is there a "bushing kit" that I can start with?
mb911
Yes shop Tangerine racing products, 914 rubber.com they are great source's.
milwlandrover
Thanks for all your help. I love the car!
r_towle
Sounds like a crappy first day drive!

Lay down under the back and see if the shifter rod goes all the way to the rear of the tranny, or if it stops midway.
At the rear, tail shifter
Midway, side shifter.

If you are not sure, post a pic
PanelBilly
Let me explain a little bit. The shifter rod passes through the firewall and there’s a bushing there. Grab the robe and wiggle it. If there’s a lot of play ( very likely) then the bushing needs to be replaced. Tangerine has a cool replacement that eliminates the play. A stock bushing will help a lot too. That’s the first place to check and it’s an easy fix. You’ll need to remove the rod and replace the two cone screws (one near the firewall and one at the tranny). Buy those before you pull everything apart. There a great explaination on how to adjust the alignment when you put it back together. Just search for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.