Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: need small flashlight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I'm looking for a small LED flashlight. I'd like to buy several to keep in my tool box, various drawers around the house, in the car, etc. I have several different ones, but they all break-the light fails to work for some reason (yes, I checked the batteries!). The free ones from Harbor Freight are too bulky and the batteries are a PITA to change. I'd like one that will stand up to a little "gentle abuse"-dropping, dirt, moisture, children, etc. I'd like a compact light, that is bright enough to work up close. I don't need a tactical light. I prefer one that has a button to turn on, but the twist-on ones are fine.

I was looking at the AA Maglites, but they are pricey ($24 for a 6" light). I'd like to buy about 5 or 6 lights, but over $100 for flashlights seems a bit much. I'm sure they meet all my requirements, but I thought I'd ask around before buying anything.

Anyone use the Defiant brand ones from Home Depot?

Socalandy
Nebo big Larry COB LED, to brightness settings and red strobe. Magnetic base $20 and super brite
Olympic 914
Fenix LD02.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld02-led-flashlight/

It may be above your projected price range …. BUT.

I carry a Fenix LD01 (since discontinued) every day, sometimes its the only thing in my pocket. and I use it almost every day for something.

you know everyday it will get dark, so be prepared.

its very small, not much bigger than a AAA battery and puts out fantastic amount of light. LED and runs forever.

3 modes

High - 100 Lumens

Mid - 25 lumens

Low - 8 Lumens

I bought an LD02 for the day I loose my LD01. which I have dropped, and run through the washer. and its still ticking.

A little less expensive is the Fenix E01 but its only one mode and 13 Lumens. for 10.95 . I have one of these in my motorcycle jacket.

Also check out the Streamlight Nano for your keychain.

If you always have a good one in your pocket you really don't need one in your toolbox, car, drawer etc.

My GF thinks I have a flashlight fetish... unsure.gif
Olympic 914
Sorry, looks like Fenix discontinued the LD02

But the E05 is also pretty nice. 3 modes and 85 lumens top.

Its the top one in this picture.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Really depends on the use for choosing a flashlight. There are thousands to choose from.

My local FLAPS has a bucket of them for $2.95 each. Amazon will sell you a bundle of cheap flashlights. Or you can go with some name brands. I have Fenix and Streamlight along with a bunch of others. Couple dozen now that I'm thinking about it. My Fenix and Streamlight units are over $100 each but I have an assortment of other cheaper lights. I even have some $2 lights plus I still have a big 6V flashlight from the 1980's.

Unobtanium-inc
Send me your address, I'll end you a bunch, one for the glovebox, one for the toolbox, and the added bonus, one side is a flashlight, the other a lighted pen, so you can write in your journal in the dark!
Rand
Sounds like this is out of your budget, but I have to say, worth every penny. I use them on my bike but they are also super compact in your pocket when you slip it out of the clip. Nothing like having 1200 lumens handy! Yes, 1200. This isn't your trinket pocket light - you can get those at any convenience mart or with some cheapo shit with somebody's lame sticker on it. If you want serious light, you have to pay a little more and they will have lithium ion batteries and be usb chargable.

https://www.niterider.com/product/6781-lumina-1200-boost/

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I second the niterider LED's posted by Rand. I have two of them and they just wrk and are seriously bright. beerchug.gif
914 RZ-1
Thanks to all for the input so far. I'm looking for one that is about 6" or less long, uses AA or AAA batteries and is cheap enough for me to buy about 6-10. I prefer US-made, but those can be pricey-I saw $500 flashlights! Seriously, five hundred dollars. WTF.gif

I looked at the Fenix E12 ($27-$35) and E05 ($20-27), Coast G20 ($10, but need to find out COO) and others from SureFire (too expensive; I think the cheapest one was $70).

I may go with the Maglites I can get for $15 at Home Depot. The G20 is in contention as well.

Saw some links for some Chinese-made ones that are tempting (including a Craftsman-branded one that I have and like), but I prefer to support US manufacturing. I bought the Craftsman before I found out that they went to sh!+ and off-shored everything to China.

In my research I found that Garagejournal.com has lots of discussions about flashlights. People are passionate about them! Candlepowerforums.com is all about flashlights. Did you know they have heat management for flashlights! Fascinating! (where is the smartass emoji?)
914 RZ-1

Nebo big Larry COB LED, to brightness settings and red strobe. Magnetic base $20 and super brite

I like it, but it's a little big. But, I may get one for a light for working on the car! Thanks!
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 29 2018, 03:51 PM) *

Fenix LD02.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld02-led-flashlight/

It may be above your projected price range …. BUT.

I carry a Fenix LD01 (since discontinued) every day, sometimes its the only thing in my pocket. and I use it almost every day for something.

you know everyday it will get dark, so be prepared.

its very small, not much bigger than a AAA battery and puts out fantastic amount of light. LED and runs forever.

3 modes

High - 100 Lumens

Mid - 25 lumens

Low - 8 Lumens

I bought an LD02 for the day I loose my LD01. which I have dropped, and run through the washer. and its still ticking.

A little less expensive is the Fenix E01 but its only one mode and 13 Lumens. for 10.95 . I have one of these in my motorcycle jacket.

Also check out the Streamlight Nano for your keychain.

If you always have a good one in your pocket you really don't need one in your toolbox, car, drawer etc.

My GF thinks I have a flashlight fetish... unsure.gif

Thanks. I don't have room on my keychain for anymore anything! I do like that these are small and bright. I thought of getting just one (I need about 6) and trying it.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 29 2018, 05:12 PM) *

Sounds like this is out of your budget, but I have to say, worth every penny. I use them on my bike but they are also super compact in your pocket when you slip it out of the clip. Nothing like having 1200 lumens handy! Yes, 1200. This isn't your trinket pocket light - you can get those at any convenience mart or with some cheapo shit with somebody's lame sticker on it. If you want serious light, you have to pay a little more and they will have lithium ion batteries and be usb chargable.

https://www.niterider.com/product/6781-lumina-1200-boost/

I have one of these for my mtn bike. Pretty bichin, but I just want a AA/AAA battery-powered light for my office, cars, junk drawer, etc.

I'm sick of the cheapo lights; they always break or stop working at the worst time. Today I was working behind my computer and the light I was using (a Costco special, I think), bumped the desk and stopped working. Ridiculous! The light looks beefy: metal case, feel heavy, bright light, etc, but could take a bump? It hasn't been abused, either. I can keep buying cheap lights, or get something decent and stop whining. Hence my post to see what all the cool kids are doing.
cary
This is what I carry and use all day long ..............
https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/det...dex/microstream
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 29 2018, 04:28 PM) *

Really depends on the use for choosing a flashlight. There are thousands to choose from.

My local FLAPS has a bucket of them for $2.95 each. Amazon will sell you a bundle of cheap flashlights. Or you can go with some name brands. I have Fenix and Streamlight along with a bunch of others. Couple dozen now that I'm thinking about it. My Fenix and Streamlight units are over $100 each but I have an assortment of other cheaper lights. I even have some $2 lights plus I still have a big 6V flashlight from the 1980's.

I see your point. After doing some research, I thought I might just buy one of those fancy lights, just to see what all the fuss is about. People rave about Fenix and SureFire and a few others.
I don't want to worry about dropping them, getting them dirty or wet or my kids "playing" with them. I just want one that works.
Rand
Of course you don't need to spend $500 [looks like that was edited out]. But a "aaa-powered" light is a different thing than a lipoly-powered 2000 lumen light. I spent $90 on mine and it paid off because of how I use it. If you don't care about light output efficiency then just pick up anything, no need for discussion.
euro911
It's a guy thing ... we can never have too many flashlights. I find myself buying brighter ones, smaller ones, specialty ones, etc.

I have one of these in every vehicle - they charge up in the cigar lighter/accessory socket(s). Just about every FLAP store carries them.

Click to view attachment

https://www.google.com/search?q=cigarette+l...440&bih=710
RRietman
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 29 2018, 08:39 PM) *

It's a guy thing ... we can never have too many flashlights. I find myself buying brighter ones, smaller ones, specialty ones, etc.

I have one of these in every vehicle - they charge up in the cigar lighter/accessory socket(s). Just about every FLAP store carries them.

Click to view attachment

I have one in my truck, looks like marks, always works great, very brite led----- also no battery--- it's a capacitor. don't know where it came from, was a gift. but I know they are out there cheep. definetly the way to go.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 29 2018, 08:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The lighter in my 914 doesn't work. It's on the list to fix a some point. I don't have a lighter or a USB port in my sock drawer though! lol-2.gif Thanks for the info. I may just have to get one. Like you say, we're guys... we can never have too many flashlights! I just want them to work.
saigon71
I pick one of these up at Harbor Freight for free (coupon) each time I go. They are great little lights:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-3-12-...ight-69112.html

rmdinmd
agree.gif I have one or two in every car and a number in the house; you can also get the cheap "work" lights with magnet for free also. I have only had to replace the batteries in them. For work I used the minimag led's but they only worked reliably for a year or two then needed to be replaced because of corrosion. so; depending on what you want to use them for, you can't beat them for the price.
McMark
I've bought a few of these for the shop. They're rechargeable through any typical USB charger, so you can keep it topped up in the car. Pushbutton turn on. 5 brightness levels. Rugged enough to survive life in a full time shop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJJYZ7...=UTF8&psc=1

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.